The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Transom HP limits
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickstr-1

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CDory
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Transom HP limits Reply with quote

Hello new to forum.
I have a 2004 22’ Cruser
Currently running (2) Honda 40hp.

Like to up grade to a single 140hp

Transom is rated for 100hp.

Anyone have any experience with this type of upgrade.

Nick

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Suzuki140hp Reply with quote

The 22 will be very unstable at WOT probably over 40mph The newer 22s were rated at 115 Hp (2007 or so)I don’t know if they beefed up the transom ?
The major problem. Would be if there was an accident the Lawyers would have a field day
When Aux Coast Guard does Safety checks they look for Hp placards
When we repowered our CC23 Venture we went with a115 Merc. CT which has the bigger gear case of a150hp lower unit it was rated at 120hp the next few years were rated at 150hp Good luck with your repower

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Transom HP limits Reply with quote

Nickstr-1 wrote:
Hello new to forum.
I have a 2004 22’ Cruser Currently running (2) Honda 40hp. Like to up grade to a single 140hp
Transom is rated for 100hp.
Anyone have any experience with this type of upgrade.

Nick

Welcome aboard.

I don't believe there were any substantial changes to the hull, except for those in 1987. The boats since mid 2000's have been rated at 115 hp. The Suzuki 140 is the same block as the 115. That is the only 140 I know of which would be suitable. I agree that the boats are not particularly stable at over 30 mph. I have a 140 Suzuki on my Caracal Cat--Some have the 115, and have about 5 mph less at the top end speed.

I would check with your insurance company before buying a 140--tell them the truth. Other than that, the boat will handle the weight. But if you hit something, there could be transom damage. The boats run very well with the 115 and even a heavy load.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't have an answer on hp limits but you will never need that amount of hp or torque on a 22. you will never use the top rpms of this engine, it is likely too heavy, i think batteries, kicker and main max 500 pounds limit per C-Dory owner's manual.

You will not ever want to go over 28 knots. The boat is scary after that speed. I know. Get a 115 with a 4 blade prop probably 15 pitch. Get a lightweight ie. yamaha 115 4 stroke.

That is my $0.02 worth. Best of luck eh.
Nickstr-1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great input.
Currently I run between 17 & 22 mph and burn 4.5 to 5 gph.
The 115 hp and the 140 hp are the same block and weight. The interesting fact is they are thr same block and overall weight (428 lb). Fuel burn at 3000 rpm is actually less on the 140 hp model.

I would like to cruse in flat water at 30 mph or 26 knots.
I agree boat would be danergous at higher speeds.

Considering a transom stiffener plate, wondering if anyone has tried this.

Nick
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Suzuki 140 Reply with quote

If you are buying new or was the Suzuki 140 given to you? If not buy the 115 and be happy you will be able to do 30mph all day long
When we bought our 90hp Suzuki in 06 it was the same block as the 115 hp Suzuki 1.9 L the 140 hp was 2.1 L so the 140 was a little bigger
For insurance and for $$ I would buy the 115 in fact go for the 115 Mercury CT which has the bigger gear case We have the same motor on a23venture WOT about 32-35 mph
Good luck Jim
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, I too think 140 hp single is pushing the hp for a CD22 beyond need or practicality. I had the same 40hp twin Honda’s as you & did a upgrade to twin Honda 60’s last summer, which I have documented in this thread & will continue to update it as I learn more about the increased hp performance.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=27697

My opening post on this thread contained this “This summer my twin 20 year old Honda 40’s are running as well as they ever have, but being as I like to explore in remote areas where engine troubles may be more than just an expense & irritation, I’ve decided to repower with new twin Honda BF 60’s. Only their use will confirm or not the added price & extra 50 pounds total weight over the twin 40’s to be worth the benefit of having more power at lower rpm, either when running just one or both. One thing for sure, I’ll never be concerned in rough seas about boat control if one of the motors does go down like many who run a single with a kicker & I will likely be able to plane on just one motor if that option becomes necessary.

For those interested, Sportscraft Marine who is the oldest C-Dory dealership has no problem with selling & installing the twin 60 hp motors even though they are 5 hp over the max plate rated hp. The owner of Sportscraft Marine informed me, as I already knew, that their is no legal requirement for hp ratings on a power boat over 21 feet. The rated hp from the factory for the CD22 is a recommendation only, though in the motor mounting process they will be making sure my transom is sound. Also the total weight of the twin BF 60’s are the exact same as the Honda BF115 that C-Brat, Lew had mounted on his CD22 without a kicker.”

Jay

Fishcatcher907

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Legacy
Photos: Legacy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you go through with it?
Do you have the blue boat I seen in Whittier white the black Suzuki 140?

tsturm

C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishcatcher907 wrote:
Did you go through with it?
Do you have the blue boat I seen in Whittier white the black Suzuki 140?

I saw a blue 22 cruiser w/140 suzy & 9.9suzy kicker in Homer a couple of weekends back. A good friend put a 140 on his 22 cruiser 4 years ago, a 2004 w red accent, its in the greater Anc. area along with the blue accent one, neither owner has had any issues nor are they afraid of the boat lawyers or HP cops, I am glad to be in Alaska. Thumbs Up
Nickstr-1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: 140hp upgrade Reply with quote

As an update I removed the old twin Honda’s 40hp
First I spoke with the design engineer at the new CDory plant. He said that there would be now problem with the 140 hp in terms of hull performance but would make sure that the transom was solid. I discussed the addition of a stiffner and he gave the modification 2 thumbs up.

I had an 3/8”aluminum plate fabricated and powder coated to match the boat.

I have ran the new motor for about 50 hours so far. Top speed at about 6,000 rpm is 30 mph. Cruse at 4,800 rpm is around 24 mph. Fuel burn at 4,800 rpm is about 4.8 gal per hour.

Because the 140 ho has the troll feature it works well for fishing and the 60 amp charging is awesome with the drum wench, pit puller, etc.

Very happy with the upgrade.

For those interested I chose the white model motor and it looks sharp with the CDory
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'm happy w/your mostly ill-advised over the top repower, if you are.
But why wouldn't you first didn't think 2 60s rather than a 140 Shocked

I've found though, going against the grain and good luck isn't always wise
and it doesn't last. Simply put, things go wrong. The marine environment is
very unforgiving.

Until then then, enjoy.

Aye.

Fishcatcher907

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Legacy
Photos: Legacy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 140hp upgrade Reply with quote

Nickstr-1 wrote:
As an update I removed the old twin Honda’s 40hp
First I spoke with the design engineer at the new CDory plant. He said that there would be now problem with the 140 hp in terms of hull performance but would make sure that the transom was solid. I discussed the addition of a stiffner and he gave the modification 2 thumbs up.

I had an 3/8”aluminum plate fabricated and powder coated to match the boat.

I have ran the new motor for about 50 hours so far. Top speed at about 6,000 rpm is 30 mph. Cruse at 4,800 rpm is around 24 mph. Fuel burn at 4,800 rpm is about 4.8 gal per hour.

Because the 140 ho has the troll feature it works well for fishing and the 60 amp charging is awesome with the drum wench, pit puller, etc.

Thanks for your quick response.
I’m thrilled you love your new motor. Mines still gout under 1000 hours, so I’d better get to boating before I get serious about a change.
Very happy with the upgrade.

For those interested I chose the white model motor and it looks sharp with the CDory
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rename Nichstra's boat "Edge Finder".

Aye.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Suzuki 140 is a lot different than a Honda or Yamaha 150. The Suzuki 140 is on the same block as the 115, same weight. I have owned a 140 for over 13 years. Good engine, which I use on the Caracal Cat which was originally rated for a 115, then upped to 140.

The speed of 30 mph at 6,000 RPM, is what one would expect with a 90 Honda and light boat. The 140 would give higher speed at full load. With a different prop, I suspect that the 140 would give speeds in the 36 mph arena.
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
nb
The speed of 30 mph at 6,000 RPM, is what one would expect with a 90 Honda and light boat. The 140 would give higher speed at full load. With a different prop, I suspect that the 140 would give speeds in the 36 mph arena.

I get those speeds and his stated fuel burn with on my 22 with the new 90hp Suzuki. It's fairly light.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: