View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howtam

City/Region: Clarkston
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rising Sun
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the Welcome. The forum is awesome. It has been so much help.
Doug n

City/Region: Fort St John
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Sharon L II
Photos: Sharon L II
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there. I did end up buying the 19' angler in Nanaimo. Looks to be very well cared for. Hauled it home a few weeks ago. About a 3200km (2000mile) round trip, but well worth it. Boat/trailer pulled great behind my F150. Can't wait to get it in the water but unfortunately that won't be until May as the water is quite hard here until then. A few things that I want to do to the boat of course which should keep me occupied for a while. I really appreciate the info that people have taken the time to post on the site that helps out everyone. That has sure helped in my boat search. I believe this boat was originally George Hone's. Not sure how many owners in between.
Doug
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Doug, Welcome and glad to see you here. Yes, George had a 19, Kerri On, and then moved up to a 22. He went back to being a live aboard on a sail boat last year. He towed with a F-150 I believe. George is a good friend of mine.

Hope you are able to enjoy the project stuff until that water turns soft.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Storm Dog

City/Region: Biloxi
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mae-C
Photos: Mae-C
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Greetings Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm Glenn and have been watching and learning on this forum for 2 months. My wife and I are looking for a C-Dory 25 Cruiser. We've been researching trawlers for about a year and have decided a trailerable is a good fit for us at this time. We're in Biloxi a lot of the year but permanently reside in Colorado Springs. No navigable waterways to Colorado. We wouldn't mind help with finding, selecting, and transporting a C25 here to Mississippi. I started out leaning towards a Ranger Tug, but you know, money tree in the back yard is almost bare! A C-Dory is more affordable for us. Also easier to tow considering not owning any heavy duty towing vehicles.

How would I do a sea trial in the winter in say, Canada or upper east coast?

Glenn & Mysha
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Glenn & Mysha! We are also fans of the C-25 but must say that if towing across country you should plan on a vehicle rated for towing 8K to 10K pounds, or better. That will still be better than towing Ranger Tugs or any trawler, but it's a good bit more than the factory's optimistic specs. Good luck with your search.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Glenn and Mysha, Dana and I are fairly new C-Brats, we had a Ranger Tug R 25 that we had towed around the west. Even with my 1 ton diesel truck it was stressful and we found it overcomplicated to maintain and modify for our cruising needs, also it was hard to find diesel on a lot of lakes in the west. We bought our CD 25 in South Dakota and trailered it west to our slip in Monterey bay, the trailer because of the CD's easy launch shallow draft is shorter and in our case 6" narrower, the difference in weight is significantly less also. A HD 3/4 ton would be fine for our "new boat", but as Bill said above you still need to be in the tow rating range above 8,000 pounds for the better brakes and safety. The interior has the same basic layout as the Tug except for the stand up v-berth, I don't know anything about winter towing so we waited till spring for our South Dakota trip. A lot of boats tend to be for sale in areas like the South and Pacific northwest where you can get a sea trial anytime, just be sure you also have a good survey.
Good luck!

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG

Last edited by Micahbigsur@msn.com on Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Aboard!

The C Dory 25 is in the 8,000 # category and the Ranger Tug will be in the 10 to 11K category. I towed several 25's with a half ton vehicle, but recently upgraded to a 3/4 Diesel. If doing serious mountain towing (Colorado) get electric over hydraulic brakes on the trailer.

Your Colorado location is great for Powell, as well as Fleming Gorge and Yellowstone.

If the water is frozen, then no sea trial. I bought a boat on Lake Michigan. The launch area froze overnight while I was there. Thus no sea trial. I ran the engine on Muffs and had to accept that.

A buyer would be responsible for any prep charges to get the boat ready and re-shrink wrap. I would want a boat in snow country which had a full cover or cockpit cover. If not the boat should be shrink wrapped or kept under cover.

The other option of course is to choose a boat which is further South than freezing zones. With Biloxi you are going to be using the same waters we do in Pensacola. The Gulf, the St John's River The Rivers of Tennessee and Kentucky, as well as the Mississippi and even down to the Keys. Some of the best warm weather boating there is. Of course we also love the cooler waters of the PNW--which are much closer to Col. Springs.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn & Mysha, Welcome and glad to have you here. Tons of good reasons to have a C-Dory, even plenty (in my opinion) over a R Tug. You will find maintenance much easier and cheaper, you will have the C-Brats resource, (yea, I know Tug Nuts, but the Brats are here.) Oh, and yes, I am biased too. 15 years here, and near that with my boat, and I still love it. You have come to a good place, all the best in your search.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Reefwalker

City/Region: Shelter Cove
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Ahoy there C-brats Reply with quote

I just bought my first powerboat, a 2005 Angler 22. I’m based out of Shelter Cove, California and will use the boat mostly for fishing out of that port. I look forward to years of boating and learning from the vast wealth of knowledge on this forum. Cheers!
Walker
Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ahoy there C-brats Reply with quote

Reefwalker wrote:
I just bought my first powerboat, a 2005 Angler 22. I’m based out of Shelter Cove, California and will use the boat mostly for fishing out of that port. I look forward to years of boating and learning from the vast wealth of knowledge on this forum. Cheers!
Walker

Reef walker,
Congratulations on your purchase - The Angler is a great fishing machine and your going to enjoy it. Im three hours south of you and fish out of Bodega - maybe or paths will cross one day!
Any questions don’t hesitate to ask anyone on this forum we’re all a friendly bunch!
Also Make sure you use the search tool on this site - you can just about find any topic related to our boats that you might be looking for.
Fish on! Beer

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reefwalker, Welcome and congrats on the new to you 22. Enjoy the C-BRATS site and stick around. Lots to learn here, about the boats (Great) and the folk (super nice) and helpful. Hundreds of topics, threads and questions answered, and plenty of current topics too.

Enjoy and stay safe,

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Aboard! In the back of my mind there was something peculiar about boat launching at Shelter Cove (we have anchored there a couple of times). Looking it up--it showed a C Dory being towed to the beach launch by a tractor...
Interesting place to boat...

Is the diving still good there?
Reefwalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ahoy there C-brats Reply with quote

Teufelshunde,
Thanks and i hope our paths do cross. I hear the salmon season has been hot out out of Bodega. Cheers

Teufelshunde wrote:
Reefwalker wrote:
Walker

Reef walker,
Congratulations on your purchase - The Angler is a great fishing machine and your going to enjoy it. Im three hours south of you and fish out of Bodega - maybe or paths will cross one day!
Any questions don’t hesitate to ask anyone on this forum we’re all a friendly bunch!
Also Make sure you use the search tool on this site - you can just about find any topic related to our boats that you might be looking for.
Fish on! Beer
Reefwalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway,
The Shelter Cove launch has a checkered history, but is functioning well right now. Yes its a tractor launch. Getting the boat onto the trailer can be a challenge in a south wind or swell.
I hear Shelter Cove has great diving on the rare occasion of great visibility. The mendocino coast is know for good visibility, but up here we are open ocean and there is usually some color to the water.

thataway wrote:
Welcome Aboard! In the back of my mind there was something peculiar about boat launching at Shelter Cove (we have anchored there a couple of times). Looking it up--it showed a C Dory being towed to the beach launch by a tractor...
Interesting place to boat...

Is the diving still good there?
Reefwalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hardee

hardee wrote:
Reefwalker, Welcome and congrats on the new to you 22. Enjoy the C-BRATS site and stick around. Lots to learn here, about the boats (Great) and the folk (super nice) and helpful. Hundreds of topics, threads and questions answered, and plenty of current topics too.

Enjoy and stay safe,

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 17 of 21

Jump to: