The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Suzuki vs E-tec
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Suzuki vs E-tec Reply with quote

Hello C-Brats.

Assuming all else is equal, boats are in the same condition (19), similar maintenance history, and I have a dealer nearby that services both, what would you go with?

2006 Suzuki 4 stroke 90 or 2008 E-tec? The Evinrude is several thousand more but it's a couple years newer boat and motor - also has a permatrim.

This is for recreational cruising. Not really concerned with top speed or getting on plane a couple seconds quicker. Of upmost importance is reliability and ease (cost) of maintenance.

Thanks.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Suzuki vs E-tec Reply with quote

curioustraveler wrote:
Hello C-Brats.

Assuming all else is equal, boats are in the same condition (19), similar maintenance history, and I have a dealer nearby that services both, what would you go with?

2006 Suzuki 4 stroke 90 or 2008 E-tec? The Evinrude is several thousand more but it's a couple years newer boat and motor - also has a permatrim.

This is for recreational cruising. Not really concerned with top speed or getting on plane a couple seconds quicker. Of upmost importance is reliability and ease (cost) of maintenance.

Thanks.

The first gen. E-tec's were not very good motors. The new series E-tec are great. I would go with the Suzuki over the 2008 e-tec. Wink
curioustraveler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tsturm, I know the early e-Tec's had issues. I walked away from a boat that had a 2000 E-tec. Don't know when they started improving though.
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to read this discussion from another C Brat's experience with the year model of Suzuki you are looking at:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=24647

For the ETEC, I have heard others not like them as they are noisier and like the other reply posted, the first generation had some problems.

For what it's worth anyway, glad you're being picky.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Suzuki guys/gals in our group this might be of interest - https://www.facebook.com/BridgeYachts/posts/2709475609105509 .

A friend of mine is introducing the new 2020 Suzuki duoprop outboard at the Toronto Boat Show. Unfortunately I only see them in the 300 and 350hp models. In the smaller hp range Suzuki has the ability to reverse one engine with twins.

Regards,

Rob

curioustraveler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salmon Fisher,

I wonder if that's something I could have a surveyor look for? Honestly though, I'm expecting possible problems with any engine. It's one of the reasons I keep coming back to C-Dory's. If/when I have to repower, it'll be much less money than replacing a 150 or 200 on the back of most walk-a-rounds.
jkswor

City/Region: tok
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Missy marie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 25 cdory in 2017. Had 2 2007 90 hp etec s on it. Only issue I had was one fuel injector fail. Had all 6 injectors cleaned by fuel injector man in Naples fl. Last month. So shouldn’t have any more issues. So I’ve been told the 07s are good motors if maintained. Have served me well
They are lighter than others and have a lot of power.
There is an etec owners group or forum which is very helpful
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a history of Suzuki corrosion failures in the year range. Might want to Google it.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Suzuki corrosion problem is that they used a steel plug in an aluminum casting. That was corrected from 2008 on. Many of the pre 2008 motors had that plug replaced and are Fine. If they have been used extensively in salt water and not well rinsed after each use, the plug and surround may be so corroded that it cannot be replaced. I am aware of some of these areas which have been repaired by a good welder.

I would want to have the engine checked by a good mechanic.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
curioustraveler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I just called the broker. The boat's been maintained by a professional shop so I'll check with them and also have the engine looked over again if I decide to move forward with this one.

Any more thoughts on an E-tec?
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I know about the Etecs:

The original two stroke alternative to the four strokes was the Fitch motor developed by Evinrude. That was a disaster. Evinrude solved most of the Fitch's problems and came out with the Etecs. These were reasonably successful and competed well with contemporary 4 strokes. They were noisier and burned more fuel than the 4 strokes but being a 2 stroke they were somewhat lighter and had great hole shot torque.

In recent years Evinrude came out with the Gen 2 Etecs, but only for 150+ hp engines. The G2s were a significant improvement and compete with the best 4 strokes on fuel economy. They still are a bit noisier, but by a few dB- not so much and probably not even noticeable. Maintenance requirements are particularly simple- no oil changes for example, just add oil every 200 hours or so.

Unfortunately after years of promises there is no immediate hope of a G2 115 hp engine or less.

So the Etec you are considering is a bit newer than the Suzuki and maybe enough to offset its weaknesses....or not, and then you have the corrosion problems of the Suzuki discussed above..

David
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, Evinrude has recently done just that, released a G2 3-cylinder at 115, 140, and 150hp. I have no experience with these motors but do a search and you will find lots of online discussion about the new series.
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had an etec on my old whaler. ran like a bat out of hell. Their a really fine tuned engine. They'll either run or they wont. They don't like running at low speed so if you do a bunch of trolling this isn't the one for you. The Seattle fire department hates theirs cause of how much slow putting they do... lots of issues.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
davidjm

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: E-Z Rider
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a C Dory 19 with an E-tec 90 0n it, and a Macgregor with a Suzuki 70 4 cylinder, same block as the 90.

The Suzuki is much quieter than the E-tec, but weighs a lot more than the E -tec. If the motor your looking at is one of the ones that has the corrosion problems, then that's a deal breaker for sure.

My 2006 E-Tec has about 700 hours on it and I have spent about $5000 on maintance and repairs over the last 12 years. Boating can be expensive. I like the E-tec because it is about 50 lbs. lighter than the Suzuki and lighter is much better on the CD 19. I have my motor set to the 100 to 1 oil setting for synthetic oil, and about one half of my hours are at trolling speed, it doesn't smoke, but I change my plugs about every 75 hours. The end of the plugs burndown and when the gap gets to big the engine will start to run a
bit ruff.
I love my CD 19 Angler and use it all the time for fishing, crabbing, and shrimping in the San Juan islands, but why are you wanting to buy a fishing boat to do recreational cruising. I know some people do use the 19's and 16,s for cruising, but a CD 22 cruiser would probably work twice as well for cruising as a CD 19 Angler.
curioustraveler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

How's your luck been with the Suzuki?

You're correct...the 22 is a better boat for cruising. We have specific reasons we're looking for a 19 though.

Also, I'm sending you a PM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: