Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol, I just turned it on, you are right, about 3/4" of the screen is black on all 4 sides, and why the 12" looks huge in proportion to the helm station. The 9" seems good to me, maybe the next generation will go edge to edge. This one has less dead space than my old Garmins.
1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this topic is about using a 12" display and all the ways it can be mounted. But it has neglected one display: the PC, which can have up to a 15" display and costs 1/4 of a 12" screen.

One can use a PC with a host of different navigation software, but only one is free and that is OpenCpn. Add a puck GPS and AIS input and you have a full featured program that will beat Naviopnics or Lowrance. Costs only $600 for the computer and a C-Dory cabin is an excellent place to use a computer, dry and even temp. A puck GPS is $50 and best of all the US charts are free. That's right, no cost for any US chart, provided from NOAA, the source of all US charting. And for those of you who cruise in Canada, for $20 you can get either the east or west coast of Canada. And that's a bargain. I don't need to point out that one can do a lot more with a PC: browse the internet, write a letter, even keep a log.

Also, one can move it to the best viewing place, on the dash or with a RAM mount in the V-berth entrance. You'll also need an inverter, a small one costs $25 if you don't already have one.

That"s $700 for a big screen display. Computer come in 10" to 15" sizes and I've even seen them up to 17".

Boris
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NMEA 2000 networks connected to chartplotters easily give a full engine readout, radar, bottom profile, stereo control, satellite weather, AIS and are resistant to salt air corrosion.

We also use 2 large GPS enabled tablets with Navionics, my PC is our 3rd backup.

No free charts of Mexico except some down here are using open CPN, which I have been unsuccessfull using, my lack of computer skills I am sure.

My current Garmin owned Navionics version is pathetic compared to the presale version of a few years ago down here in Mexico. Come to think of it it more resembles the Garmin Bluecharts lack of detail that I have had down here.

I bought the new type Simrad that has a touchscreen + manual controls, I would give it a 7 out of 10 because of the complcated menu commands and a marginal owners manual.

I still prefer Navionics to Garmin Bluecharts and C-map which I have used both of down here.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used OpenCPN and haven't found it to be more complicated than Rose Point Coastal Explorer, for instance. In fact, I've used Fugawi, Coastel Explorer, Capn, just to name a few and they all tend to follow the same routine; learn one and move on to the next. And, since it's free, you can install it on your desk top computer and pre-plan your trips.

Here is the link to the OpenCpn Users Manual. If you use it, it'll prove a complete nav program. In fact, I'm using it right now to check the lat/long positions in "Exploring the North Coast of British Columbia".

Boris
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are that any instrument in front of either the port, center or the starboard windows, that even partially obstructs the outside view, starting from the bow of the boat in any direction may be an impedance to safe navigation. What one can see is the first priority. a combination of eyesight and electronics are next followed by electronics only when necessary.
http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text
Another_cdory

City/Region: Spokane Valley
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Whoa Nelly!
Photos: Whoa Nelly!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject: simrad 12 evo3 Reply with quote

The information provided by the electronics aids the visual sight. Think about the sensors on newer cars as you back up. You have important information provided that would have been hidden with line-of-sight. The Simrad 12 and7 combo that I use on the Whoa Nelly! with radar gives me situational awareness that supersedes line of site and is a bonus.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Whoa-Nelly%21&id=20180510_193532&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: