HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailering from Seattle to River's inlet BC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joechiro30

City/Region: Lynnwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Trailering from Seattle to River's inlet BC Reply with quote

Has anyone fished river's inlet BC and has trailered or boated from Washington?
I'd like to make a trip up there and book out a week. Any info and tips would be appreciated. Never have done this trip but may take the Tomcat up there to fish for big kings first week or second week of August.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you can drive into Rivers Inlet. If so, it is not likely you want to tow a boat on a trailer on that road. You can trailer into Bella Coola, it is a better road, but it is still it is steep mountain road in places. You can take the BC ferry there.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

chipwagon

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Sam 'n Leo
Photos: Sam 'n Leo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

River's Inlet is one amazing place to fish and explore and you have the timing right. I've haven't been lately but guided there for several summers back in the 90s. The way to get there is from Port Hardy. It's only about a 2-3 hour trip but of course takes special consideration because it is open water. There are lots of places with good tips on that crossing, I came across good info here http://slowboat.com/guide/info/rounding-cape-caution-2/
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Port Hardy is the closest you can get.
hardee wrote:
You can take the BC ferry there.
SleepyC Moon

Are you sure? I've taken the ferry from Port Hardy to Bella Coola and it didn't go to River's Inlet.
Boating from Bella Coola would avoid open water, but that's a long (but scenic) way around. The road to Bella Coola is much improved over what it used to be. Still gravel, but wider and more pullouts.

joechiro30

City/Region: Lynnwood
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chipwagon wrote:
River's Inlet is one amazing place to fish and explore and you have the timing right. I've haven't been lately but guided there for several summers back in the 90s. The way to get there is from Port Hardy. It's only about a 2-3 hour trip but of course takes special consideration because it is open water. There are lots of places with good tips on that crossing, I came across good info here http://slowboat.com/guide/info/rounding-cape-caution-2/

Awesome that you guided there Blair. You must have caught some monster kings. That's the reason I want to trek out there is to hook and land big sized kings. Are the fishing holes close in? Do you have any maps of the fishing holes? PM if you can give out some info and details as to how to fish rivers inlet. What gear and lure combinations that work best. Thanks
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the water it will be closer to 80 miles from Port Hardy to River's Inlet. Weather can make the trip thru open water on the rough side, but we have done it in larger boats a number of times, with zero problems--and sometimes calm all of the way across Queen Charlotte Strait.

I would not want to trailer a Tom Cat to Bella Coola. I am with those who say trailer to Port Hardy.( Port McNeil is another option--it is further, but may offer better storage option?--not sure of current situations). and run over from there.

For those who do not know; you have to have electric over hydraulic brakes (or electric) on the boat trailer, if the total weight is over 2800kg (6160#) in BC. Then " operator controlled" brakes are required. I have never been stopped and checked (we have towed only the C Dory 25 in BC). But if you had an accident, I suspect that there would be repercussions.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcg wrote:
Yes, Port Hardy is the closest you can get.
hardee wrote:
You can take the BC ferry there.
SleepyC Moon

Are you sure? I've taken the ferry from Port Hardy to Bella Coola and it didn't go to River's Inlet.
Boating from Bella Coola would avoid open water, but that's a long (but scenic) way around. The road to Bella Coola is much improved over what it used to be. Still gravel, but wider and more pullouts.

Yes, the BC Ferry does go to Bella Coola, but not to Rivers Inlet that I can find. The run from Bella Coola would be more protected, (no open ocean crossing), but you could still have some serious head seas and winds. I guess that can happen most anywhere though.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you could still have some serious head seas and winds. I guess that can happen most anywhere though.

Harvey, The run from Bella Coola to Rivers Inlet is pretty well protected from both the North Westerlies (by Calvert Island) and then from the South by the mainland out to Kelps Head. We always figured by the time we reached the Southern End of Calvert that the seas calmed down. But the run to Bella Colla on the Ferry is going to be considerably more expensive--more than the fuel running across directly from Vancouver Island. Plus if Joe so desires, a night at God's Pocket (We were always able to arrange dinner ashore at the lodge) is a treat not to be missed.
Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do decide on the BC Ferry be sure to book well in advance as I believe you would be over height and summer is really difficult.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer to Port Hardy but turn left instead of getting on the B.C. Ferry. Drive 20 minutes and launch at Coal Harbor to fish Quatsino Sound. Plenty of Brats have fished out of Winter Harbor on Quatsino (and you can also tow there). They can tell you whether a $1,000 ferry ride to Bella Bella/Shearwater and back tracking to Rivers Inlet is worth the effort. From my experience, there isn't a king salmon worth $1,000. If there is, they will also be at Quatsino.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chipwagon

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Sam 'n Leo
Photos: Sam 'n Leo
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
From my experience, there isn't a king salmon worth $1,000. If there is, they will also be at Quatsino.

Mark

Agreed there isn't a king salmon worth $1000, when I do the math of boat, accomodations, gear, fuel, moorage, insurance... mine tend to be worth about $5000 a pop.

Winter Harbour is also an awesome place to fish and explore (did a trip last summer) but of all the places I've fished on the BC coast, Rivers Inlet is pretty unique and special.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: