The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

LED Nav Lights
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrentB wrote:

Contact Perko for an update

I had ordered it through a chandlery, who had supposedly contacted Perko. After bugging them a few times I sort of gave up (but did not withdraw my order). Then I just looked for them whenever I had a chance (to no avail). That's all solved now though as West Marine has them (at least they show them in stock online), and will ship free to a store. So I will order one as soon as I'm going to be near a store (few weeks).

If it had been a super high priority, I would have contacted Perko, but it was one of those "I'll just see what happens" things. I had figured to just make my own by laying up a bit of fiberglass if I never found one (saving a few bucks) and/or move the light to a radar arch. But now that I have found the Perko part I'll order one just for ease/expediency.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread brought back:

I noticed water in our port (red) nav light, so I opened it up to see what was going on. Wet & corroded and I have no idea how it got in. The seal seems OK and no cracks. I did not see any water in the starboard (green) light, but I figured I'd better check it too. Took it apart and the lens came out in three pieces. Mad So the intact lens light was soaked and the one with the broken lens was dry. Confused Weird.

No problem though, I'll just buy a new green lens and clean up the red one. Wrong. Perko does not sell just the lens on the model 170 lights; you have to buy the entire light assembly. Rolling Eyes $34/ea at Fisheries. Cheap enough.

Well, since I have to replace at least the green one, I'll update them to LED units, right? Uhm, no. $198/ea at Fisheries for the LED version of the 170! Shocked Thumbs Down

My solution? I ordered two new 170 nav lights in incandescent and I ordered one each red & green LED replacement bulbs from marinebeam.com. $41 delivered to my door for the two bulbs.

Makes each light an LED nav light for about $55 a piece. Mr. Green

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Localboy,

You made a great choice! Years ago, on my 22 cruiser, when my Perko 170's were toast like yours, I bit the bullet and purchased the 170 LED's. I was excited to keep the same configuration as was on my boat. Same footprint, no new holes and no bad looking gelcoat, for areas that had been covered by the old lights.

Well, I had to order them back then and wait a month to get them and they were very expensive. I took the lights and a bag with a few tools in it to the dock, figuring that I would swap out the lights in less than 30 minutes. After taking off the first light and just about pitching it in the trash, I reinstalled it. The new LED light had the same footprint, but the power wire comes out of it in a different area and would require a new hole in the boat.

Back in the house, I gave it some though. No I did not want to drill another hole, I only drills holes on a boat if no other alternatives exist. After sleeping on it, I had a plan. I was able to take thick rubber gasket material, cut it to fit the light base, then cut out the gasket to reroute the new wire route to the old wire hole. The LED wire size was smaller that the incandescent wire, so there was plenty of room for the new wire, without hard turns or pinching it. Problem solved, but the 30 minute job took several hours, including a trip to the local gasket store...

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced my old worn out nav lights with these several years ago. Work good, very happy with them. Under $50 for the two of them. Smile Colby

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O0DEC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
localboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have gone with something else vs the Perko ones, but as Steve noted, the holes already existed for the 170s. Aqua Signal had some nice LED units that were completely sealed, but again...holes. The "quality" of the Perko stuff does not impress me. But alas...holes.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would have gone with something else vs the Perko ones, but as Steve noted, the holes already existed for the 170s. Aqua Signal had some nice LED units that were completely sealed, but again...holes. The "quality" of the Perko stuff does not impress me. But alas...holes.

Bodyfiller and matching paint. Smile Unless you get up close and look for it, you can't really see where the old nav lights mounted. I had used the LED replacement lamps earlier, but like you found my lenses were no longer holding up. And didn't really like the setup of using the LED conversion lamps. The newer LED Nav lights look nice, are brighter, and after a little hull work, came out looking pretty good. Colby
localboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd quickly update this. So I decided to remove/install the lights today prior to leaving for work. Should go quickly, right? I mean two screws each light and done. Easy...peazy. Wrong.

Someone at the factory gobbed some white sealant/adhesive (5200?) all over the rear of the light housings making them nearly impossible to remove. I had to pry the edge up and shave the sealant, little by little, with a razor blade to get them off. Then cut away the remaining sealant with a window scraper (razor blade type) from the gelcoat and finished with boat cleaner to clean it all up. Pics in my album.

I'll install the new lights on my next day off, which will be next week. Once in, I'll compare the incandescent bulbs to the LED ones and post some pics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: