The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

22' model - best repower choice
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: 22' model - best repower choice Reply with quote

Most of the early models sold came with a 70hp 2 stroke motor which weighed 254 pounds. The 1989 factory flyer indicated this power achieved 32 mph at WOT at 7.0 gph. Cruise was 4000 rpm, 22.5 mph, at 4.0 gph, getting 5.6 mpg.

By greater than 2:1 ratio. The most popular repower is the Honda 90 hp, specs show this motor weighs 359 pounds. What sort of performance numbers for this motor ?

The only current 2 stroke motor produced is the E-tec. Looks like a fair number of 22's have repowered with this motor. It weighs 320 pounds. What are it's performance numbers?
Thanks for your help.
jakevolvo@yahoo.com

City/Region: Orting
C-Dory Year: 1986
Vessel Name: C-Told Ya So
Photos: C-Told Ya So
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have have any numbers but I just repowered my 86 22' angler with a 2019 honda 90 and installed a permatrim, the performance is absolutely incredible. way better on gas than the 70 merc it came with, top speed is around 35 mph WOT and that's at around 5700 rpm
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

115 yamaha 4 strke
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transoms have been sitting lower and lower in the water over the years with heavier engines being added. twin engines are especially heavy. The original design wasn't intended to have 450 lbs on the back of the boat. They can handle it, Ive had ours overloaded and it was fine but the less weight the better of course.

We have a newer generation Honda 90 EFI on our 22, and our comfort zone for cruising seems to be in the low to mid 20s mph, at around 4500-4600 rpm in smooth water. It being 359 lbs, it's a great choice and I've had good luck with Honda everything. You cant go wrong.

If I was repowering tomorrow I would look very closely at the Yamaha 115, as it's 377 lbs. That added 25 hp might come in handy on occasion when glassy conditions allow a higher top speed.

Another popular option is the Suzuki 115, which weighs 416 lbs. That's a bit more weight, but its proven to be a reliable motor. I know of one boat with this configuration that's made it to the Bahamas and back at least once, so that's proven itself as well.

I'm personally done with two strokes after decades of buying oil and changing plugs, but they do have a following so to each there own. Thumbs Up

Last edited by PaulNBriannaLynn on Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When one says early models, I assume they mean the pre 1987 boats, which were a flat bottom right to the V of the bow. 1987 on the was variable dead rise and the same hull pattern is used in the boats day.

Light boat, is very unusual: Means one or two people no water and min fuel. We have cruised with food for a month, including a freezer in the cockpit, 3 batteries, and a chest with extra supplies--the boat handles well, but top speeds are diminished. Each of my 22's went to 30 mph with a 90. But when heavily loaded, and depending on altitude, cruising speeds were 17 to 22 mph.

If you are going to do any cruising, go with the 115. If not then with a modern 4 stroke 90. Permatrim and trim tabs help the boat's ride and performance.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year following 17 seasons of running twin Honda forty’s on our 2000 CD22, I repowered with the expensive option of twin Honda BF60’s. I’m entirely satisfied with my choice. This thread details the why & the results so far.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=27697

Jay

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Fishin C wrote:
115 yamaha 4 strke

X2
Whidbeydory

City/Region: Clinton
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: A Reel Adventure
Photos: Whidbeydory
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2017 we repowered our 22 cruiser from a 75 hp Honda to a 115 Suzuki. We put over a thousand miles on the boat last summer fishing on the North end of Vancouver island and even with the increased horsepower we saw increased fuel savings.
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a proven motor yet, but I would give serious thought to the new Evinrude E-TEC G2 115.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone but me like the new 115 Mercury? It's really light and powerful. It isn't even that expensive....well in comparison. Plus Bass Pro is the service department for whatever that is worth.
san juanderer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Merc 115 Reply with quote

I liked the specs and features compared to the other 115's.
Then I ran across a web site called Consumer Affairs, it was loaded with disgruntled owners. I realize that there are hundreds of happy owners who do not say how happy they are. Whereas someone who is having a problem is looking for someone to hear there agony.
So I have sort of dismissed it.
I think a manufacturer would be smart, to try to make sure there product owners are happy.
Are there any Merc 115 or 90 owners that would like to chime in ?
thanks
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan asked me these questions in a private message, but I thought I'd also share them here for anyone else that might appreciate the data. Also, forgot to mention in my PM reply, that I also run a Permatrim on the motor, if that matters. Last summer while cruising the Inside Passage at displacement speeds (5-6mph), my fuel usage was 5-6 mpg. On plane heavy it was anywhere between 2 and 3. (Closer to 3 when the fuel tanks were closer to empty...Might also have been on the lower end due to barnacles on the hull. No bottom paint....) I was running the 3 blade prop then. (Otherwise I tend to run the 4 blade.) Normal on plane numbers for around here seems to average out to around 3.1 or 3.2 mpg. This is for Midnight Flyer, a 2007 CD-22 Cruiser, with a Mercury 115HP EFI 4-Stroke. (Note, my typical cruise or on plane speeds are either 16mph or 21mph. My top speed at normal light weights is around 32mph.)

What year is it ? 2007

How many hours have you got on it? 1,400. Purchased with 50 hours.

Has it been reliable ? Mostly. I did have a fuse link wire replaced soon after purchasing the boat used. I believe it was due to new battery's being installed with reversed polarity by the previous owner's shop (Sears) just prior to my purchasing. (The batteries were correct when I bought it, but my mechanic said reversing polarity would blow that fuse cable. Since the previous owner had just had new batteries installed for the sale, that seemed to be the most obvious case.)
At 259 hours I had to replace a pressure regulator vent line that runs through the fuel module. The shop I purchased the new vent line told me it was probably due to running fuel with 10% ethanol. However, the 2007 was suppose to support 10% ethanated fuel, so who knows. I replaced that myself and have not had a problem since. I still run ethanol during the summer, and only put non-ethanol premium in it towards the end of the boating season. Only other repair was replacing one of the pencil coils at 204 hours. Otherwise I perform annual maintenance on it, usually replacing the spark plugs, changing the oils, and replacing the air filter, up till last year when the new filters became more of just a screen. And of course also changing out the fuel and oil filters. I change the water pump every other or third year.

Is it the Command Thrust ? Not sure. The serial number is 1B500809.

What prop diameter/pitch are you using ? Quick Silver Black Diamond 3 blade, 14 x 11. And also Solas Rubex 4 blade, 13.25 x 13. Both aluminum. I tend to usually run the 4 blade. Seems to give me better hole shot and control. Both props appear to be pretty well matched for specs in reaching WOT.

Your general thoughts about it? I've been happy with it. Easy to find service and parts, especially here at home, with the manufacturer headquarters 80 miles east of here. Smile I do tend to run at 100-200 hours a year. This past summer I placed about 400 on it with my cruise on the Inside Passage of SE Alaska, along with more local boating. I tend to run at planning speeds, but much of my Alaska cruise was at displacement speeds. I've also done some trolling. For usual cruising, I tend to run at about 4500 RPM I believe. IOW, it's pretty much ran at all RPM.s Everything still seems to run well on it. I have thought about what I would repower with when the time comes. I tend to think the 115 is a bit of overkill, and think a 90 would do fine. However, unless the 90 weighs a decent amount less, I'd probably just go with another Merc 115. Running high speed on the Mississippi River with some other boats during C Brat Gatherings, while I tend to be the fastest boat, I don't really pull that much more ahead of those running 90's. I've been happy with a single as opposed to twins, but I also have a 6hp Kicker. The boat came with a single, so that's what I have. No regrets.
san juanderer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: A review of the reviewing web site ! Reply with quote

Seems that a review of Consumer Affairs Reviews needs to be done.
Seems that they use peoples reviews for there own benefit.
That's not nice.

Back to your Merc thoughts.
thanks
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby - that's good information and thanks for sharing and writing it up. They did an almost complete redesign of the Mercury 115 just a 3-4 years ago. They shed a bunch of weight, added cubic inches, increased efficiency, and made it easier to service. I honestly think my next boat is a Tomcat - been saving.
DrewbirdII

City/Region: fanny bay
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Drewbird II
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am super happy with my 2015 90 CT mercury, I was nervous when I bought it being just released as a new motor built by mercury, 900 hrs later not a single problem. I do my own maintenance so its only had to go to the shop for a diagnostic ( 100$ ) 300hr service. The Command Thrust with the 15x17 prop gives the boat good lift on the aft of the boat allowing for a very heavy load. The fuel burn on a 2600 nm trip to Alaska averaged out to a liter / nm. cruising around 14-16 nm/h at 38-4200 rpms. Loaded down with dingy, 60 gal. fuel, 20 gal. water and three 6 gal. jerry cans plus all the extras it will still hit 5250 rpm. I believe the 90 and the 115hp have the same motor, the only difference is the size of the fuel injectors so the 115hp develops its power at the top end. I`m hoping the larger displacement motor on the 90 will give me years of service.

Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: