The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Horn does not work.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:
colbysmith wrote:
Hi Bob,
Hey, regarding those Wolo Train Horns you mentioned. My horn works, but I like the idea of something that is much louder! Can you provide a little more information? Like which model horn? Thanks. Colby

I'd like to know that also.

Loud horns save lives or something like that (Harley Davidson fans).

I would also be interested. I still have the originals, ( a duel sound set, that I thought were fairly loud. Works if you are backing out of a slop in the marina, BUT, last summer up in the Broughtons Andy and I were doing some testing (Fog horns) and were very surprised to see how short a distance any of the horns were audible at. The canned air horn came out the best, but at 1/4 mile even they were only faint.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad,
TomCats usually use a roof mounted trumpet horn with wiring routed through the roof. No way to fit one under the eyebrow, and it sound only to one side.

The AFI XLP premium unit uses more SS parts and has a 5-year warranty, the best you will find.

Water/rain being forced down the trumpet into the diaphram and motor kills them quick, which is why the front mount is slightly lower than the rear for a downhill slant. Plugging the trumpet while trailering through a rainstorm might also keep water being forced in at 70MPH.

Others had a 1-2 year life expectancy, this one still strong at 3 years.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/afi-marine-premium-xlp-electric-trumpet-horn

Happy shopping!
John

cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
Conrad,
TomCats usually use a roof mounted trumpet horn with wiring routed through the roof. No way to fit one under the eyebrow, and it sound only to one side.

The AFI XLP premium unit uses more SS parts and has a 5-year warranty, the best you will find.

Water/rain being forced down the trumpet into the diaphram and motor kills them quick, which is why the front mount is slightly lower than the rear for a downhill slant. Plugging the trumpet while trailering through a rainstorm might also keep water being forced in at 70MPH.

Happy shopping!
John

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
Conrad,

Happy shopping!
John

I'd have to run it all the way back to the radar arch otherwise it would interfere with kayaks and dingys. I think i'll replace the cheapo original one with some junk from autozone to maintain my legal compliance. I still have a PA that i can scream over...
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
Conrad,

You might say "some Tom Cats"--Mine, and I don't remember any of the 2006 to 2007 era having a roof mounted trumpet horn--there is more room under the eyebrow of the Tom Cat than under the 22--and the 22's (and 25's) have the horn under the eyebrow.

The first air horn I had was a manually operated "Grover", which used a large tire pump type of device to sound the horn--and it sure beat blowing thru a tin whistle type that was the norm even up to the early 60's. On two of my larger boats I had a dual trumpet air horn, by Grover, which used a compressor right at the base--there was a mournful ramp up before full sound, but it worked pretty well--and was heard at over a mile away. The 65 foot ferrocement boat across the gangway from me in the early 80's had a real train horn. It was at least 3 bells, and was audible for several miles. The owner got a kick of bringing his boat near one of the bridges in Belmont Shore Long Beach and sounding it. Pretty much the response the videos show with the kids of today, and train horns under the mini car...In the Symbol trawler, I had a 12 volt compressor, and 3 gallon tank, with a solenoid valvue--that would rivel the Hadley Dual horn I had on my RV.

John, there are defectors which go in front of the bells of the truck air horns--not much to muffle the sound, but keeps the water out.

Here us a link to Wolo horns. Cheap, plastic and seem to hold up reasonably well.. You probably could mount one plastic chrome plated horn under the eyebrow. It would require the compressor on the inside (probably on the top shelf forward)--with that, it would probably last quite a few years.

Ref the canned air horns. We were picked for a "safety inspection" after we had crossed one of the Oregon bars in our Cal 46. A crusty older bosun's mate was in charge, and a new seawoman was doing the inspection. When the horn issue came up. I noted the air horn on the radar arch, and blew it at request. We were in the main saloon. I also showed the gal the canned air horn. She said "blow it". The Bosun'smate started to grab my hand as I reached for it (and my hearing protection)..."not necessary".. Then he lectured the gal about loud noises in confined spaces.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping that maybe those Wolo horns would offer a loud one without the compressor or need for an additional part. So back to the drawing board, any very loud horns out there that would reasonably fit under a CD22 brow, that are electric only? My current horn works fine. But I would like to get something loud enough to actually be heard inside another boat's cabin. Colby
Blue Rose

City/Region: Montgomery
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Blue Rose
Photos: Blue Rose
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mud dauber nest ruined my horn. I shopped for "loud" electric replacement horns with the highest Db ratings. I was not impressed. Mostly advertising hype and too expensive. Really loud but most had a "roadrunner beep-beep" sound that I don't like.

I bought a low tone Wolo 380-2T for about $13 on Amazon. Its loud and sounds like a truck. Now I just need to add a screen on it to keep the mud wasps out of it.
Jim

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim for the info. I'll have to look into that one. Colby
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI how you mount the horn can render it useless. I bought a loud one for a motorcycle but the combination of the horn's and the rubber mount's harmonics canceled the noise from the horn.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just replaced it, again. Was a rusted mess inside. The way they are mounted from the factory, under the roof brow using the factory anchor light mounting bolt allows them to fill with water, They are supposed to be mounted with the opening facing down to drain.

This time I made a cheesy stainless mount so now it sits vertically. Hopefully, this one will last longer than a year. Rolling Eyes

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Localboy,
On my 26, the horn did't work when I purchased the boat several years ago. I purchased a horn that was the same configuration as the original, so it could be wired and fastened like the original horn. Six months ago, that horn stopped working. I removed the horn, opened it up and like yours, it had water in it. I drilled a hole in the housing (like yours, the horn is mounted upside down, so the hole is in the new bottom). I was able to clean the horn and it worked like new. Now, when water goes in, in heavy seas, the water drains out.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat horn started getting pretty weak. The previous horn had a nice low note making the sound associated with a much larger boat (ship actually). Couldn't find a replacement that made the same sound, even though I searched all the models available from that company.
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding, but I don’t see a requirement for a horn under 27’ (I have a 22’). Every PFD has a whistle and I have a canned air horn handy.

Is the mounted horn more a vanity item than a requirement?
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A horn is a good thing to have but legally a couple of pots and pans you can bang together or any other noise making device would fulfill the requirement.
My horn received the mud dauber treatment and got replaced by a nylon version, I also have a small, canned air horn on the back deck that I can readily grab when fishing.

here's a handy document that spells out the needed equipment

https://www.usps.org/national/vsc/conductvsc_files/USCGMinReq_2012.pdf

daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
A horn is a good thing to have but legally a couple of pots and pans you can bang together or any other noise making device would fulfill the requirement.
My horn received the mud dauber treatment and got replaced by a nylon version, I also have a small, canned air horn on the back deck that I can readily grab when fishing.

here's a handy document that spells out the needed equipment

https://www.usps.org/national/vsc/conductvsc_files/USCGMinReq_2012.pdf

Very handy — thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: