View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Throwraft has anybody tried one? Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zX5iL_dYkqs
Would you try one?

cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no. give me a floating piece of orange foam any day; no maintenance.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in the "no" group. It is approved as:"THE WORLD'S FIRST INFLATABLE THROWABLE TYPE IV PFD - APPROVED BY THE U.S.C.G". Not a life raft. I just don't see it as a substitute for a life raft, or life ring/cushion/life sling. The only advantage I see is its small size. Not going to keep the sharks from nibbling on my feet! Its only 21" x 22". There is a larger "survivor", 24" x 48" mentioned in the Amazon ad, but "currently not available"

If you want a minimal coastal life raft: REVERE LIFE RAFT 2 PERSON COASTAL COMPACT VALISE is less than $1,000.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmetzenberg wrote:
no. give me a floating piece of orange foam any day; no maintenance.

And no chance of air leaks.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really see it as a life raft just emergency flotation while someone is in the water waiting for a rescue. The small size makes me think I could throw it farther than the ring or the pad. The ring is to big for a 22 in my opinion unless you tow it. In scouts they taught use to make a shirt into a flotation device and it worked leaked like a sive but it worked.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one several years ago. It’s competing against the original Mustang Survival ‘Throw Stick’ which can be thrown accurately to a crew overboard, even against the wind. It inflates when it hits the water. We’ve always carried one, in addition to the USCG required items. The Throw Stick is not USCG approved like the Throw Float, although it seems cleverly designed and effective.

https://www.rescuetech1.com/mustangsurvivalrescuesticknew.aspx

We keep the required Type IV floating cushion at the helm, where it could be tossed out the window, but I don’t see it going very far, especially into the wind. We regard both as throwable inflatable PFD’s for COB, not as substitutes for life rafts or wearable inflatable PFD’s for crew.

The advantages of the Mustang Throw Stick include a much smaller size. We stick the handle in a rod holder in the cockpit, unless we’re in seas or rain where it would get splashed and inflate. A disadvantage is the high cost of replacement of the inflator (which is in the new handle) at $50-65 vs $25-$30 for the Float. Also, the COB must figure out how to don it when it inflates near them, rather than just float on it like the Throw Float. All bobbins/CO2 canisters should be replaced every 3 years from mfg (printed on the bobbin) like most other ‘dissolving pill’ inflatables.

All that said, we tend to prefer the Throw Stick despite it not being USCG approved, since USCG approval is moot on safety items that are not USCG required. If one of us is going forward or locking or onto the catwalk to lower an antenna etc we don a 35# (not 22#) auto-inflate PFD unless it’s raining (then a 35# manual inflate PFD though that won’t help an unconscious wearer). A better solution would be $300 hydrostatic auto models that only inflate when under 4 inches of water, with $75 re-arm kits every 5 years. My birthday is in April.

Hope that helps.
Cheers!

John

SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:

All that said, we tend to prefer the Throw Stick despite it not being USCG approved, since USCG approval is moot on safety items that are not USCG required. If one of us is going forward or locking or onto the catwalk to lower an antenna etc we don a 35# (not 22#) auto-inflate PFD unless it’s raining (then a 35# manual inflate PFD though that won’t help an unconscious wearer). A better solution would be $300 hydrostatic auto models that only inflate when under 4 inches of water, with $75 re-arm kits every 5 years. My birthday is in April.

Hope that helps.
Cheers!

John

I just did a full update of pfds and grabbed two mustang hydrostatics for 200$ each. Today I looked and they are around 230$ on the mega web vendors. Early Birthday? Also I have been wearing a hybrid manual inflatable around the icy docks this winter and it has been fantastic (mustang khimera). My logic is I don’t need full poofy neck collared buoyancy hindering my efforts to get out of cold water next to the dock, but a little bit is nice for keeping me afloat and helping me swim back to safety with all my winter layers dragging. If it gets hairy I can rip the cord and start using my “noise maker”.

Have you ever had to deploy the Mustang sticks in an emergency? If so how did it pan out? Thanks

Nigel
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For rescue, I much prefer the "Life Sling". . One major advantage is the ability to hoist aboard using the davit. The life sling concept to bring the line and buoy next to the person overboard is a way of solving the entire problem, instead of just providing floatation.

On board Thataway, we have a 24" life ring, with a "Throw bag". Plus the throwable cushion. As far as life jackets we are in the 35# floatation inflatable ones category. In cold weather, and often at sea, we wear custom made North Sports closed cell foam/nylon vests which have 15# of flotation, keep us warm, and also help pad our ribs from fractures if we are thrown against a solid object (since the foam goes all of the way around the vest to protect our ribs).

Perhaps from a dock or anchored boat the throw device would come in handy. But not sure how far I could throw any of these considering age and conditioning.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very similar unit that attached with a long line to the boat; like an inflatable Life Sling. I did use it once when someone fell off a boat next to us. Worked fine.

Then the bag that mounted to the boat started falling apart; the stitching "rotted out" due to UV. The final straw was when the unit inflated while still within the bag and well, that was that. I threw it all away. Now just have two floating cushions.

lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you end up in the water you better have ahold of that. Once inflated it will sail across the water with the slightest breeze.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on this subject, we prefer Type 1 Offshore non-inflatable PFD's that are SOLAS 2010 std certified (a higher std than USCG uses). They will include SOLAS grade reflective tapes, a built-in 'buddy system' tie together cords (we would prefer to stay together in the water) and a 'heave up' strap like Bob refers to for onboard rescuers to grab onto. Also attachment straps for your SOLAS ULT water-activated strobe and included SOLAS whistle. $53 each at Gobal Industries with free shipping.

We cinch these in the cockpit, since inflatable PFD's do not count unless you are wearing them onboard.

Our serviceable but slightly faded prior Offshore SOLAS Type 1's will be $15 at the Hontoon auction.

Nigel, I have never tossed a Mustang Survival Throw Stick in an emergency COB situation in the past 45 years. I pray that I'll never, ever have to. If you promise to come to the Hontoon Gathering, I promise to demo it, despite the cost. Fair deal?

Cheers!
John
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have carried a Mustang Throwstick for about 6 years; have not used it, so far. I also carry a cushon on a 60 foot line. That one is the first priority to throw if the MOB is within range. The Throw stick goes next. I tried a PVC stick weighted the same, and could get it pretty consistantly 75 feet.

Have 'em, hope I never need 'em.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John: Despite the cost of the throw stick or despite the cost of getting to Hontoon island from Eastern Washington? I think I could “fall” in near Friday harbor and test Harvey’s and save us both some cash. I would like to see That part of the country though. Maybe hang on to that offer a couple years.

We still keep non-inflatable pfds on board, and always on the kids, but I hate the bulk and will not take my pfd off while the kids are on board unless I’m sleeping. If they go over, I’m goin over and I am not stopping for a pfd. Just too much invested in them already! Is there a cbgt MOB ring toss competition? Is that how you haze the new people? Make us float in the water for hours while you practice your 75 foot tosses? Could be worth it. It seems like it could be safer IN the c-brats than OUT 😂
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about having a MOB throw bag contest at the Friday Harbor CBGT. Or at least give some people a chance to try it out. Best to find out at the CBGT that your bimini cover prevents you from actually throwing a throw bag more than 10 feet. Watching a loved one drift away isn't the best time for practice. And if you're the person in the water, do you know what to do?

On this happy note, do any of the commercially available PFDs have a lift ring strong enough to get a person out of the water like the LifeSling? I think that I had a PFD that had D ring to use a lifeline tether when going forward on a sailboat. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to have this feature. The LifeSling videos always look like the rescued person is comfortable in a cushioned sling. I wouldn't care if it lifted me back on board by my pants.

Mark

How pressure can effect your MOB throw bag accuracy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vXy2FfrTDM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The item which is missing on most if not all of these MOB items, is what is vernacularly called a "Crotch Strap. Marco's mention of a substantial "D" ring is also important.

We still have our harness from the sailing days, of heavy webbing, with D Rings, tether and crotch straps--not easy to get out of, if the points are properly latched. These are made to lift from the D ring. Many lifting mechanisms, will allow the person to slip out of the straps or fall when being lifted. Problem is that we don't wear them all of the time, as we did when on deck on the sailboats in heavy weather.

Even though we are having a "cold" spell in Florida, the water out of Blue Springs on the St. John's river near Hontoon is a constant 72*!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: