View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:54 pm    Post subject: Trim tab headache Reply with quote

My trim tab recently came apart, and I'm confused as to how to fix it. The tab has been on the CD 22 since 2006.

The base is attached to the piston via a pressure fitting, which has separated and the tab is now laying parallel to the transom. Their isn't any kind of a break, it's just simply a separation.

I tried pushing the two pieces back together with no luck.

Anyone have such a problem? Is this a factory (Bennett) repair job, or am I just SOL and will need a new tab?

Photo of problems is posted in my album.

Thanks in advance for your help.

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Trim tab headache Reply with quote

dgeorges wrote:
My trim tab recently came apart, and I'm confused as to how to fix it. The tab has been on the CD 22 since 2006.

The base is attached to the piston via a pressure fitting, which has separated and the tab is now laying parallel to the transom. Their isn't any kind of a break, it's just simply a separation.

I tried pushing the two pieces back together with no luck.

Anyone have such a problem? Is this a factory (Bennett) repair job, or am I just SOL and will need a new tab?

Photo of problems is posted in my album.

Thanks in advance for your help.

If it's a Bennet give them a call. Fantastic customer service Wink Thumbs Up
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demetri, I had this happen to me a few years back. I took the actuator off the boat and was able to eventually repair it in my garage with the use of a vice and some tools. A year later it happened again. The first time I couldn't figure out what happened. Did a deer try to stand on it. Was it some kids vandalizing property? Both the first and second times when I pulled it apart I noticed a lot of moisture inside the main body. To this day I really suspect what happened is water got in there, and when the cold of our midwest winters hit, the freezing action popped that piece out. I finally replaced both trim tab actuators. I found by ordering a set of two, it was cheaper than ordering just one. So I replaced both of them. I still have the one used good one and plans are to take it to Hontoon in March for the auction. They are the standard Lenco tabs. If this is what you have, you are welcome to it for the price of shipping. The wiring is cut at about 5-6" from the top of the actuator, so of course you would have to splice into it there. (Late note. I see you mentioned bennet. However, your photo looks exactly like my Lenco's, and shows exactly where mine came apart. That piece is pressed in with the shaft pressed around it. It was a bitch to get pressed back together, and in the end didn't stay together anyway. I'd really recommend you go for a new one. Or if my old one might work, it would save you a little bit of money for how ever much longer it stays together. Colby P.s., if you look in about the middle of my nested album here: http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2514&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php You can see what the Lenco trim tabs look like. This might be the new ones, and I couldn't find a photo of what mine looked like when it was broken.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the photo, it appears as if the plastic end fitting was swaged onto the accentuater of the cylinder. I would put it back in place. Pressure or rubber mallet tap in place. Might be able to put a pin thru the metal and plastic to hold it: That is why I have the Dremel tool--set of bits for different sized collets. Use a SS bolt or ring nail as the pin. This would probably work until you were able to get a new cylinder. " Tab Man". passed on a few yeas ago. He used to troll all of he forums looking for problems with Bennett tabs--he is missed!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks Doc and Colby for your gracious and timely help.

Colby: you are correct, the tabs are Lenco's. I would like to ACCEPT your offer to take the piston/actuator off your hands. I am pretty good at electrical and I'm sure I can splice it in. I'll send you a PM with my address here in CO.

Cheers to all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: