View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl Konecny

City/Region: Glide
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nowhere Fast
Photos: Nowhere Fast
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Primer bulb location Reply with quote

My fuel filter/water separator on my C22 is located in the bilge between the fuel tanks (along with lots of other stuff that shouldn't be there). I plan to move it to the void above the starboard fuel tank. That seems like a protected place with easy enough access. My question is where should the primer bulb go? If I move it up into the splash well it will sit horizontal, which I understand is not optimal. I could place it next to the filter and leave off the fiberglass panel between the tanks and cockpit -- any issue with that?
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Primer bulb location Reply with quote

Karl Konecny wrote:
My fuel filter/water separator on my C22 is located in the bilge between the fuel tanks (along with lots of other stuff that shouldn't be there). I plan to move it to the void above the starboard fuel tank. That seems like a protected place with easy enough access. My question is where should the primer bulb go? If I move it up into the splash well it will sit horizontal, which I understand is not optimal. I could place it next to the filter and leave off the fiberglass panel between the tanks and cockpit -- any issue with that?

When did Horizontal become bad? Wink

I have never had one that wasn't in the splash well & never any problem. Mr. Green Beer
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the instructions saying that the bulb exit should face up. Mine is in the splash well, but there is enough slack such that I can squeeze it at a 45 degree angle. Probably only matters for a quicker prime on the bulb. My bigger concern was what the sun might do to it. My black rubber cable boot didn't last two years before getting cracks in it. Bulb has done better but it still might last longer if tucked away from the weather. Might have to squeeze it a few more times.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two, (twin 40 Yamis) are in the splashwell, have been and have worked well, just a bit stiff, but then so am I come early morning, so we get along well. Have never paid much attention to the up or down end. Would have to go look but the boat is up in Bellingham this week.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Karl Konecny

City/Region: Glide
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Nowhere Fast
Photos: Nowhere Fast
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, mine are going in the splash well. And I won't worry about the bulb sitting level. Several years ago I was having a fuel problem on my jet boat. One mechanic tried to blame my horizontal primer bulb (check valve not seating properly). The real problem was a sticky piston in the low pressure fuel pump on my new engine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: