The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ranger Tug vs C-Dory
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Osprey48

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Ranger Tug vs C-Dory Reply with quote

New member here. First post. Not a boat owner. Currently in the research phase and would like to learn what are the primary differences between RT and CD.
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, welcome to the forum. You should find a lot of good information here.
There are a lot of others that know much more than me that will undoubtfedy chime in. Hopefully by some that have owned both. My wife and I really enjoyed our first season with our CD22 but also looked seriously at the Ranger Tugs specifically the R23. My big takeaway in the comparisons is the RTs are more expensive, larger, fancier, complicated, and not as fuel efficient. They look great though. All boats are a big trade off, so you just need to figure out what is most important to you.
Good luck!
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a Ranger 2012 25 SC.
Very heavy to tow and almost 3 times the draft so harder to launch on shallow ramps. The longer trailer needed makes it more of a challenge when maneuvering at gas stations and parking lots. I felt a lot safer towing it when I traded in my 3/4 ton diesel for a 1 ton with an exhaust brake and an automatic leveling air bag towing package.

The Tug is very much a luxury yacht in micro form, extensive teak trim, fore and aft thrusters, available built in generator, solar system, kayak racks, stern mounted dinghy, central heat and air, a high end electronics package, built in cockpit folding seats, BBQ, and cooler plus every othe possible trick thing in the book. If you want it they have it. They have a very good fiberglass layup system the hulls are stout and the interiors have very little condensation, the deep V hull is quiet and never pounds. The solid dark colored gel coat fades badly and is a lot of labor to keep pristine.

The downside for me is I am a DIY guy all the complex systems are carefully hidden from sight behind liners and teak trim. In the diesel ones like mine only the aft part of the engine is accessible through the big cockpit so all the belts, pumps and hoses that need yearly maintenance are accessed through a tiny hatch under the interior step turning 5 minute maintenance jobs into hours of pain and cussing.
They have multiple ACR's, batteries, fuse blocks, the charger, waterheater, thruster and engine fuses and computer all mounted under leaky cockpit sole hatches and I found prone to corrosion issues. Marine Yanmar and Volvo mechanics are far and in between away from the coasts. And unless you are a more than average mechanic yourself you will need the constant maintenance done by a very competant professional. This is normal for new Tug owners who tend to live an upscale lifestyle. The wives love all the interior luxury and all the comforts of home in a small package.
Diesel is not always available on lakes.
They cruise on a semi-plane at between 10 and 15 knots though the high speed cruise has a limited time because the diesels are not continuously rated.
Bottom line if you want a small yacht with every luxury and a lot of wow factor, are ok with the need for a high level of maintenance this could be perfect for you. Even better if you buy one of the newer outboard powered boats.

We bought an older C-dory that was basic so I could build it into the off the dock trailerable cruising bost I wanted. Except for the new outboards I was able to easily replace every system on the boat with new myself. The interior is simple and basic with most systems easily accessible. The balsa coring can have water intrusion problems which are even more of a problem in a freezing climate. If you understand it you can prevent this problem, but have a used boat surveyed. The boats that have aluminum fuel tanks can have tank corrosion. After 05 they have a molded cockpit liner with a large fuel tank floor access molded plate, a cleaner more modern look and no laminated plywood floor leak problems.
It is much lighter, easy to trailer and launch at any ramp. The hull pounds at speed in chop but will easily cruise between 15 and 25 knots (we have a 200 Suzuki) at slightly better economy than the Tug on flat water. Except for a stand up vberth it has the same basic layout as the Tug. Many of these boats are equipped with all the same features as the Tugs except for all the teak and thrusters. It does have more interior condensation. (Ventures have less because of liners, they also have foam coring)
C-dory owners seem to be very practical minded, handy and spend time on their boats traveling extensively with their boats. And note the different vibe on the TugNuts vs. C-brats forum.
For us having had many boats over the years, mostly large sailboats we, in the end prefer our CD 25 over our previous R 25.

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on which Ranger "tug" you are considering. Most likely you are looking at the outboard powered 23 (which is closer to a 27 realistically.)

The Ranger will ride better into chop. It will use considerably more fuel. Planing speed will start higher (as much as 6 knots). 10 vs 16 knots. The ranger has a fully finished out interior. The C Dory is very utilitarian. You can remove the fabrics, and take a hose to it to fully clean the inside. The lining does give less condensation, but is a potential maintenance head ache down the line. More fancy things, more to go wrong. Only Garmin in instruments (not a bad selection, but some prefer other brands. Hard to up grade electronics.

The C Dory will be more stable at rest, and more fuel efficient. It will run better down wind and waves than the Ranger.

I choose the C Dory line in 2003 and have stuck with it. I had seen my first C Dory in 1981 or 82, and vowed when I got too old for sailing I would get one of "Those". I did, after owning several larger trawlers and an express cruiser. I demoed several of the diesel inboard Ranger tugs when they first came out. They are very easy to run with bow and stern thrusters. Weight on the trailer ready to cruise in the over 7,000 # range, vs the C Dory 22 at about 4500#. Need larger tow vehicle. Ranger 200 hp, C Dory 22 70 to 115 hp. Range will probably be longer on the C Dory.

Probably better to compare the Ranger T 23 with the C Dory 25, weight are similar, as is beam. Range will be more on the C Dory 25.

What are your goals with the boat? I see you live in Sequim. The ramp there is fairly steep and can be slippery at low tide--I would suggest 4 wheel drive, although I have launched there a number of times with a 30' RV (lots of weight on rear duals, and my 4 x 4 Yukon XL. Slips are hard to get at John Wayne Marina, but I was always able to get a poorly accessible slip for my Cal 46 (back in the 90's during the winter months).

Read both forums, and ask a lot of questions.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned it depends on which Ranger you are interested in. The new R25 O/B looks nice. The maintenance on the O/B is going to be a lot less and easier to perform than on the diesel version. The RT23 only comes with outboard power. The price difference between a new Ranger 23/25 and a new C-dory 25 is not that much, but the boats are two different things.

No offense, but generally I would compare Ranger owners to people who own cars like Lexus, Lincoln, Merc, Audi. They like all the fancy fit and finish. If it breaks, they call someone.

I would compare C-dory owners to people who prefer Hondas, Toyotas, and the like. They want something that is easy to maintain and pretty much bulletproof. If it breaks they just fix it (which they prefer to do themselves anyway).

We have a CD22 (for about 7 years). We have been considering moving to a larger boat (but one that is still trailerable). We looked at the R23 O/B a lot (before the new R25 came out) and came to the conclusion that a C-Dory 25 was a better fit for us than a Ranger.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RT/Cutwater doesn't make a catamaran.

If they did, it would have a glass bowl sink in the head, thick granite countertops in the galley, cost $300,000 and require a custom $180,000 Freightliner truck to trailer it.

Happy shopping!

John

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No offense, but generally I would compare Ranger owners to people who own cars like Lexus, Lincoln, Merc, Audi. They like all the fancy fit and finish. If it breaks, they call someone.

I would compare C-dory owners to people who prefer Hondas, Toyotas, and the like. They want something that is easy to maintain and pretty much bulletproof. If it breaks they just fix it (which they prefer to do themselves anyway).

I’d use Porsche owners vs owners of old-school, air-cooled VWs...but the analogy is the same. Wink

Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful comparing new prices between Rangers/Cutwaters and C-dory/Ventures when we compared 3 years ago and visited both factories the Rangers when all the options we wanted where added on were a lot more, the base price is striped down with virtually nothing included that you want. Check out the build your boat part of their website. I could remember wrong but I don't think space wise the 23 quite compares with a CD 25 or Venture 26, they do use space in an innovative way. If I bought a new one I would check out the 27 the same 8.5' beam but much more roomy and seakindly with a greater range. You would need a 30 ft slip for it. Even the 23 would be long for a 25 ft slip with the outboards up.
Think of the C-dorys as the classic VW micro buses of boats, and a bit of a cult boat for all the same reasons.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: We need more info. What's your budget? Do you fish more or cruise more? A little of both?

C Dory vs Ranger Tugs is not an apples to apples comparison anymore (I think it probably was 10 years ago?).

I mean c'mon, RT has a 41 footer now. Its kinda hard to compare to the 2 brands.

C Dory produces some stout, no frills and economical rigs. Very good products and amazing following. Brats are a large portion of why many newbies buy a CD. Good ole fashioned bang for your buck and amazing resale.

RTs are a different animal. Much more expensive, WAY more amenities and a more finished product. I like Rangers Tugs a lot. Very nice indeed. Many Brats don't feel the same as I do but thats okay.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Ranger tug vs C-Dory Reply with quote

Porsche is to Ranger as VW is to C-Dory? What the heck! After owning various Porsches since 1990 and having C-Dorys for 18 years, I can assure you that Porsche’s and C-Dorys have lots in common. Durability, reliability, excellent performance for the dollar, fuel economy (think 30 mpg at 80 mph) with our current P-car are all assets that belong to both of them. That said, I can assure you the best seat in each of them is at the “helm”.
While Ellen’s health issues caused us to finally part with our C-Dory, I still have a look at this most enjoyable site every now and then.
Cheers
Jack

Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack I agree the 5, 72-79 Porsches (911's, 928, 930) I owned were very basic, fun and simple but the new ones are a different animal, especially the SUV's, every bell and whistle and expensive high maintenance like the Rangers.
A new R 27 with a 300 Yamaha, base price $ 200,000
Base on a new R23 with a 200 Yamaha 115,000.
If you want a small luxury Yacht these stand alone.

I just "built" an R23 on the Ranger website with just some of the options I have on my CD 25 $147,790

Last edited by Micahbigsur@msn.com on Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:49 am; edited 2 times in total
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ranger tug vs C-Dory Reply with quote

jack keifer wrote:
Porsche is to Ranger as VW is to C-Dory? What the heck! After owning various Porsches since 1990 and having C-Dorys for 18 years, I can assure you that Porsche’s and C-Dorys have lots in common. Durability, reliability, excellent performance for the dollar, fuel economy (think 30 mpg at 80 mph) with our current P-car are all assets that belong to both of them. That said, I can assure you the best seat in each of them is at the “helm”. ...

Yes, but you're much more likely to modify the wiring or drill a new hole in the dash on your classic VW than on your Porsche. Similar thing can be said about a Ranger vs. C-dory.

The other thing that can be said is that C-Dorys have been pretty much unchanged for about 20 years. A 30 year-old C-Dory is not uncommon. The boats have proven their design, build quality, and reliability. The diesel line of Ranger Tugs only have been around for about half the time of the C-dory line. The O/B versions are only a couple of years old. Who knows if they will hold up over the long term like C-Dorys have shown they can.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question I have on these new outboard Rangers, unlike the diesel ones there doesn't seem to be anywhere to to mount a dinghy?
They no longer show them with bimini tops? Just sunshades?
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just "built" an R23 on the Ranger website with just some of the options I have on my CD 25 $147,790

Ridiculous. For that money I could get a really nice used Nordic Tug 32 or a mid-2000s Monk 36. So much more proven boats with more space, comfort, range etc.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Localboy..... AMEN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: