View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Les Lampman Passed Away Reply with quote

Just received this sad news from Les' wife, Bing, in the Philippines. Les worked at EQ Marine for many years in sales, he helped me and many others outfit or ask questions about their C-Dorys whether or not we bought them at EQ or not. A very giving person to all. We have been in constant email communications for the past 18 years, I considered him one of my best friends.

So sad, I believe he was close to 68 yrs old, had a sudden heart attack.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to attach a recent picture of him and his wife, but will have to do a bit of research on how to do it.[/img]
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the photo in my album, let's see if this works.

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just speechless to hear that completely unexpected news. Nonetheless, thank you for letting us know, Dora~Jean. I had hoped to see and talk to him at a future date, maybe when he returned to visit, or live. I just find that so hard to believe, and I feel so sorry for his family--and the years he won't have a chance to enjoy. Thank you, Les, for all your kindness and technical guidance. I'll miss you.
Love
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We never really know how much time we have left. It's not the length of time people get on this earth but the experience and actions they pack into whatever time they get. It was big news to hear he'd moved to the other side of the world. I hope he had the time of his life over there.

RIP Les, and thank you for all the time you shared with me at EQ, it was truly a pleasure knowing you. Love

Last edited by PaulNBriannaLynn on Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les helped me a lot when we first bought the MOOSE. He took the time to write me pages of helpful information on wiring, hydraulic steering, and even how to install a removable helm seat, to name but a few. He was a kind and selfless individual and I will always remember his generosity to a new C-Dory owner.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wonderful guy. It was always a joy and an education to speak to him. He was truly one of a kind . Rest In Peace. My condolences to his family.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Les. Thoughts to your family.
I'll remember him as a real generous man who loved boats.

I stopped in at least 4 times to talk to him about the boats that were for sale at EQ Marine when they were dealers for C Dory and Arima. He was always willing to share his expertise and informed opinions. When he helped in the development of the Marinaut, he gave me a great tour of the boat and enthusiastically talked about the new boat.

We purchased a used 25 from EQ in 2014 and he took us out on the sea trial and guided us through the process of survey to purchase. I remember when picking it up, there was water in one of the oil bath hubs. He went into the shop, got tools and worked to fix it with Stan, one of the mechanics there.

I also always enjoyed reading his posts here relating to questions from other Brats. What a great guy, he left us too soon.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP.

His shop EQ installed our Tohatsu kicker. Very nice guy and he thanked me for the work. You don't run across businesses/people that do that a lot anymore. I told him I appreciated the quality and price of the job.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very sad to hear. He was a bold dreamer and fearless at pursuing them!

Most all who had more than a nodding acquaintance with Les has some story to tell of his kindness and helpfulness. Here's mine.

On my first trip to the San Juan Islands the Honda 75 on my previous C-Dory shut down for overheat about six miles from Friday Harbor. I headed there with the kicker and got tied up at the dock. I called either Fred (Anita Marie) or Brock (Catman) first because I really didn't know too many folks up there. I was asking around about a shop on the island that could help me out and in the middle of frustrating calls to local Friday Harbor guys I got a call from someone with a message from Les, who had heard about the troubles. I was told to stop worrying about it and that Les would be over in the morning.

Well, the next morning was very foggy so he launched his dad's TC24 that had radar and came over from Coronet Bay. He already figured out that the problem was a bad water pump impeller and brought parts and tools so he could fix it at the dock, which he did while explaining the process to me.

When he got it apart he found the impeller hub was busted and said that the part was known by Honda to be defective and had an extended replacement warranty.

When he got the job done I asked what I owed and he said that Honda covered the parts and labor so there was no charge. I protested that he should at least get something for the fuel and time to come over there and he said that was covered as a friend. He was happy with some scrambled eggs and bacon we fixed on the boat while he worked and wished me a pleasant remainder of my vacation which he had just completely salvaged for me.

Les' passing must be particularly hard on his family who recently lost the patriarch as well. In a way it is a blessing that Les Sr. passed first because the loss of his son for who he had a great deal of pride and admiration would have been devastating.

Thank you, Les, for all the things you were to so many of us here.

CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very sorry to hear that.

Les contributed many times to this forum often going into great detail,
including many technical issues, about anything and everything related to a C-Dory.

You will be missed. RIP Les. Thank you for your contributions.

http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I never got to meet him but thoroughly enjoyed and learned from all his thoughtful and knowledgeable posts. Helped me a lot as a newbie. It was obvious from his many posts what an outstanding person he was. RIP and condolences to his family & friends.

Jay
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les took the order for Checkpoint II in 2006 and Stan rigged it.

One OK thing about the timing of all this - at least Dusty preceded and did not have to receive the news.

There needs be some event at FHCBGT for Les and Dusty

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m another who was helped by Les & through the years enjoyed & learned from his comments posted on this site.

I first talked to Les in 2002, when our CD22, then the Puffin was advertised for sale at EQ Marine by the owner for consignment sale by Les. By the time I contacted Les, the owner had taken the boat back to where he lived in Vancouver, BC. Les still took the time to give me a good evaluation of the boat which led to us purchasing it in Jan 2003, followed by the name change to HunkyDory. Then in 2007, while on a extended SE Alaska cruise the port 40 hp Honda motor started gaining oil with me not knowing just how long I had ran under this condition or what was the cause. I limped up the 85 miles from Juneau to Skagway on the other motor. People, I talked to gave me a variety of things that could create the problem, but none the right answer. On the road trip back home, we stopped at EQ Marine & Les told he it was most likely just a stuck open thermostat & he doubted very much, even though, I said, I had ran the motor for considerably hours with the oil badly diluted with gas, that damage had been done to the motor. He was right & that motor ran strong another 1500 hours & 13 years before, I traded it in last summer on new motors.

RIP Les, you left many with a very high opinion of you in your wake.

Jay

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news for sure. We never know how long we have to be on this earth and from long years working in ER it has been a lesson I have taught for years, Live life well, and Les did that. His way was always humble and helpful, straight and true, and focused on quality. Quality of life and quality of service.

I first started looking at C-Dorys the same day I took a brand new Cape Cruiser 23 out for a sea trial. It came down to I could not afford a new boat, trailer, engine(s), and electronics. The captain that took us out from Twin Bridges spent about 3 hours going over the boat, the systems, power boating in general, (it was my first), advantages and disadvantages of a boat/trailer system, and then we went back to the office where the sales guys started racking up the numbers. Yikes. Not going to happen. So, on the way out, I went over to the captain to thank him for the half day, all the info and his patience with the newbe. When I told him I had to walk due to the $$$$ factor, he told me 2 things: 1. Stop at EQ Marine and talk to Les to see what he had. and 2. Look up "C-BRATS.COM" for a resource. (I am sorry I do not remember that captain's name, but I owe him a bunch.) On the way home, I did as he said, stopped at Coronet Bay, and met Les Lampman at EQ. He spent an hour with me, showed us a 25 that he had there, (but he and I knew that I was not going to go with a 25) and he didn't have a 22 available there. He took my info and said he would contact me when he did get a 22 on site. He did call me once, but I was not able to get there and it was set up more for fishing and he did not press, knowing that I was not a fisherman, but interested in cruising. He pointed me to C-BRATS also, and after missing out on 5 boats there, I finally found Jim's Dorie just a few miles from my house. Les helped in directing plans and project to set it up the way it was going to work best for me. Several visits, and hours, and he was always helpful. It was a shame to see him loose the C-Dory dealership, and joy to see him involved in the Marinaut. He will be missed.

RIP Les, and condolences to his family.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: