The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/03 - 03/05 - Hontoon Island CBGT Deland, Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Petaluma River Reply with quote

MAGAZINE
‘LECTRONIC
CLASSIES
CALENDAR
CREW LIST
RESOURCES

General Sailing
Petaluma River Will Be Dredged, and San Rafael Appears to Be Next
By Tim Henry | February 12, 2020 | 0
After years of lobbying, advocating and at times pleading for help, the Petaluma River will finally be dredged for the first time since 2003. Money has also been set aside for dredging the San Rafael Canal.

“The US Army Corps of Engineers will be allocating roughly $9.7 million this year to pay for the project, [Congressman] Jared Huffman announced Monday,” the Press Democrat reported. “An additional $1.3 million was set aside for preliminary work to eventually dredge the San Rafael Canal.”

Huffman said that he was, “Very happy for the people of Petaluma. They’ve waited a long time.”

Bradford Rex, who called himself a “concerned waterman” in Petaluma, sent us this photo in summer 2018. “These fellows . . . are not the first to get stuck in the Petaluma turning basin and they won’t be the last. My charges in the summer sailing camp have learned to use the dagger boards of their el toros to scoot off the mud, but that doesn’t work so well for a fixed keel. Dredging isn’t just for the sake of pleasure boaters. Water finds its own level and if the river is full of silt then water ends up in someone’s backyard and a business lot. I suppose we’ll have to wait for the car dealerships and the outlet mall to flood before the best slough on earth gets dredged.” Well, the wait may be over, Bradford.
© 2020 Bradford Rex
Dredging could start as early as June, the Press Democrat said, adding that the Army Corps is supposed to maintain the 18-mile river every four years, but has fallen way behind on scheduled maintenance. The cost of dredging has increased as stricter environmental regulations have mandated that toxic spoils removed from digging be dumped in designated areas away from sensitive ecosystems.

Last month, Petaluma’s city council approved nearly $2 million for an emergency dredge of the river turning basin and Petaluma Marina in case the Army Corps again passed on doing the work, the Press Democrat said. “With the project now covered, the city will use that money on the marina, where the number of vessels leasing space is now less than 40% of capacity, or about half the Bay Area average.”

A spokesman for the California Marine Affairs and Navigation Conference, or CMANC — a consortium of California harbors, ports and marine interest groups — said that this year’s budget request for dredging was “the largest a president has ever asked for; almost 20% more than he asked for last year.” Despite the hefty allocation, CMANC said “the amount requested is less than California’s Ports and Harbors need in Federal Fiscal Year 2021 by over $100 million.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pedro! I think you got your coasts mixed up here. lol! Would love to have you join us in Florida at Hontoon tho! Miss seeing yah, and doesn't look like I'll be out west, at least this year...But would love to come back for the Delta Cruise again sometime in the future. And maybe even the Catalina one. Colby
Ed & Linda

City/Region: Crystal River
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pelican
Photos: Pelican
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Hontoon Beach Gatherig Reply with quote

We are new C-Dory owners interested in attending the gathering at Hontoon Beach. We joined the group under 'event signups' - does this mean we are signed up? Also, where can we find out more information about where to go, etc?

Thanks!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing you up, you are good to go. Launch at Ed Stone Co. Park. Park on the Grass next to Hwy 44. The park is at Fl 44 and the East side of St. John's River.
W\
Go South about 4 miles, Hontoon Island on the Right, just after Holly Bluff Marina on the Left, around the bend. Docks are visible on the right--pull in and take a non reserved slip, or to to the Park web site and reserve a site.

Bring a couple of pot luck dishes, (Main burgers and dogs on Tues, KFC on Wed and left overs on Thursday.

Hang out, enjoy!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed & Linda, just beware of the Manatees and NO Wake zones. That's really the biggest issue to be aware of. From Ed Stone to Hontoon, is mostly no wake. There is a short section where you can push it up to 20mph. I believe it's about 5 miles from Ed Stone to Hontoon. Can't miss it. Some folks will launch at Astor Marine, and some others at Hontoon Landing right across from Hontoon State Park. But most of us use Ed Stone, as it's free, and I don't believe anyone (knock on wood) has had any issues leaving our rigs parked there for several weeks.) But as Bob said, park on the grass next to the highway so we are not taking up the regular parking slots. The main River channel is pretty easy to follow. Turn left out of Ed Stone, follow the main channel. Once you get to Hontoon, plan on backing in to a slip as anchors are not allowed to hang over the docks. It's a great gathering and you can join any of the activities going on during the gathering. The past few years (and I'll sign up again this year) I've led a tour known as the Hontoon Loop, where we go around the island seeing plenty of birds, probably some alligators, and hopefully some Manatees. Others may lead down to Sanford or up to DeLeon Springs, depending upon the water depth. (Those tours are usually before or after the gathering.) The park is great for hiking or bike riding if you'd like. Read back thru the thread here, and you can gather a bit more information. Colby
Forfun1960

City/Region: Carmi
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Journey former Noro Lim
Photos: Journey
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of questions;

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on flying a drone at the Hontoon marina? If not I will bring one and happy to take Aerial photos to share with others.

Also wondering if there is any worry about leaving the trailer at Ed Stone with a lock on the hitch as we want to want to run downstate for a couple of days after the Cruise without pulling boat and trailer.

Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying drones at Florida State parks is prohibited with the exception of one dedicated drone park. I do not know if being over the River is considered “park” however. If your going to bring it anyway we can consult the park manager.

If you want to leave your boat and trailer for a few days contact Holly Bluff Marina. They have a nice secure parking area. They do not allow parking at Ed Stone Park unless your tow vehicle is attached.

Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have left our rigs at Ed Stone County park for up to 3 weeks + without problems. The Sheriff deputies seem to come thru there at regular intervals.

There is no flying of drones when in state parks. Outside of the park as long as it is a flying allowed zone, it is OK.

Quote:
Florida Administrative Code 5I-4.003 // 2016

This state code prohibits drones on managed lands, including Florida state parks and forests, except at a runway or a helispot and only with authorization from the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

I have purchased a Mavric Mini specifically because of the under 55 grams weight, to use for scouting if we are having problems getting up into the Econlockhatchee River, assuming adequate water (also applies to De Leon Springs, and a few other places). But there are lots of wonderful other places to go to, and to video. There are a number other areas of restricted air space along the St. John's River due to wilderness areas, state Forrests and other state parks.

Having said the above, I believe that one could launch the drone from outside the park, and fly over the river (less than 400', visual site of the craft) and take photos of the gathering and boats.). The area across from Hontoon, is not state park or forrest. There is one small section South of Snake Creek which is also not state park or state Forrest on the East Bank of Hontoon Dead River...., so a few places one could launch a drone potentially.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donny,

In past Gatherings, our esteemed Host Tom has said that the ‘local authorities’ don’t like boat trailers at Ed Stone without their trucks attached (looks like folks ‘storing’ a trailer on public property). However, we tow the trailer to Holly Bluff Marina back forty lot and they will store it for $10 a day for however long you want, and you can then park your truck (no trailer) at the Hontoon State Park parking lot at the ferry landing.

$10/day is the same as dual axle trailer parking in Key West at Garrison Bight, but just get over it.

I think this is the best available way to get what you are looking for.

John

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Never mind.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you can then park your truck (no trailer) at the Hontoon State Park parking lot at the ferry landing.

The Ranger at Hontoon discourages us from parking in the relatively small parking lot at Hontoon Landing. The reason is that it takes up valuable space which is used for other guests at the State Park. The exceptions are Tom's truck for emergencies and grocery runs for all. Also I believe the volunteers are allow to park there.

Also the number of passengers allowed on the pontoon boat, Hontoon Ferry, to the mainland is limited to 6 persons plus operator. (and perhaps Park personal in certain cases.). Often park volunteers are driving the ferry.

I agree that I would not leave an unattached trailer at Ed Stone Park.
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points Bob. It’s going to be spring break at the same time we are going to be at Hontoon. The park will be full! Please do not bring your trucks to the park parking lot. The area is very limited and we need to leave room for the campers, volunteers and day use. We have about 33 signed up and if many bring their vehicles to the park we may not be able to go back to Hontoon next year.

If however someone wants to volunteer to bring their vehicle to make multiple runs to the store I will be glad to leave mine at Ed Stone. Vehicle will need to carry 5 people and a large amount of groceries. Figure at least 3 trips a day on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. One on Friday.

Thank you for your cooperation.........Tom
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another thread John writes:
Quote:
We reserved B-8 at Hontoon and suggest that whoever is next to us have at least 12, 36 inch diameter fenders out when we approach. We carry chunks of concrete in our rub rails as a badge of honor!

When I looked just now, I didn't see anyone reserved for 8A yet. Perhaps they knew you were going to be in B, John. Or it could be most don't want to be next to the Hontoon Alligator, as that is the slip he/she likes to crawl up on boats to sun on. Or maybe it's the Water Mocconsin that also slithers around in those two slips. Mr. Green I wouldn't worry about those two critters too much. I think the alligator likes dog meat, and most the dog owners park several slips away also. Mr. Green Mr. Green

On another note, I think I only saw 4 slips available on the west dock. As of right now, I see 21 slips open from Monday-Friday, most on the east dock. Not sure if it's C-Brats reserving slips, or spring breakers. But if you are coming and haven't reserved a slip yet, it might just be worth doing so this year.
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like we better play it safe and reserve one tomorrow. Any recommendations on a good dock number that is available?

Thanks,

Nick
“Valkyrie II”
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore previous post. We just booked a dock.

See everyone soon!

Nick
“Valkyrie II”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: