The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/03 - 03/05 - Hontoon Island CBGT Deland, Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That book is "St. John's River Guidebook", Second Edition by Kevin McCarthy. Very good reading of the River's history. Colby
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone coming to Hontoon remember there’s hundreds of Manatee in the St. John’s River. Please go slow in the minimum wake zones and always maintain a watch.

Here is a resource for manatee awareness. https://www.savethemanatee.org/how-to-help/resources-for-boaters/

They have a lot of information on this unique mammal. Watch the the top video. It’s a little more than a minute and could save a life.

You don’t want to be like the guy that bought a new John boat and took his kids out to see manatees. Thunk,thunk,thunk,thunk and thunk. Let’s just say that this was a trip that the kids will NEVER forget.

We will use channel 72 on the River in addition to 16. When docking at Hontoon most boats will be backing into the slips due to length. There is usually someone to help. We have not had a scratch in a C-Dory....yet.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the greatest C-Dory gathering in Florida.

Tom and Joyce

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last reminder for signing up for those that may have missed it.

1)If you have not signed up on the C-Brats Event signup please do so.

2) fill out our Online registration on this link. https://form.jotform.com/60634279765163
This will save time at the gathering.

Also....If you want to reserve a site you can do so at Reserve America

https://www.reserveamerica.com/explore/hontoon-island-state-park/FL/281038/overview

There will be ample docking available but if your looking for a favorite dock...

11 spots reserved as of today.

Get your auction items together.

Check your trailer tires, drive with care and see you soon......Tom
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom:

If you should have occasion to speak with anyone involved with the rowing teams out on the river please ask them what they prefer we do when overtaking them outside of slow speed zones. I always slow to no wake when I encounter them no matter if it's slow speed or not. Passing in opposite directions is no problem but when they are headed in the same direction they row as fast or faster than I can pass them at no wake speed. Eventually I just get on plane and pass them since at some point I need to move on and I produce less wake on plane than if I try to power pass them at a slower speed. No one has ever complained that I know of but I've always wondered if they realize the quandary......

James

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly Brown wrote:
Tom:

If you should have occasion to speak with anyone involved with the rowing teams out on the river please ask them what they prefer we do when overtaking them outside of slow speed zones. I always slow to no wake when I encounter them no matter if it's slow speed or not. Passing in opposite directions is no problem but when they are headed in the same direction they row as fast or faster than I can pass them at no wake speed. Eventually I just get on plane and pass them since at some point I need to move on and I produce less wake on plane than if I try to power pass them at a slower speed. No one has ever complained that I know of but I've always wondered if they realize the quandary......

James

James, I frequently do safety boat service for rowing/paddling races and in some cases part of my job is to make voice contact with the rower or paddler. For approaching and leaving it is best to be at an acute angle to their travel direction, closer to 90 the better. For passing, obviously as much distance between you and them as possible, and angle so your wake is not parallel to their boat.

My work is with open water racers, and they are generally pretty accomplished at dealing with waves and wakes but it is still good to be respectful on the water.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boats referred to by James are "shells": Sculls (where a shell is rowed with a person using two oars; usually one and two person) and Sweeps (where each rower has a single oar--usually 4 or 8 rowers). The larger boats have a coxswain who faces forward, and the rowers face aft (pulling mostly with their legs on sliding seats). The aft most sweep (stroke sets the pace and can possibly see danger coming from aft. These boats only have relatively low freeload and the beam is very narrow (11" to 24"). They are capable of about 13 to 14 mph when racing.

The river is narrow, so passing at an acute angle is not possible. I find that when going the same direction I slow down and follow along, unless they are going very slowly. In that case, I get as far away and parallel as I can, and get to a speed which will pass them slowly.

Where going the opposite direction, I slow to a idle just fast enough to control my boat, and again get as close to the bank as possible to minimize the boat wake. I usually slow when I am at least 100 yards from them to minimize the wake--coming directly off the plane to an idle speed.

It seems that when these teams are practicing that they do take frequent breaks to critique and rest. This is a good time to pass slowly. Many teams have a coach boat. The more affluent teams have specially designed light weight catamarans, which make minimal wake at 10 to 15 mph. Others may have an aluminum Jon boat or a Boston Whaler type, some of which will often make considerable wakes at the Sculls speed. However, the narrower square bowed boats can get between rowers for adjustments, safety and relief of crew.

A competitive racing shell can cost as much as a C Dory ($25,000 to $50,000).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made reservations for 7B. (Would prefer 9B, but somebody beat me to it. Sad I think 7B is where we were last year. If all goes well, we should be launching Friday afternoon. Not sure if we'll head up to DeLeon Springs then, or find somewhere to anchor out, or maybe even head down to Hontoon. (Reservations for Sunday thru Thursday night). Pretty sure if the water is high enough, we'll head to DeLeon Springs then Saturday to spend the night and pancake place Sunday morning before heading back to Hontoon. (If we launch early enuf, we'll try to get up to DeLeon Friday evening for pancakes Saturday.) Anyone that would like to go that way are welcome to follow us. I have AIS and it will be squawking. Should show Midnight Flyer if you have an AIS receiver. Now, just praying for decent travel weather, and no local ice and/or snow storms. Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, we will probably arrive at Ed Stone about lunch time. Take a little while to get all organized, then run up to Hontoon for Friday Night. My reservations are Monday thru Thursday--not worried about getting a slip on Friday. We are open to what others are wanting to do on Sat/Sunday--No Pancakes for Bob, but there are alternatives....Plus Marie loves the Pancakes...

See you there. (And I know of at least several others who will be there Friday PM.)
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom just called me and will be posting later, but water might be a little low for DeLeon Springs. See you or at least talk to you, on Friday.
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Smith called me this AM and said the water was probably too low to go to DeLeon Springs. There are many more areas to explore on the St. John’s. I’ll be making a three day trip on the River the week before the gathering with family. I’ll report back then. My after gathering plans may have to be modified .

Also only 4 boats have let me know that they want a boat inspection....surely there are more. Just send me a PM and I’ll get you on the list. Tom

If I see any of the rowers coaches I’ll ask what they prefer. I like going down the Hontoon Dead.....they don’t go that way.
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fellow Brats!

Marcia and I are at Bahia Honda SP Marina on Valkyrie II for a month and plan on coming back up to Hontoon for the CBGT in March. We were there for the event once before and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I noticed on this thread that some are making reservations and wondered if that is necessary. The Hontoon SP website notes that they have 40 docks and that are first-come, first-serve and that reservations are not accepted for dockage.

Advice appreciated and we are looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Best regards,

Nick and Marcia
“Valkyrie II”
C-Dory 25
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first year that Hontoon has started taking reservations. I finally made mine, as I like the end I reserved, and while it's usually available when I show up Sunday evening for the gathering, I wasn't sure if anyone else would reserve it. I suspect however with all the space, and with the gathering during the week day, it won't be a problem for those showing up with out reservations. (I hate making reservations, as with our Midwest winters, there is no guarantee that I can come. Only the desire to be there. Very Happy )
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref reservations--I'd tried last year, but I could not find a "map" of the slips. It is with the campground map currently. There is a reservation fee, so it costs slightly more. I wanted to get a specific slip--because of convenience; easier to back into with the prevailing wind (which will probably be the opposite when we get there). and a starboard side boarding, which is much easier for us with out back problems. But Colby is correct even with the largest gathering of 37 boats (?) they all got slips.

Nick and Marsha--great you are there now and will be there at the gathering.
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, guys! See you when we launch Monday morning!

Nick
“Valkyrie II”
Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Petaluma River Reply with quote

MAGAZINE
‘LECTRONIC
CLASSIES
CALENDAR
CREW LIST
RESOURCES

General Sailing
Petaluma River Will Be Dredged, and San Rafael Appears to Be Next
By Tim Henry | February 12, 2020 | 0
After years of lobbying, advocating and at times pleading for help, the Petaluma River will finally be dredged for the first time since 2003. Money has also been set aside for dredging the San Rafael Canal.

“The US Army Corps of Engineers will be allocating roughly $9.7 million this year to pay for the project, [Congressman] Jared Huffman announced Monday,” the Press Democrat reported. “An additional $1.3 million was set aside for preliminary work to eventually dredge the San Rafael Canal.”

Huffman said that he was, “Very happy for the people of Petaluma. They’ve waited a long time.”

Bradford Rex, who called himself a “concerned waterman” in Petaluma, sent us this photo in summer 2018. “These fellows . . . are not the first to get stuck in the Petaluma turning basin and they won’t be the last. My charges in the summer sailing camp have learned to use the dagger boards of their el toros to scoot off the mud, but that doesn’t work so well for a fixed keel. Dredging isn’t just for the sake of pleasure boaters. Water finds its own level and if the river is full of silt then water ends up in someone’s backyard and a business lot. I suppose we’ll have to wait for the car dealerships and the outlet mall to flood before the best slough on earth gets dredged.” Well, the wait may be over, Bradford.
© 2020 Bradford Rex
Dredging could start as early as June, the Press Democrat said, adding that the Army Corps is supposed to maintain the 18-mile river every four years, but has fallen way behind on scheduled maintenance. The cost of dredging has increased as stricter environmental regulations have mandated that toxic spoils removed from digging be dumped in designated areas away from sensitive ecosystems.

Last month, Petaluma’s city council approved nearly $2 million for an emergency dredge of the river turning basin and Petaluma Marina in case the Army Corps again passed on doing the work, the Press Democrat said. “With the project now covered, the city will use that money on the marina, where the number of vessels leasing space is now less than 40% of capacity, or about half the Bay Area average.”

A spokesman for the California Marine Affairs and Navigation Conference, or CMANC — a consortium of California harbors, ports and marine interest groups — said that this year’s budget request for dredging was “the largest a president has ever asked for; almost 20% more than he asked for last year.” Despite the hefty allocation, CMANC said “the amount requested is less than California’s Ports and Harbors need in Federal Fiscal Year 2021 by over $100 million.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: