The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Major Maintenance Milestones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Major Maintenance Milestones Reply with quote

Can anyone sorta tell a rough idea of what/when to expect major milestones on smaller OB's? I see T-Sim has about 1200hrs on his twin 40 Hondas and I'm just curious what to expect around 1500, and then of course 2,000 hours.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=340321#340321

digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin, if you get that boat I would move the fuel filters out of the cockpit area and into the splash well. Ron
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1999 Honda 40’s were still running strong in 2019, when I traded them in for Honda 60’s. If my cruising was more of a local nature & not so extreme in remote locations, I would still be running them. With good maintenance, past 2000 hours should be normally made with out major repair. Mine were approaching 2400 hours & like I previously said still running strong with out major repairs.

The boat rental at Bridge Bay on Yellowstone Lake has a fleet of 19 foot aluminum boats with 40 hp Honda motors. The mechanic there responsible for their care told me they are replaced at 2000 hours. He also stated they had never had a major repair on one one of their 40 hp Honda motors with less then 2000 hours. These rentals take a beating & are out of service due to the seasonal operation about 9 months of the year.

Jay

pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digger wrote:
...if you get that boat I would move the fuel filters out of the cockpit area and into the splash well...

Why? Aren't they accessible where they are? Thanks.

DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digger wrote:
Dustin, if you get that boat I would move the fuel filters out of the cockpit area and into the splash well. Ron

you have a keen eye!

Hunkydory wrote:
My 1999 Honda 40’s were still running strong in 2019, when I traded them in for Honda 60’s. If my cruising was more of a local nature & not so extreme in remote locations, I would still be running them. With good maintenance, past 2000 hours should be normally made with out major repair. Mine were approaching 2400 hours & like I previously said still running strong with out major repairs.

The boat rental at Bridge Bay on Yellowstone Lake has a fleet of 19 foot aluminum boats with 40 hp Honda motors. The mechanic there responsible for their care told me they are replaced at 2000 hours. He also stated they had never had a major repair on one one of their 40 hp Honda motors with less then 2000 hours. These rentals take a beating & are out of service due to the seasonal operation about 9 months of the year.

Jay

thanks Jay!
part of me anticipates being on the water more with my next boat than I was with my previous one. Hard to believe because I spent a LOT of time on that boat. a LOT. But, we lived over an hour away from water... now I live in Gig Harbor, 5 minutes from the launch and a plethora of marinas so I'm hoping to put 2,000 hours on it myself Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: