The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New guy with electrical config question?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes battery side and since I try to keep my batteries balanced as to type and age the start battery downstream has always been charged and kept at the voltage I want it either with the Procharger (which is a pretty sophisticated charger) or the solar, and pretty good with the alternator into the house bank, though the Suzuki's charge profile is rather unique.

Our '12 Ranger Tug had the same basic system from the factory and it always worked perfectly also.

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of helpful diagrams. They do not show a charger. You can imagine a charger by placing the single channel charging wires directly to the battery posts of the start battery; or if 2-channel, place 1 channel on the start bank, and the other channel on the house bank

I suspect the battery side installation is what most folks have; it only requires a single channel charger. The load side makes sense if you have a 2-channel smart charger (assuming you have 2 battery banks). It allows each side of the smart charger to charge its battery independently of the other battery when the boat is "put away" with the battery switches off, and the 2-channel charger on maintaining the batteries. (Note in a load side install, the alternator only charges batteries with their on/off switch in the on position, but when you are running the engine one almost always does have those the switches on.)

Battery side

Load side
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this thread has been very informative for those interested in the topic. Automation can be good, and it can certainly complicate things.
For me personally, I try to use the KISS principle.
When something goes wrong, you do not have to call in a scientist to fix.
Good topic, as it has certainly benefited some readers.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes K.I.S.S. is good, that is why I took out the 1, 2 both off switch and put in separate house, start, switches with an ACR. With the separate combine switch you can bypass anything that fails. And you only need to use 1 channel of a really good charger which is easy to keep track of with a start and house bank voltmeter. You can easily combine banks to treat them as a single battery for charging if you need to with zero chance of switch confusion.

On another K.I.S.S. subject if I may, I went out to a nice Anchorage overnight (Caleta Lobos) to see if we had sorted out the C-10 Suzuki smart guage and the networked Simrad chartplotter. After a call to customer tech the Simrad is sorted out. But somehow in all the confusing menu chasing we screwed up the gallons per hour on the C--10 and we seem to be using, by the guage 460 G.P.H. and we now have to hope we can find a Suzuki tech on the phone so we can hopefully sort it out before heading north for a few weeks when I will at least need the fuel used and MPG, I am beginning to dislike these supposedly plug and play simple to use networks, that with one glitch or wrongly timed button push can give you problems that can't be solved with the owners manual. I am about ready to go back to old fashioned dumb guages and a separate flowmeter computer.

AAARG!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: