The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ranger Tug vs C-Dory
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micahbigsur@msn.com wrote:
One question I have on these new outboard Rangers, unlike the diesel ones there doesn't seem to be anywhere to to mount a dinghy? ...

They have developed a contraption that carries the dingy over the O/B motor(s). It is used to launch and load a dinghy. There is a video of it somewhere online. It is not very visually appealing, but it gets the job done (more or less).
ssobol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micahbigsur@msn.com wrote:
Jack I agree the 5, 72-79 Porsches (911's, 928, 930) I owned were very basic, fun and simple but the new ones are a different animal, especially the SUV's, every bell and whistle and expensive high maintenance like the Rangers.
A new R 27 with a 300 Yamaha, base price $ 200,000
Base on a new R23 with a 200 Yamaha 115,000.
If you want a small luxury Yacht these stand alone.

I just "built" an R23 on the Ranger website with just some of the options I have on my CD 25 $147,790

That's like comparing a Bentley and a Honda Accord. They are both designed to do the same thing in the same conditions, but one is way more expensive than the other.
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please correct this if I remember incorrectly. It was a few years ago, and keep in mind that most boat builders may have 'not so good years'. But I remember some discussions that RTs were having such a year.
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course one can get more boat for the money but can you trailer it? Went down to St. Petersburg to the boat show yesterday and as there were no C-Dory’s there I went looking at Ranger Tugs. They did not have a 25 but did have a 23 and a 27. The price of the 27 was about $215,000 plus trailer and tax etc. ....so let’s say $250,000. More or less. There was also a used one for $180,000 with out a trailer but it did have a $15,000 generator.

Let’s do the math......I figure our very clean and extremely well equipped CD-25 which was repowered a year and a half ago is worth about $75,000. Yes, the RT 27 is also well equipped and somewhat larger but is it worth the extra $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Not to me but it obviously is to some.

It sure made us appreciate our C-Dory. I’ve done a lot of modifications on the C-Otter and looking at the Ranger Tugs and their refined interiors shudder thinking of running wires.

I guess it comes down to what a person wants........Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, the bad years were when they started installing the new 150 Cummins in the late 2000s. The engine was a new market for Cummins, many of the engine control computers failed, they were sourced from eastern europe and could be weeks or longer to get replacements, this was a low hour new boat problem and Ranger quickly went over to the 150 Yanmar we had in our 2012 R25.

Tom, as I always do with any new boat I started adding and changing things on the Tug, you're right, very frustrating with everything hidden and trimmed over and I had to hide everything I did also to preserve the "look"
Our CD 25 is easy and nobody notices the extra added wire or two.
They are towable but up one class of truck and our R25 seemed like a much bigger all around tow in every way than our CD 25. They are well suited for PNW cruises from home slips. Any tow is a serious undertaking.
We did tow ours California-Mexico-Lake Powell-California a couple of times with no problems except one trailer tire blowout in Mexico. It was much less stressful after we traded up from a 3/4 to a 1 ton truck.

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ranger Tug vs C-Dory Reply with quote

Osprey48 wrote:
New member here. First post. Not a boat owner. Currently in the research phase and would like to learn what are the primary differences between RT and CD.

Hi John,

I sent a PM yesterday, and just checked back to see if you had responded. NO hurry, but as you can see, you asked the right question to get plenty of response. AS you can see from the left hand column I live in Sequim. You are welcome to come and look at my boat, or ride when it is in the water if that works for you. One word of caution, C-Dory(ing) can be habit forming.

In the button bar up under the C-Dory logo, toward the right side there should be a button that says something about messages. ("New or No New ...") Click on that and it should take you to your Private Message Box. Click on the message and then you can reply buy using the reply (or Quote) button there.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from a 18 day cruise of SW Florida and saw several late modlel Rangers. One outboard (300 Yamaha) and two inboards.

No question they are nice pretty boats. They look good at the marina!

I like the utility of C-Dory however and I think they won't age as fast as the Rangers will.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking back. I sent a PM. Anyone get anything back from John (OP)? Looks like he is local so PM'd but no response . . . yet.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I didn't scare him off, he did want to hear from former Ranger Tug owners.
chimoii

State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Chimo
Photos: Chimo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
Quote:
I just "built" an R23 on the Ranger website with just some of the options I have on my CD 25 $147,790

Ridiculous. For that money I could get a really nice used Nordic Tug 32 or a mid-2000s Monk 36. So much more proven boats with more space, comfort, range etc.

Just for interest, how much is a new fully rigged out CD Venture 23 or 26 these days? Anyone know?

ssobol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimoii wrote:
localboy wrote:
Quote:

Ridiculous. For that money I could get a really nice used Nordic Tug 32 or a mid-2000s Monk 36. So much more proven boats with more space, comfort, range etc.

Just for interest, how much is a new fully rigged out CD Venture 23 or 26 these days? Anyone know?

I'm guessing that a brand new rigged Venture 26 is going to be a lot closer to $200K than you think.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simulate building a 27 Ranger Tug with the options you want including a trailer if you want a shock.

On the other hand a 29 (over 8'6 beam) just pulled in to the dock next to us in La Paz that he bought new in 2010, he loves his boat and tows it down to Mexico from Colorado.
Bobby P.

City/Region: Baltimore
State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: The Retreat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just getting myself distracted from social isolation and found this website.

I have owned lots of boats... 11 and 13 ft. Whalers, 16 foot Starcraft (an oldie), 17' Thomson bowlder, 30' Alberg sailboat, 28ft Bayliner, 36' Albin trawler and a few others.

I currently own a 2017 31' Ranger Tug Command Bridge. Bought her used with a trailer.

I'm not rich (I'm a teacher who does some construction on the side, my wife is a teacher/social worker). I've never owned a Porsche.

All I can say is "WOW"! I've had the boat for a year now and really like her.

The last boat we had was a 1978 Albin Trawler. We raised our kids on her (not live aboard, but a lot aboard). She was old and leaky and we were ready to get something a little newer. We love the trawler amenities and like bumping around.
Now that the kids are in and out of college, we also wanted to be able to to more exploring in further away places.

About 3 and a half years ago I started looking. What we determined was we wanted the biggest boat we could trailer and have as much trawler in it as possible.

The Ranger 29 and 31 CB (that's an upper bridge), does this perfectly.

As far as loading and launching, it takes may 10-15 minutes either way. It is actually easier than almost any other boat that I have owned, because it has a bow and stern thruster. I can perfectly position her in the water and then just drive up onto the trailer. I can't tell you how many times I've back the trailer in and out of the water trying to get the 13' Whaler positioned perfectly.

We live near the Chesapeake Bay. Last summer we went to the top of the Bay, across the C&D Canal, down the Delaware Bay and up the Atlantic. Circumnavigated Long Island and heading back after anchoring behind lady liberty for a day. What a cruise.

This summer we will tow it to New England, launch her, visit my daughter in Boston, the play around Cape Cod, then throw her back on the trailer and come home. This winter, we will tow to Florida and take a trip to the Bahamas.

To sit out the Corona Virus (we are teaching online now), we were just about to load her up and head to the Keys. However, the governor of Florida just closed all of the boating ramps in the state because people didn't know how to boat, but keep isolated. I think we will still go to the boat and just socially isolate there.

A little bit more about the Ranger 31CB... We have excellent electronics, radar, etc, which save our buts when out in Atlantic we got fogged in for 6 hours.
Also has generator, heat/AC, refrigeration, two heads, one with shower and nice queen bed. Oh, and I read that somebody thought these boats were a bit posh, well you are right, we have a wine cooler as well!

The power plant is excellent. We have the 300hp inboard diesel. It's a great all around engine. We can troll speed at 6 knots, burning under 2 gph. At 16 knots, we burn 10 gph. We like to troll, but if we need to out run or storm or something, we can always jump up and go.

In short, it is hard to "compare". I've piloted Cape Dory's I've owned a Bayliner and even went to the dark side and sailed a few year. I really have enjoyed all of my boats. Right nowI love my Ranger Tug - for lots of reasons.

If anyone would like to know more, don't hesitate to ask.

Best to all. Hope to see you on the water (from a social distance).

Bobby

Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby,
Thanks for the write up on your RT CB. I walked through one at the Rendezvous in Roche Harbor last Sept - Very nice!

What sort of town vehicle do you use and how does towing it on the highway go? Any issues getting permits when traveling from state to state?
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just cruised up the lower part of the Sea of Cortez with our friend Stuart who has a 2010 RT 29 that he bought new, he tows down to the San Carlos side from Colorado. He has been doing the Sea for years and loves his 29. Other than being dead slow compared to Sierra it is a nice boat! (10 mph slower).
The 29 and 31 need wide load permits one reason we originally bought a R 25 SC. Many don't get them that we have talked to, but if you get in an accident of any kind your insurance won't cover your liability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: