The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda 200
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmie

City/Region: Glen Allen
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Honda 200 Reply with quote

I just purchased a 2006 C-Dory 25 and it has a Honda 150 looks and runs great but previous owner did not flush it much if any. It is running hot under load due to salt build up in the passages. I found a Tohatsu 200 same motor as a Honda for a great price. Weight is reportedly about 625 lbs. I see some people run twin 90's which are even heavier. Do you think I will regret this purchase from a heavy stern standpoint ? I would prefer a 200hp under 500 lbs but that will run me 4-5k more. I would think the bigger displacement would cruise the boat nicely. Appreciate all opinions.Thankfully the owner was very anal about caring for the rest of the boat.
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you first flush the engine with Barnacle Buster or similar and see how she goes? I realize that flushing with fresh water does more than reduce fouling, it slows corrosion as well. BB flushing won't help the latter.

David
Jimmie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna do that but preparing for the worst. I have used Salt-Away before. Never heard of barnacle buster. Do you think it is better?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably none of the liquids will work or at least fully clean the salt. I had a Yamaha, which had apparently not been flushed. We ended up pulling the head, using tools to work out the salt deposit--same down into the passages. Then using Hydrochloric acid got most of the rest of the salt and scale out.

Starbrite makes an engine descaling liquid. Vinegar may work to some degree. If it is starting to overheat--I would at the minimum pull the head to see what degree the passages were clogged.

200 HP--is a great motor for the C Dory 25, and that is what I would put on the boat, if I had an excuse to change out motors--not likely, with about 500 hours and running very well!

Tom on C Otter had a 200 HP 6 cyl Yahama, and traded it out for the 200 HP 4 cylinder motor. Hopefully he will give you his opinion. The 4 cyl is 487# for a 20" shaft basic outboard. The V6 F200 is 608#, so there is a weight difference of a bit over 100#. The V6 is the same block as the 250, and it is 3.6 L displacement, so a lot more "reserve".....vs the 2.8 Liter displacement of the Yamaha 200 4 cyl.

We run a lot of weight in out boats (extra batteries, freezer, etc) and although the boat does better with lighter weight--faster and better mileage, it "works" with the weight and a 150. I do recommend that one put a Permatrim on the motor--this gets the bow down more, and a better ride in the chop. Do you, or will you put a Permatrim on a new motor?

There is the cost of re-rigging--assuming that you can use the Honda gauges and binnacle, should work on the Tohatsu?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the Yamaha and Suzuki 200 4s are much lighter. About the weight of a Honda 135.
1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without hesitation.....go for the 200 horses. You'll never regret it. The heavier, cheaper one is certainly an option, but I find, by far, the less weight in the stern the better.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the 200hp. but try pulling the thermostats. They get salt in them and then stick open or shut. just pull them and put new ones in. The problem is even if you do flush the motors but do not let it get to temp the thermostats do not open and the water can not flush the top end. Here are my house the water out of the well is very cold 45 degres or so. If I do not run up the idle while flushing then the thermostats will never open up. Not wide open but a bit above idle for 5 mins does the trick. If you live in the south were its 80 degree water then it might not be a problem.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Bob mentioned above, the Honda 200 is a V-6 and has some known problems. Ask about the lower crankcase bearing on the V-6, if they have redesigned it.

I tend toward the simpler to maintain 4. Also I think it's best to keep weight out of the rear of a 25.

Boris
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the 200 hp inline 4 Yamaha that I’m running with a Permatrim. We have put on well over 300 hours in the last year and a half. It’s about the same weight as the 200 v6 2 stroke I replaced. As mentioned Suzuki 200 has similar weight and a good reputation. My 25 has a lot of weight on the stern. 9.9 Yamaha high thrust kicker, 3 AGM batteries, Honda generator, 40 quart freezer and fishing equipment. If your not going to put a lot of extras in the back the Honda may work for you. If you do I think you’ll have some regrets.

I just talked to a brat yesterday that replaced his twin Honda 90’s for a 200 and he was amazed with the extra power. He did miss the ease of docking with the twins. Always compromise.

Best wishes! Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I have trim tabs on my heavy cruising 25, do you think adding a permatrim to my 200 Sizuki would make a noticeable improvement, if so how? Heading down to the Sea of Cortez for the winter next Monday so it would have to be next summer's project unless I can find one in La Paz.
Thanks.
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah

My Yamaha 200hp 2 stroke came with a Permatrim and it worked well on the boat. ( over 700 hours) Got right on plane and was easy to trim. I also have trim tabs. Bought New 200 online 4 Yamaha and dealer would not put on Permatrim. Said would void warranty. So ran for over 300 hours without. I really missed it. Took more work to trim, could not get my bow down as far with a heavy load and I’m always VERY heavy in the stern.

I found a dealer that said I’d only have a warranty problem if the Permatrim caused the problem. Next day installed it. Couple of days later took the C-Otter out on the St. John’s River. Got back the handling that was missing. My wife even noticed the difference right away.

Can you run a 25 without a Permatrim? YES... but once you have one......you will not want to!

Tom
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful reply Tom, I'll make it a project!
Jimmie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies/info. Gonna try and clean out the salt/crust soon.
Have had quite a few Permatrims on my Arima boats and like them. Will order one when I figure what motor I will be sticking with for a while.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hijack the thread but that has me interested, adding a permatrim. Has anyone had one on their Honda 150? I put the SESport one on my Yami 115 on my Hewescraft and it was a great. I had been looking for one for a 6hp yamaha and didn't know about the permatrim brand and now I see they have one. Thanks!

Let us know what you end up doing, I've seen a few boat show specials on engines.
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 80 gallon oblong stock tank filled with water and a tub of sulfamic acid crystals. I run the motor till the cooling water gets almost hot. All kinds of crude comes out.

Jimmie, check your thermostats as they can get plugged up easy. Might not be as bad as you think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: