The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lake Chelan: Updates for 2019-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After spending one rough night at Safety Harbor I laugh at the name.
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester wrote:
After spending one rough night at Safety Harbor there I laugh at the name.

I believe the campground descriptions provided by USFS are helpful more for those seeking shelter on land. In that regard, safety harbor is well sheltered from wind if you tuck your tent up in the rocks. BUT, it was wiped out by flash flooding. So yeah, maybe renaming it would be wise 😂. Maybe “less likely to die harbor”, or “go back to 25-mile creek harbor”?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel, Great to hear you are out enjoying that boat. There are some places that are dockable on the lake but there are not many that would give a quiet night if the winds shifted from uplake to downlake during the night. They are also meant for smaller boats. Our size will maybe fit 2 per side, but somebody is going to get some bounce.

There is fuel up at Stehekin. I know that is a question I raised earlier in the thread. It is non-ethanol and they are proud of it so be prepared. ( I believe I paid about $4.60 per gallon. ) And the Stehekin docks are included with the park or forest service docks at $5.00 per night, but you have to get them before you get onto the lake. They are available at the State Parks, and several places in town.

The predominant wind is down lake, meaning that it blows from the NW end (Stehekin) down the lake towards Manson and Chelan. When I was there it was an Upwind lake and the docks at Stehekin were very bouncy. (Meaning extra fenders and lines for sure.)

There are basically no anchorage areas between Manson and the north end and it is 40 miles, but there are park docks along the way, and there are pit toilets at each. There is essentially (actually) no radio service on the lake. The Lake Chelan Boat Company boats (there is typically one on the lake each day) do not respond on any of the typical channels -- 16, 13, 9, and there is no Vessel Traffic system. If there is a Forrest Service boat on the lake, they do monitor 16. Beginning sometime in 2020 there will be a new passenger ferry, a 40something catamaran, outboard powered, running daily from Stehekin down to Manson and back leaving Uplake in the morning and returning same day.

There are several launch sites, 2 State Parks, and a county park that has a multiple lane launch ramp. I overnighted at the Chelan State Park. Be advised that they have aluminum bull rails that are not particularly friendly to your dock lines so chafing gear of some kind is a good idea.

It is an extremely scenic lake and spectacularly clear water.

Go and enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnowTexan wrote:
Chester wrote:
After spending one rough night at Safety Harbor there I laugh at the name.

I believe the campground descriptions provided by USFS are helpful more for those seeking shelter on land. In that regard, safety harbor is well sheltered from wind if you tuck your tent up in the rocks. BUT, it was wiped out by flash flooding. So yeah, maybe renaming it would be wise 😂. Maybe “less likely to die harbor”, or “go back to 25-mile creek harbor”?

Too funny, laughed out loud at that.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the afternoon breeze comes up on Lake Chelan, you had better be tucked away somewhere. Good thing there is no tidal current. There would be 10 foot chop.

Mark
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2436&id=102_0113&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark. Love the windsock pix. AND the instructions. Got that right.

[img]http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album2436&id=102_0113&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album2436&id=102_0113&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Trying to see if Windose 10 will bring over the photo using either Img or URL buttons.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Windows 10 will copy the link and send you to the pix IF you use the URL button.

No joy on the Img button and getting the pix into the thread... Crying or Very sad

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my best C-Dory memories are fishing and exploring Chelan but it's been 5-6 or so years I believe now.

Watch for afternoon wind as mentioned, and watch for LOGS.
Can be tempting to open it up when the water is smooth but there can be a lot of sudden logs to dodge.

SnowTexan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick spring update from mobile: 1.7 feet under the boat last weekend coming in to the dock at Manson! Time to pull the boat. Deep water launch at Manson is available but tight turning for a 22’ boat. Old mill park ramps at Mill Bay have signs of two years of fishermen power loading and one lane left until water is deeper. &&Chelan state park appears open for camping but the launch looks too shallow for a cdory. Domke falls is approx 3 feet at the dock. Safety harbor closed until furrther notice by USFS. All points south are a little sketchy and I wouldn’t land without an emergency need until the lake level is back up. Plenty of depth at Stehekin but as mentioned LOGS. Saw a few up north but haven’t seen any South. Snow runoff will start bringing them down soon. Looks like my “season” is about over. Brave souls can still put in at the dam in Chelan or the two above mentioned locations. Always happy to help shuttle/launch or assist anyone coming out this way. Especially in the off season as summer tourist resources become scarce!

Nigel
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel, Thanks for sharing the update on "your" lake. Awful lot of folk are just now starting to think about getting boats ready and you are talking about ending "your season". How far down has the surface gone. Sounds like it might be more than 12 feet. WOW, that is a ton of water.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

SnowTexan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Nigel, Thanks for sharing the update on "your" lake. Awful lot of folk are just now starting to think about getting boats ready and you are talking about ending "your season". How far down has the surface gone. Sounds like it might be more than 12 feet. WOW, that is a ton of water.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

It was a great training season for me, and it definitely feels like “my” lake in fall and winter. There’s a brief surge for hunting season, and after that it seems like my kids and I We’re the only campers up lake all Fall/winter. 12 feet is about right. It IS a Huge amount of water that gets sent over the dam! Here is the PUD projection:

https://www.chelanpud.org/parks-and-recreation/lake-chelan-lake-levels
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel, Someplace back there you asked what I was using for charting on the lake. I had to go look it up. Aqua Map Marine, on a Samsung "Android" S-2 tablet. It had good charting all the way up to the end of the lake.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter on the lake is great, maybe my favorite time, but do not miss the spring dogwood bloom - especially along the western shore below Lucerne.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: