The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

18th Annual Delta and Bay Extravaganza
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmcclish

City/Region: Santa Maria
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Marcia Jane
Photos: Marcia Jane
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: GRAB THAT LAST SPOT! Reply with quote

Seeing one spot left on the forthcoming Delta/Bay Extravaganza, I want to make sure that all C-brats look at this opportunity and take advantage of it. This event is an outstanding experience! It provides a wide variety of experiences as you motor from Rio Vista, near Sacramento, all the way to San Francisco over a four day period. There is even time to get some fishing in for Sacramento River Sturgeon, and a chance to experience a bit of old California on a private 1000 acre island. The Marcia Jane has taken part in this event several times in the last 11 years. It is by far the highlight of our boating experiences since we purchased to MARCIA JANE in 2008. This event has been coordinated by Jim Gibson (Pounder), who has planned and organized this event for the last 18 years. Jim and Kathy are two of the nicest people you'll ever meet and it's been a real treat to know them.

Alas, we will not be participating in this years Extravaganza because of my physical condition, but I would grab that last spot if I could. Jim, I remember encouraging you to go after a knee replacement, since my replacements were working so well. Now maybe not so much. The metal knees lasted 20 years and I feel blessed about that. I have since had both knees replaced again. The first surgery was flawless. The second surgery developed a staph infection that has had required several emergency room visits and then 2 bouts of infusion (42 days straight each time), as well as another surgery to remove the metal knee and replace it with a cement spacer. I'll be using a walker until the infection is gone and hopefully will get a new knee in approximately April.

With a good result from surgery as well as physical therapy, we just might make the August Two Harbors event. If not, the Marcia Jane may be put for for sale. We love that boat and Marcia will have to be convinced that I'm not able to realistically continue use of the boat that we love so much.

Fellow C-brats, we wish we could join you on this cruise, but will watch your voyage from afar. God bless, good weather and calm seas!

Kent McClish

MARCIA JANE
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent, So sorry you are not able to fill that last spot. It does sound like you have had generally great success with your past knee replacements, and here's hoping and praying for continued new successes with the replacement replacements.

And I agree totally, that Delta Extravaganza is a special and unique trip. Also a highlight of my C-Dory experience.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1333&id=JC_Lately_SleepyC_Flat_Blue_070&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some day..... Wrapping up Nuro/Cardio VA appointments on 20April before heading NW. Yall have a blast and I hope to boat with some of you this summer some way, some where.
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent - so sorry to hear of your knee replacement surgery challenges. I hope you finally get some success with the procedure and that you can join us in Catalina this year. It would be nice to use your boat another time before you have to put it up for sale.

We all have our health issues. I too have been challenged. In July I had a stroke after walking 200 miles across England from the Irish Sea to the North Sea with Kathy. Luckily I had the stroke in my front yard on return and Kathy got me to the ER quickly so they could use the miracle drug TPA to bust up the clot in my brain. I am doing pretty well now, but the stroke really shook me up, and made me realize that we will not be around this place forever, and that someone else will have to eventually be leading some of these C-Dory trips.

Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We now have 9 boats signed up for this Extravaganza as follows:

1. Jim & Kath (Pounder)
2. John & Robbin (Dinner Belle II)
3. Floyd & Eiko (Far C'r)
4. Karl (Tessa)
5. John & Laurie (Slack Time)
6. Steve et. al. (Dora-Jean)
7. Tony & Diane (C-View II)
8. Roger & PJ (C-Hawk)
9. Joel & Susan (SEA3PO).

We have room for one (1) more vessel. Please sign up if you are interested.
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the moral of the story is "The Older we get the Better we was"

Hope to see you back on your feet soon Kent.

I would also like to correct the list, it will be myself and Bernie on his boat Vega.

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
riversun45

City/Region: United States
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Gypsy river
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Delta Bay Extravaganza Reply with quote

Riversun45 on Gypsy River would like to sigh up.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent, sorry to hear about your knee (and back problems earlier) that somehow cause schedule issues right around the Delta trip every year. Like Jim said, it'd be real nice if you could make Catalina later this year. We're all getting older. And if someone tells others he/she is feeling better than they did 5 or 10 years ago, I'd consider that a lie. It's a challenge to keep all cylinders firing.

Jim, you and Kath are the foundation of these cruises, a substitute won't be the same, so hang in there.

Floyd, tell Bernie to bring his "Northrup gloves", I'll bring mine!

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herein is the itinerary for our 18th Annual, Delta/Bay Extravaganza, 2020 C-Dory event. Our schedule will be like last year, but instead of two days at the Duck club we will try to go to Sausalito this year for one of the days.

There is a request for attendees to send a $80 check for marina reservations. All this is described below.

1. Wednesday, April 29th, Delta Marina, Rio Vista
Harbormaster Bill (707) 374-2315

• Launch fee of $10.00 to be paid individually, on check-in
• Vehicle and trailer parked in the gated lot at the end of the marina
• Parking, $5 per day, Wednesday to Sunday ($25), paid on check-in
• Pay total $35 ($10+$25) in cash to this Marina on check-in.

If you want to come a day early on Tuesday, April 28th, the overnight on-the-dock charge is 85 cents per foot, per night, for a vessel.

Wednesday, April 29th, leave Rio Vista (Delta Marina) at 12:00 Noon, and arrive at Wheeler Island Duck Club, midafternoon. On Wednesday, Kath and I plan to launch our own vessel about 10:00 AM, at Rio Vista. We then will all leave Rio Vista, as a C-Dory Group, at Noon, and head down river to Wheeler Island.

2. Wednesday April 29th, Wheeler Island Private Duck Club
Jim’s cell phone (916) 799-0286

• Boats rafted double, boat-to-boat, at Club dock, 25 foot boats in first
• Bring enough boat fenders to raft up
• No shore power or water hookups
• Restrooms and showers in the clubhouse
• No marina fees!

John and Robbin are hosting a BBQ dinner for everyone on Wednesday night. Kath and I are hosting a bacon and egg breakfast for everyone on Thursday morning.

This year we are staying just one night at the Duck Club (Wednesday night). Please bring your fishing gear and fishing licenses if you want to go fishing from the banks of the Duck Club on Wednesday. Fishing is generally good for strippers.

3.Thursday, April 30th, Sausalito Schoonmaker Point Marina
Harbor Master Bill Hughes (415) 331-5550

• Cost (without power) of $1.25 per foot, per night, per vessel
• Cash only, paid individually, at check-in
• Key deposit at check-in, on credit card
• Rest rooms and showers

Thursday, April 30th leave Wheeler Island at 9:00 AM to transverse San Pablo Bay and arrive at the City of Sausalito (Schoonmaker Point Marina).

At Schoonmaker Point Marina we will be staying on “F” Dock. As a navigation aid, line up on Day Marker #6, on the way into, and out of, the Sausalito channel.

“F” Dock is not well protected from certain wind directions. Because of our start date there is some uncertainty on the weather. If there are strong Southerly winds when we are at Sausalito, we may not be able to get into Schoonmaker because they close this dock down for unsafe conditions.

Like most of the entire trip, we will just play it out real time, and improvise as needed. We can always stay at the Duck club another night if need be. We will just have to wait to see if I can get the Sausalito reservation one month in advance of our trip.

Sausalito is a good place to refill, or top-off your fuel tanks for the rest of the trip. On Thursday night we may go to the Sausalito Fish restaurant for dinner.

4. Friday, May 1st and Saturday, May 2nd, San Francisco South Beach Harbor
Harbor Master Linda Green (415) 495-4911

• Cost of $35 per night, regardless of boat size (Prepaid)
• Non-refundable deposit, paid in advance, $10 per vessel (Prepaid)
• Rest rooms and showers
• Shore power and water hookups available (power adapter with a deposit)
• Everyone on “A” dock with assigned slip numbers (given later in trip).

Friday, May 1st, leave Sausalito on your own individual schedules and head across the Bay to SF South Beach Harbor. Our reservations are all set for South Beach Harbor for two nights.

On Friday and Saturday nights, we will have dinner at one of the casual nearby San Francisco neighborhood restaurants for those that are interested in attending. John and Laurie, maybe you could please arrange to use your reciprocal yacht club privileges to allow us to have dinner on one of the nights (Friday or Saturday) at the South Beach Yacht Club?

5. Sunday, May 3rd

Leave San Francisco at dawn’s early light, and return to Rio Vista to arrive before Noon. On Sunday, we will head non-stop back to Rio Vista. We should pull into the docks at Rio Vista, approximately 11:00 AM, Sunday morning.

Per tradition, anyone willing, is invited to have breakfast at the Strippers Restaurant in Rio Vista, curtesy of Jim and Kath, after we get our boats retrieved and put on their trailers. This is usually by about 1:00 PM, Sunday.

xxxxxx

The above itinerary seems like a rigid schedule. In fact, anything can happen along the way to throw it off. Several years we were not able to meet our plan as scheduled, due to weather conditions.

In the Central/West Delta main channels and in San Pablo Bay, one wants to avoid together the incoming wind, and the outgoing tides, as they can be nasty enough, in combination, to even put a mighty C-Dory out-of- commission. Once you are West of Pittsburgh, the water channels become wider and bigger, and the wind is usually going to be coming at you from the West, and if the tide is going out, hang on for a rough passage!

For some years, we have lucked out with relatively calm weather, and we have been able to safely finish off the entire trip itinerary, as we originally planned it. However, in a few years we have had to modify our schedule substantially, and stop at interim locations, or even stay over at a given location an extra day or so, to “ride out” the passing weather.

For full disclosure, for the new attendees, this Extravaganza covers approximately 200 NM in five (5) days, and there is always unpredictability in weather and water conditions. The more experienced, competent, and relaxed Skippers have generally enjoyed this trip the most.

As always, each boat Captain is solely responsible for his/her own boat’s, and passenger’s, ultimate safety and well-being. Each Skipper is not to rely on the judgment (or lack thereof) of the Pack Commodore. It greatly helps the Group to show up with your vessel and engine(s) in good operating condition and with full tanks of fuel when you leave Rio Vista.

The C-Dory Group will communicate during this trip on VHF Channel 69. We will also monitor Channel 16.

There is no need for anyone to bring food for either Wednesday night, or Thursday morning. Please feel free though to host your own dock happy hour at any of our destinations. Everyone is on their own for breakfasts and lunches throughout the trip. Some folks bring their own food with them, and others just go out to eat, as there are plenty of good restaurants to eat breakfast and lunch nearby. Also, some have dinners on their own boats, and others go out to dinner as a group.

xxxxxx

This is our 18th time for this C-Dory cruise, and we have always enjoyed ourselves, and the other attendees, or we would not keep doing it. We again look forward to the trip this year. We never know when this will be the last year, we can do this, due to inevitable health reasons.

This year, like year’s past, we need to collect some marina reservation fees in advance. The advance marina reservation fees, per vessel, this year, like last year, are $80 for San Francisco ($35 x 2) + $10).

You will pay your own launch fees and parking costs at Rio Vista when you check-in there. You will also pay your own dock fees at Sausalito. The San Francisco marina must be paid in advance. There are no fees for our stay at Wheeler Island!

Please send a check for $80.00 to confirm your trip reservation. This fee is non-refundable, even if you do not show up, for whatever reason, as San Francisco will not refund it. Along with your check, please provide (1) the full first and last names for yourself and crew; (2) your vessel name; and (3) your vessel CF number. This information is used for marina reservations.

Please send your $80 check, payable to Jim Gibson, along with the above requested information, to Jim Gibson, at 15 Noah Court, Sacramento, California, 95831. Please send your check by March 29, 2020 (less than two months from now). If we do not receive your check by then we will assume that you are not going.

We have 10 boats signed up for this Extravaganza as follows:

1. Jim & Kath (Pounder)
2. John & Robbin (Dinner Belle II)
3. Floyd & Bernie (Vega)
4. Karl (Tessa)
5. John & Laurie (Slack Time)
6. Steve et. al. (Dora-Jean)
7. Tony & Diane (C-View II)
8. Roger & PJ (C-Hawk)
9. Joel & Susan (SEA3PO)
10. Riversun 45 (Gypsy River).

This is the maximum number of vessels that this trip allows due to limited dock space at the Duck Club and in San Francisco.

Thank you for attending this event. As always, we look forward to seeing everyone April 29th. Hopefully we will again get some good weather this year.

If there are any questions, please call me. Kath and I are looking forward to another fun C-Dory gathering.

Sincerely,
Jim & Kath
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to update everyone. I have received marina fees from eight of our ten vessels. Thanks to all who have sent in their fees.

I have not received marina fees from Tessa and Slack Time. Please send these marina fees into me over the next two weeks so that I receive them by March 29th (as requested above).

Looking forward to the 18th Annual Delta/Bay Extravaganza. More later.

Jim & Kath
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All.

Due to the Coronavirus we are canceling the Catalina Offshore Adventure for 2020 (at least for myself and John E.). Two Harbors is still in a lockdown on the bar, restaurant, and BBQ facilities.

John (Dinner Belle II) and I do not think it is worth it to go now. We would have to stay in our boats the whole time and we could not socialize much.

So sorry that we have had to cancel this event that we so much look forward to. (I even bought a new small outboard motor for this specific trip).

Godwilling, we will reschedule this trip for about the same time next year. Hopefully we will all get to use our C-Dory's by then.
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, posted in the wrong place!

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: