The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bulkhead under V berth tabbing separating from hull

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl Konecny

City/Region: Glide
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nowhere Fast
Photos: Nowhere Fast
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Bulkhead under V berth tabbing separating from hull Reply with quote

My 22' cruiser has 3 hatches in the V berth. When I inspect inside the forward compartment, the fiberglass tape used to 'tab' the bulkhead to the hull has separated from the hull. It appears to me (with little expertise in this area) that the factory did not adequately prep/clean the hull before tabbing in the bulkhead. The off-white paint covering everything did not adhere to the hull well either.
Has anyone seen this problem?
My plan is to take a Dremel and care]fully cut back the non-adhered tape, re-prep all surfaces and reapply fiberglass tape as needed.
Any ideas or comments on that?

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the bulkhead which forms the aft end of the anchor locker?

cutting with a Dremel is a good way to go--maybe even using a flexible shaft, will give a little easier access--I suspect it will be partly "blind"...Not sure how big the hatch on the top of your V Berth is.

I would take a grinder and rough up the area where the old glass delaminate. Hopefully you can pull most the old glass out. Clean this well wipe it down with acetone after washing with soap and water. I would then use epoxy two layers of 4" and 6" wide glass tape to the hull and bulkhead. Are both sides delaminating? The epoxy gives a far better secondary bond. Plus you will be painting this anyway. It would help if you laid down a fillet at the intersection of the bulkhead and the hull. I use a tongue blade as the "tool" to give the correct radius of the fillet. Material can be epoxy and micro balloons, Cabosil or Low density filler. The idea is to have as smooth a transition between the hull and bulkhead--and avoid a hard spot where the bulkhead meets the hull.

Take some photos and put in your album to decument what you have to do.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bulkhead under V berth tabbing separating from hull Reply with quote

Karl Konecny wrote:
.. The off-white paint covering everything did not adhere to the hull well either.
Has anyone seen this problem?

The coating on the insides of the compartments on my boat both under the V-berth and in the main cabin had not set (was still tacky) after about 5 years when I bought the boat. I suspect that it was brushed or sprayed on gelcoat that wasn't mixed right and never set up. I painted over it with latex paint which seems to have solved the problem.

I have not noticed any problem with the tabbing of the joints.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often wax is added to the laminating resin that rises to the surface and seals the final fiberglass surface so it will cure without being tacky. Usually it is in the final gellcoat after all laminating is finished so it leaves a nice glossy, smooth surface. If the laminate is waxed before tabbing it has to be sanded off and cleaned with acetone during production or tabbing will look good but will easily delaminate.
Bob gave you the best way to fix it.
I'm glad you are willing to tackle the job, it should be fairly easy, wear a good rated mask as it will be dusty and fummey.

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
Karl Konecny

City/Region: Glide
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Nowhere Fast
Photos: Nowhere Fast
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, I will post some photos as I do work. I may wait for the weather to warm a bit first!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: