View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: A great day for a boat ride Reply with quote

The sun was shining and the wind quit for a day so we made a short run to Astoria to tie up for lunch and try out the new induction cooker. It worked great.

Lois fixed up toasted cheese sandwiches on the stovetop and tomato soup in the microwave.

You know the water is smooth when you can do 39mph in a C-Dory! It wasn't real warm, but the Espar heater worked great, too.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive--both the induction burner, the nice day, and 39.4 mph, without lift off!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No lift off but it sure steered easy!
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the comforts of home... at speed! Thanks for sharing!
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried my single induction burner from the Limpet with the fancy 3Kw Xantrex inverter that came with my new boat (Chiton). No love. The burner turns on and even recognizes when a pan is set on it, but it doesn't fire up. It looks like it needs pure sine wave.

$300 for an additional 3Kw inverter when I already have a 3Kw modified sine wave inverter on board? It is tempting. That's how much I want to get propane off. And how much I like using the induction burner. When doing projects on board I tend to ignore my coffee cup. The induction burner reheats it faster than the microwave. In fact, I just removed the microwave (which does run on the MSW inverter). I'd rather have the counter space since reheating coffee is the only use that I have found for a microwave.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TyBoo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what my induction stove did with the modified sine wave inverter. Replaced it with a 2000w pure sine wave at about $250 bucks and all is good.

We use the microwave quite a bit for popcorn and soup mugs. I think it actually works better with the PSW inverter. Popcorn is quicker and fewer old maids it seems. Maybe just my imagination, but I have been content with imagining things before.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it actually works better with the PSW inverter.

Not your imagination. There are some facts to back that up. Well tested in the RV world. It is also better for the magnetron--will last longer.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound like it really was a great day Mike. Hummmm, have you considered adding a foil set. Might get better fuel milage Wink You must really like popcorn -- MW and big inverter. Enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of battery banks are you guys running with your induction cooktops and inverters?
TyBoo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a pair of marine cranking batteries from Costco. Group 24 I believe, but they might be 27. When I replace them they will be Group 27.

They are cabled in parallel and left that way all the time without separate house/cranking batteries. I have a third, smaller battery that is connected only to the kicker so if my big ones won't start the motor I can jump from the kicker battery. Haven't had to yet. I always run the motor or the shore power charger when using the inverter for any real load.
TyBoo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add - We are so stinking tickled with the induction stove for cooking and the little Espar for heating that we would never consider going back to a Wallas.

Even if ordering a new boat one could get the threesome of heater/induction cooker/inverter for a good deal less than a the cost of a new Wallas. Then you can cook without heating, heat without cooking, or do both at once at whatever power levels needed.

Just the same, the Wallas is pretty slick and other than being a complicated beast at times it is quite simple when it works.
Catman

C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I spent more than a few minutes daydreaming about a cruise yesterday. Sunny until about 3 p.m. in Seattle, birds chirping, and a hint of spring. I'm really glad you two could get out on the water for a day trip. Looking at your photos and text is a nice consolation for being land bound.

Delighted you're so happy with your induction stove and little Espar. All that'll do is encourage you to make more fall and winter runs to Astoria, and more. Heat is a beautiful thing, says the guy without it until not long ago. And hey, thanks for the teaspoon of affection for Wallas.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is FAST food C-dory style!
1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
Marco Flamingo

C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also thrilled with my induction burner and the Espar heater. Overkill on a CD 16, but I can tolerate a little decadence. I have two group 24 batteries. I tend to switch back and forth as to which I call the house battery and which I call the starter battery. Most important is that I only have one on when anchored for the night. Battery usage was a concern at first, but when I saw how fast the induction burner works that kind of took the concern away.

My favorite decadent usage is to make up the espresso pot in the evening. I place the induction burner on the floor between the seats. On the CD 16, that's easily reachable from the berth when still under the covers. As is the thermostat for my Espar heater.

When I wake up, I turn on the Espar. I can see the battery monitor from the V berth and watch it drop below 12V temporarily when the glow plug heats up. Once the Espar is fired up and drawing little juice, I turn on the induction burner to #4. That takes about 3 minutes to make a pot of coffee. It heats up as fast as the microwave and probably takes less power. If I want to snooze, I have to set it at #1 and wake up 15 minutes later to the smell of fresh coffee with the cabin heated.

I forgot about making popcorn in the microwave. That makes two practical uses for a microwave on board. I'll need to come up with an induction popper or suffer a cruise without popcorn.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Sharp wrote:
What sort of battery banks are you guys running with your induction cooktops and inverters?

I have gone a bit "overboard" with the batteries, but I am also running two chest type refrigerator freezers, plus a microwave and induction burner. I have two 100 amp hours of LiFePO4 batteries, (total usable of about 190 amp hours.). I also have a separate 80 amp battery charger/2500 watt PSW inverter. The start battery is rigged to allow 30 amps off the outboard for charging. We have a group 24 LA starter battery, and two group 27 LA house batteries.

There was no built in stove in the 25 when we bought it. We heat a number of pre cooked meals in the microwave, as well as cook fresh food on the induction burner. We never had a problem with 4 Wallas stoves, we had on 4 of our C Dorys. I agree that the Espar type of heater is far better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: