The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

I bought a boat! (not C-Dory)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I was interested to see you listed the Portland Pudgy in your tender options. I have been watching them for years, even considered one for SleepyC, but the weight was a factor. I still think they are the utmost for a PNW tender, and virtually indestructable. If you have a way to put it on the swim step (like with a Weaver Davit system or such) you get away with not having to lift it, and you have a USCG certified life boat on board.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Mark, I was interested to see you listed the Portland Pudgy in your tender options. I have been watching them for years, even considered one for SleepyC, but the weight was a factor. I still think they are the utmost for a PNW tender, and virtually indestructable. If you have a way to put it on the swim step (like with a Weaver Davit system or such) you get away with not having to lift it, and you have a USCG certified life boat on board.

Harvey

Harvey, I don't believe that the Portland Pudgy is "a USCG certified life boat". I thing the design is great, and I used somewhat the same concept for a "life boat" on my ocean crossings. (A hard dinghy with massive excess floatation, and a canopy, plus survival gear in both it and an inflatable fitted with rapid inflation cylinders.) I had included a motor always attached, with 6 gallons of fuel, a sail rig and oars.

Perhaps there is some confusion since the boat is "CG approved for 4 passengers" as a row boat. This is much different than CG certification as a life raft.

I had a problem in Portugal where the port captain would not clear my vessel out because I didn't have a certificate of inspection a life raft. The impasse was resolved when I mentioned the magic word "Balsa". (He didn't speak any English, and my Portuguese was very limited. I tried the world "foam' and it didn't work.) It seemed that even an open balsa raft would have fulfilled the requirements.

The potential problem with these Is weight--128# base weight. If the boat can be in some form of davits or crane then it works well. Hoisting aboard, without winches and a crane is more difficult.

All in all the Porland Pudgy is a good solution, but heavier to pull up on the beach--and the carry can be some distance because of the tidal range. One could fit large pneumatic wheels, as on some inflatables and RIB's. (The small wheels on the keel of the PP are fine on a ramp or smooth surface, but not on rocks.)

Then there is price: Although the basic boat is about $3,000. The canopy is $2,275, Fenders, sail rigs, electric system, more secure storage & Bilge pump, even without davits or Torqeedo outboard is almost $9,000. Granted one's life is worth far more than that...but to get the most of a "life raft" configuration is necessary. If one got the motor and davits, the price could easily reach $12,000.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned the Portland Pudgy because I recall that Greg has or had one and thought he might chime in. They can be the answer to many problems, but I'm still not convinced that they are worth the money.

Our last boat of this size came with a 10' Sorenson dinghy. Very stable, clunky to row (no outboard), with straight sides that worked well with Weaver davits on the swim step. Weaver davits are a trip hazard, otherwise okay. They hold the dinghy stable and, with our new boat having a door out on to the swim step, would make dinghy boarding very easy.

One day in our old boat, when going through the Ballard locks, the boat beside us had a cute little Ranger sailing dinghy. They wanted something bigger and I wanted a sailing dinghy that fit on our cabin top. I sold the Sorenson and the Weaver davit$ and almost broke even.

The little dinghy rowed great and was fun to sail in a calm harbor. It was not a lifeboat and took some time the get it off the cabin top and in to the water. Best with two people, but I could do it myself taking even more time. So I also bought a Switlik Crewsaver. http://www.fawcettboat.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=F245383244DC46C18568F1680C3BEEC9&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjfvwBRCkARIsAIqSWlNLHBi2rgNm4Ff2xtR9mVhN6fuaSbyrBVDJTkgI_YSv7m1ru4peNG4aArc4EALw_wcB

I basically had $2K total into a hard sailing dinghy that did everything that I wanted and a quick deploy dedicated life raft that did everything I wanted (except maybe fly me to shore). I did a lot of solo cruising and the idea of taking the time to launch the dinghy in an emergency bothered me. The hard dinghy certainly rowed better, but I could see that rowing would not be my concern in an emergency.

If I can come up with swim step "davit" system without the trip hazard, I'd probably go with just an inflatable for this boat. I'm mulling over the idea of somehow using the gaps in the teak swim platform to hold an unobtrusive (Nylon straps???) mounting/swivel point for an inflatable. Also, the Tung Hwa has a hard rear deck cover all the way to the stern and it would be easy to mount a block and tackle from the center of the overhang to the outside of the dinghy when in the water. That angle, and being able to use my body weight pulling down, would allow me to easily flip up a dinghy on to the swim step. I had a similar system on another boat where I used a ratcheting one-way block that allowed me to stop and catch my breath if needed.

I'll have to channel my inner Rube Goldberg.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice!
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, it has been a long time since I had looked at the Pudgy site, but it seemed I remebered they were USCG Certified. I just looked through their site and don't see that now. They use the wording, "fully functional, 4 person lifeboat" [" the Portland Pudgy is an unsinkable, dynamic lifeboat."] and then list "US Navy approved", "USCG recommended", and "SOLAS approved" in their list of components.

Another, lighter and probably close to as indurable possibity would be the foldable, Port-a-bote. Great for dragging up on the barnicals, and unsinkable too.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.porta-bote.com

For info on the Porta-Bote.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
www.porta-bote.com

For info on the Porta-Bote.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Looking at the Porta-Bote instructions it seems that it would be kind of hard to set up (deploy) if you were cruising with it folded up on the top of the cabin and decided to use it. Not really enough space in the cockpit of a 22 or 25 to lay it out and stand on one side while using the "2 Step Boat Opener" to unfold the boat.

With my inflatable (if it is stowed in the container) I can spread it across the splash well and put a bit of air in it, then toss it over the side and fill it up while it is floating.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a Porta-Bote back when we had a Corsair Trimaran (sailboat). It was a challenge to set up on the nets, but the biggest issue with it was the gawd-awful black marks the bottom center joint on the PB leaves if it rubs against your pretty while gelcoat. It was a decent dinghy - as Harvey mentions: nearly indestructible. Between a solid dinghy and an inflatable, I considered it to "slither" over waves; a bit unnerving at first, but it was never a safety issue while we had the PB. I would think it would be impossible to set up in the small cockpit of any C-Dory... you get what amounts to a wooden "pry bar" to hold the boat open while inserting the seats. And, speaking of seats, the Porta-bote folds up to the size of a surfboard, but you also have the seats and transom, which take up a considerable amount of room.

We already had an inflatable dinghy when we bought our C-Dory, but I sold the Porta-bote at that point, knowing that I wouldn't be using it with the CD-25. The Porta-bote was relatively convenient to take with the motorhome we had at the time (PB strapped on top of our Tahoe tow vehicle, seats and transom in the back of the SUV). You need space the length of the PB, plus more than it's width to set up (you stand beside it to get the process started).
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, Thanks for the mention og th PB leaving a black streak. I have an 8 ft PB, but have not used it on the C-Dory (yet), as I have not figured how to get it up on my rack. It is heavier by 20 pounds over the Alaska version I have. I agree, it would be near impossible to set it up in a CD cockpit, so if/when I use it on the C-Dory, it will travel up on the rack over the cockpit.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album1333&id=1_10_2012_from_Canon_961&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, I like the Porta-bote; certainly not putting it down. It is functional, as long as you are clear about the potential downsides: storing the extra pieces (seats and transom), the black streak, and the prying-open part of the set up. Now, for full disclosure, that tight set up does ease up a bit with a bunch of openings and closings. For even more disclosure, I had the boat close up on my legs once while setting it up... felt like a scene from Jaws. Mr. Green No damage done, even when I fell on my side on the dock. I did, however, look around to see if anyone saw how stupid I looked. (No.)

I haven't heard of anyone being wrestled to the ground by their inflatable dinghy... although I did have the bottom of one come unglued while spray-washing the bottom on Wild Blue while in my buddy Herb's boat lift. I got 10 years of good service out of that dinghy... and, no, that "inflatable dinghy glue" didn't hold.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
I did, however, look around to see if anyone saw how stupid I looked. (No.)

Jim, that's a boaters "Natural" instinct! Bass opening day 2007(still remember the date) I was coming back into the marina around 7:30am. Came to the wall and decided it would be a good idea to sit on the gunwhale instead of reaching over for the cleat. Ended up leaning too far and my hand on the wall had the effect of pushing the boat off the wall - into the drink I went. In a last ditch effort I grabbed the VHF antenna(which snapped like a twig). The water was less than 4' so no problem standing up and yes the next thing I did was look around to see if anyone had seen my mishap! (No). I did find it rather funny later so decided to tell the guys at work. 13 years later I am still the brunt of many "Antenna" jokes!

You are not alone brother! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Regards,

Rob

hardee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim and Rob. Here I thought I was the only one who checked to see if anyone was looking..... and there was. A whole wedding part standing on the balcany at John Wayne Marina. Oh man, that was embarrassing Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Now back to the original (?) thought. I think the Porta-Bote can work, BUT I'm pretty sure it works best if it is left assembled.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relieved to learn I'm not the only one to look around to see if wedding parties or Youtubers are amused by my bloopers.
Hey, Mark, I also want to congratulate you for your latest family member. That's one eye-catching, classy craft, and I wish you both years of delightful cruises. That style and size has long been a favorite of mine. And hey, it's good to know we've added a bountiful party boat to the regatta!
Cocktail
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think about this extra-tough KaBoat? The size and 80# wgt is more than I’d want to try to inflate in the cockpit. But takes up to a 10HP motor. Won’t fit beside the rooftop AC. Impressive 16” tubes and 12” HP air floor.

https://www.boatstogo.com/kayaks-sk385xl.asp

Cheers!
John

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: