The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Pre FH-CBGT Cruise, May 10-14, 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Belle

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 29 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Belle
Photos: C-Belle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: North into Canadian waters Reply with quote

Hi Harvey

I'll be taking C-Belle to Portland Island with a group from our local Power Squadron, on the May 9, 10 weekend. The following weekend is our Victoria day long weekend and will probably end up in the Pender Islands region if any of the group are heading north into Canadian waters it would be nice to meet up.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolly, There is a really good chance that there will be some C-BRATS in the area after the Friday Harbor CBGT. I know some are heading over towards Sidney so should be withing VHF range at least. Maybe F&C at Fish on Fifth Sunday afternoon?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

baensch-ak

City/Region: Prineville
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: G. S. Lollipop
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Friday Hbr Reply with quote

"Life of Riley" 22'C-Dory Karen and Al Baensch are planning to be at Friday Hbr. for the get-to-gether. Looking forward to meeting with fellow C-Brats😊
Previously owned C-D 16' URSA MINOR, C-D 22' PEGASUS, Island Packet 380 FRIENDSHIP live aboard, C-D 16' G.S. LOLLIPOP, Cape Cruiser 23 HARMONY. As of June '19 sailing 'Life of Riley', a C-Dory 22, stored in Bellingham. Al & Karen
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Friday Hbr Reply with quote

baensch-ak wrote:
"Life of Riley" 22'C-Dory Karen and Al Baensch are planning to be at Friday Hbr. for the get-to-gether. Looking forward to meeting with fellow C-Brats😊

HI Karen and Al, Are you going to meet us at the Deception Pass Coronet Bay State Park on Sunday? Or are you just announcing that you will be at the FH-CBGT. If that is the case (FH-CBGT) then be sure to sign up on the FH Event sheet. Looking forward to seeing you there. It has been a while.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

baensch-ak

City/Region: Prineville
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: G. S. Lollipop
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, our boat is in Bellingham. We will leave from B-ham Hbr to Friday Hbr directly sometime on the 13 or 14. Do you know where in the hbr we have reservations to gather? Please advise and sign us up. Thanks, A & K
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baensch-ak wrote:
Harvey, our boat is in Bellingham. We will leave from B-ham Hbr to Friday Hbr directly sometime on the 13 or 14. Do you know where in the hbr we have reservations to gather? Please advise and sign us up. Thanks, A & K

I just checked, and you are on the Event Sign-up page, so you did it. Thanks.

Hysterically the C-BRATS have been mostly on H dock, with some spill over onto G. WE will probably be in the same place again, but we have a new Cruise Coordinator at FH Marina, so things may change. Stay tuned here for updates as we get closer to the date. "H" dock is around to starboard, inside the first breakwater dock you come to on entering Port of Friday Harbor. The Ferry dock will be far to port, and Customs will be on the opposing dock straight ahead as you approach the marina.

NO prior personal reservations are needed, BUT he did tel me that he wanted a list of confirmed attendees about 2 weeks prior Rolling Eyes Shocked Question Question

We will be on the dock at Friday Harbor Thursday, May 14.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since this thread has been up so just catching up here.

For now, The State Parks are closed due to the response to the Covid-19 pandemic. Not all of the boat launch ramps in the state are closed, but the Coronet Bay branch of Deception Pass State Park is closed, and that closes access to the launch ramp there.

Tonight I was looking at some predictions for positive Covid-19, for hospitalizations, and for the "curves" based on the predictions of those who are the experts in the numbers. The peak for those affected by the virus, if things continue as they are now will be mid to near end of April, and it should be down to about one half by mid May. That is not as low as I would hope, and that is only a projection, so the reality is that we need to wait and see, and in the mean time we really need to maintain sheltering at home, and if we have to be out in public, keep our "social distance". Personally, I don't believe 6 feet is adequate. I try to keep a minimum of 10 feet, and if someone coughs or sneezes, I stop my breath immediately, and move at least 30 feet away from the direction of that explosive respiratory discharge before inhaling again. That cough or sneeze can discharge particles that can carry that virus, staying in the air, for up to 3 hours. Just my practice.

I do hope we are able to meet at the park for the Pre-Cruise, but I am going to hold off on that decision until at least the first of May to see what the professionals are saying.

Mean time, stay safe, stay healthy and stay connected responsibly.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. Changing oil, swapping out plugs, getting gardens ready for planting, hiking the hills. Standing By.
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnowTexan wrote:
Thanks for the update. Changing oil, swapping out plugs, getting gardens ready for planting, hiking the hills. Standing By.

YUP. Standing by, is what is called for right now. Lot's of that. OH, and those gardens, used to be called War or (later) Victory Gardens. Good choice.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see the poll Re: FH-CBGT 2020 and vote if you have not.

You can find it on the “Home Page”, right hand side just past half way down. You can go there directly and vote there.

Here is the link to the results:
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=28314&highlight=

Thank you,

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post this on the other FH-CBGT relevant threads too:

I have emailed the Port of Friday Harbor for possible Fall or late summer dates and also for next year for the 2020+2021 FH-CBGT dates asking for our usual first weekend after Mother's Day time frame. When I talked to the front desk I got the usual "We don't start taking reservations until Jan 1". Guess we will have to wait and see."

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been watching the Race to Alaska preparations and have noticed a bit of change there. AS some of you know, the Race Boss and staff have been preparing to go, full speed ahead with the race schedule.

It appears they have come into "irons" at the moment, effectively "hove to" and keeping a "weather eye" as it were before going on with the course.

Same for the SEVENTY48 Race. These are both early June events and at this time both are planned activities with more than 10 people, and at venues that are closed to the public. Those closures may not last until June, maybe not until Mid May, but they are currently "CLOSED". The NW Maritime center is closed and they are waiting for government direction to reopen. That would have to happen before the Races can officially get underway.

So, what does that have to do with FH-CBGT and the Pre_Cruise? Well, I am watching them as a bell weather site. I have also had some contact with Port of Friday Harbor and they are still closed to transient boats, and to group gatherings. I will be staying in touch there. I had stated earlier that I would make the call for the FH-CBGT on May 4. I think I will hold to that, but from what I am hearing from the Port, it is pretty unlikely that we will be able to meet there in May.

Personally, I am thinking that travel and gatherings to soon are going to put us back into the throes of the COVID-19 again. Washington may be past the peak of the curve, but there are other states that are not even peaking until into May. I think we need to be well down of that "curve" not just over the top inorder to be traveling and gathering. My preference is to lean to the more cautious side, and maintaing as high a degree of safety as possible. For those who are planning on this Pre-Cruise, I hate to admit it, but I really think alternative plans are going to be where it is at. By then, we will be on at least Plan B, maybe C or D by then. Officially, the May 4 announcement date is going to hold, but as you are making your plans, it would probably be good to put the FH-CBGT May 10 launch date down around Plan C or D.

I am really sorry to do this. I was really looking forward to doing this group cruise. It is not officially called off yet, but practically speaking, there is a high likelihood that the park and our launch site will still be closed.

Thanks to those who did, for participating in the poll. There may be some late summer shenanigans although scheduling and reservations are all up in the air, (ahh pun intended.) Stay tuned. Call me if you have something you want to discuss faster than a PM here.

Harvey (509 eight 3 three 88 sixty-nine)
SleepyC Moon

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very wise words, Harvey.
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After listening to ALL of the Covid-19 related chatter, and all the closures in place, with the announced cancellations and the predicted ones, the likelihood of the FH-CBGT in May is somewhat less than slim. We have about the same number of respondents to the poll as we usually have numbers of boats to the event. SO, no official announcement yet but everyone can decide for them selves. Although, San Juan Island County is strongly inviting visitors to stay home, and stay off the islands. The parks, docks, ramps and mooring buoys are all closed. The Governor is advising to Stay Home/Stay Healthy and get down on the backside of the curve -- 14 days before things will begin to open up. WE still have that 14 days until May 1, so... we wait and see.

Stay safe, stay home and keep healthy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the poll it is evident that there is some interest in a meeting, (CBGT) later in the summer, (19 votes) and the same number of votes are not planning to go to FH-CBGT. There is no way to tell if those votes came from PNW folk who might have come IF there was not the virus, or if some of those votes might have come from folks who are from out of range, and were not planning on coming no matter what.

I have posted a thread: 2020 FRIDAY Harbor CBGT, move to Sept 2020

that is offering a later date, set mostly by the Port of Friday Harbor marina, that could bring the C-BRATS back to San Juan Island this fall, if there is enough interest. Take a look at it:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=28366&highlight=

and offer your thoughts there. I will need to respond to FH marina folk on April 27, so I will be looking at it that morning.

There has been some chatter on another thread, of a possibility of a CBGT in the South Sound some time down the line -- hopefully in a healthy time frame. If so, and it works out, I would be more than willing to keep the same meeting place, or another farther down the Sound, and lead a group from there to whatever the S Sound destination would be.

Unfortunately, I will be unavailable through Sept and Oct. Hope we can boat before then.

Thanks for your support and patience. For now, Stay safe, stay healthy and be thankful we live in a really great part of a really great country.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: