The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Removing the alcohol stove REPLACING with Wallace
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzycat

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Can Dory
Photos: Can Dory
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Removing the alcohol stove REPLACING with Wallace Reply with quote

Hey there! Im Doug. Im pretty stoked to be owning one of these classics, and even more stoked to understand how this web site works!! The 800 D single burner stove made by Wallace , combined with the 220 D Blower lid for safe heating and cooking. I was wondering if anyone else has done one. ?? javascript:emoticon('Smile')
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put one on my sailboat and it worked pretty well. Cooks pretty fast. Puts out a lot of heat, is a little noisy though.
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: I did the reverse Reply with quote

I did the reverse, replacing a Wallas with an Origo alcohol stove. Now I can fix it myself, instead of shipping it to the factory when the circuit board goes bad (at the worst possible time, thousands of miles from home and it hovering around 32 degrees outside :=)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
C_&_C

City/Region: Campbell River
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Sea Rose
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are newbies and only just replaced our butane canister stove with a 800D with the blower lid on our Tomcat 255. Thus our experience is very limited, but quite positive so far.

We did spend a night on the boat and were quite comfortable, even though the temperature got down to -2 C and the docks were covered with thick frost in the morning. The berth area did run a few degrees cooler than the main cabin, although I suppose a small fan could be used if that was a problem. For us it was fine.

In those conditions we had it running pretty much continuously for a couple of days and it may have used as much as 0.1 l of diesel per hour. The fan does make noise, but it was a steady white noise and didn't bother me, even though I am a very light sleeper. As we wussed out and stayed at a marina for this test, we had shore power and so can't comment on the battery draw.

It does take a long time (10 minutes?) to start up and shutdown, so plan ahead for a cup of coffee and shut it down in advance of arriving home if it goes through your house battery switch as it has to have power for the shutdown.

We were concerned about the many reports of problems with the Wallas stoves, but convinced ourselves that these all seemed to be based on older models, with few reports of problems with the more recent ones. Time will tell.
C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any pictures for us of your boat?
1988 22' Angler
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had 4 Wallas diesel stoves in 4/5 of our C Dory and never had a problem we could not fix. The current boat came without a stove, and we are using an induction burner.

The Wallas, needs a good 12.8 volts to start--some start their engines to be sure the voltage is up there. When you shut down, shut it down on high.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jakevolvo@yahoo.com

City/Region: Orting
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Told Ya So
Photos: C-Told Ya So
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put one in my 86 angler, easy peasy take your time measuring everything before cutting, awesome addition to classic I love mine
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Wallas, which was original to the boat in 2000 was never ending trouble. I ended up having to replace it in the first month of a 3 month SE Alaska cruise in 2012 with a new updated model 85. The new one in 2012 hasn’t been exactly trouble free in the last 7 years, but I, like Bob have been able to repair the minor problems on the go, unlike the first one that quit beyond my ability to repair during each of our 2007, 2010 & 2012 SE Alaska extended cruises. I think the Wallas combo heater/cooking stoves are equal or better to the other high priced diesel or kerosene burning electronic controlled alternatives. The combos are all high dollar & complicated.

Doug, I think you will end up being very pleased with it.

Jay

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed and sold our Wallas as it was neither a good stove nor a good heater. Replaced with a dedicated Eberspacher diesel heater and a one burner butane stove. Could take up to 45 minutes to boil water.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Stoves Reply with quote

We replaced our 800d with an electric /alcohol stove works every time .I got tired of hoping /praying to the wallas stove god .In Florida we don’t really need heat ,except a few times a year .So this Canyon elec alcohol stove fit right in with very few modifications happy with it so far Jim
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C_&_C wrote:
<snip>

I suppose a small fan could be used if that was a problem. For us it was fine.

<snip>

We use an EcoFan on the cooler burner to push air into the berth. It works nicely, with no power draw.

Here it is on Amazon

C_&_C

City/Region: Campbell River
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Sea Rose
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Wandering Sagebrush"
<snip>
We use an EcoFan on the cooler burner to push air into the berth. It works nicely, with no power draw.
<snip>
[/quote]

We will probably investigate these as they sound like a great idea. The Wallas manual does have a warning about not running the stove with the cover open unless there is a pot on it, but I imagine this is just a safety thing relating to flesh or something flammable being accidentally placed on the hot surface.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C_&_C wrote:
[quote="Wandering Sagebrush"
<snip>
<snip>

We will probably investigate these as they sound like a great idea. The Wallas manual does have a warning about not running the stove with the cover open unless there is a pot on it, but I imagine this is just a safety thing relating to flesh or something flammable being accidentally placed on the hot surface.[/quote]

I don't know why Wallas states that either, but we have also used the Eco Fan. In essence it acts as a heat transfer device, similar to how a pot does...The thermo electric effect drives the electric motor for the slow speed fan. That reminds me that I need to bring the Eco fan to Hontoon for the raffle!
Jazzycat

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Can Dory
Photos: Can Dory
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Wallace 800 D, 22’ classic. this website is G R E A T ! Reply with quote

I’m trying to figure out how to share some pictures of her... i will..

Wallace 800D with the c-dory 22classic

Thanks for your response! This feels like THE MOST USEFULL experience on the World Wide Web😎-to date !!
Seriously.
Is Thru-hull exhaust the norm for these heaters.. or did anyone go up?

I’m standing by with hole saw 🕳
Ha ha
The exhaust port will be down into the panel below the paint.. to get the right vertical recommended..( by Wallace) ..to keep water from entering the heater via the exhaust...

Cheers, to All!!
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the original Wallace on my 2005 boat and in the three years I've owned it I have been happy with it despite it's limitations. It is a nice stove to cook on if you are not in a hurry. For a fast cup of coffee I use a jet boil and I also have a small butane stove that I use in the cockpit, where I cook mostly to keep odor and moisture out of the cabin. I like the Wallace in the morming to warm and dry up the cabin as well as heat my water for breakfast. I also use it with an aluminum dutch oven for baking.

Heating is another story. It's a nice heater, but limited. We have sat out some bad weather and remained comfortable. I use an Ecofan set on the burner instead of the built in fan. It does not use any battery power and is quiet. When things really get moist and cold in the boat, the Wallace is slow to dry things out, especially in the v-berth. I have just bought a Wabatso heater to be installed next spring. I have decided that I need more heat and air circulation than the Wallace can provide and I am planning to install a blower vent into the berth area to dry things out when it's really wet and cold. I am planning to cruise in Alaska in the next few years and want to stay drier and more comfortable.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: