Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A half way decent old fashion marine compass, even if not boxed, is also an essential. It makes it a lot easier to maintain a straight course, either in the fog or (for me) even if it is clear.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Celestial nav doesn't really require a paper chart, you can just use plotting sheets
. Err .....what about land masses and reefs? It isn't just what your position is, but where other objects are.

As one who has crossed oceans with only celestial navigation--I love GPS! (and chart plotters). At 6 knots, a fix can be plotted before the vessel has moved very far...

GPS can be lost by many more reasons than warfare. Spoofing of GPS is well established. The jamming is also well know. There are many reasons that all electronics can be rendered in-operable on a small boat. You can always go to hand bearings (I keep a hand bearing compass on board), and soundings (although I no longer carry my lead line). (Assuming you can see land, and the bottom is not too keep...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....after years of non use we just sold our sextant, maybe a bit to soon?
A paper chart with the land mass and shore objects will always be useful in an emergency a hand bearing compass (I like the hockey puck type) or I like horizontal sextant angles off adjacent shore objects, dividers and a nautical rule, if you can see land you won't be lost without electronics. These take up almost no space on the boat and give me a feeling of always being prepared. They are having a lot of trouble in Europe with jammers used by people on shore that don't want their employers seeing them hanging out at the beach instead of driving their routes. These are having an affect on marine AIS in heavily trafficked areas. I am curious about what will happen to autonomous cars with the occasional GPS glitches we already have, imagine an LA freeway with a few seconds glitch that dosen't affect our boats.....

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although GNSS (GPS) is used in autonomous land vehicle navigation, it is not precise enough for city traffic or even highways--3 meters is a long way on a 2 lane highway with steep shoulders. There are other systems, including on board, differential local GPS, encrypted GPS, LIDAR, inertial and other systems, so there is a lot of redundancy. 5G will be a factor in cities, when it becomes available.

One of the reasons I purchased Sat Nav (Transit) when it first come out in1982 even though it was "out of my price range"--was that I realized that there are a lot of days, where even one good celestial may not be possible. I was fortunate that a friend of mine was a vice president of Magnavox, and he sold me his MX 4102, at his cost, and then got another one a few months later. Often low lying reefs and atolls are just not visible by eye or on Radar especially at night (and the reason for a lot of groundings before GPS and good charting).
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Fiji in the 70's nobody ever tried to thred the needle between all the reefs and islands, we always took the long way around with celestial navigation, now people think they can pass through 1/2 mile gaps even at night and more boats than ever are going on the reefs. (Over 300 reported in Latitude 38 a few years ago, sounds crazy). OK, more boats are out cruising now....but would there be without GPS chartplotters? It doesn't require any great seamanship or navigation skills to cruise in the modern era, hence so many more boats on the rocks.
I do love my tablet and chartplotter, and keeping a safe distance off in sketchy charted areas is still a residual habit. We are often "anchored on land" in Mexico and rocks can be up to 1/2 mile off the chartplotter position, more on our old original c-map.
Am I now an old curmudgeon, maybe so....
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Print your own. You can print out just the areas you want, with just the layers you want. I recently cleaned house and threw out all my topo maps and nautical maps.

I do a lot of hiking and have eagerly embraced the abundance of electronic maps now available. Caltopo and an iPhone with the Gaia app are game changers for hikers. Being an old-school navigator I don't feel comfortable venturing forth w/o a paper map and compass so I always print out paper copies to take with me. I'll do the same with nautical maps when I start venturing forth in my [restoration in progress] C-Dory.

Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I am never giving up my backup charts for the west coast. I am reminded here to order some basic Florida charts as we are hoping to be there next year. I'm sure there will be chart books and chart printers in the future.
flrockytop

Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there talk a couple of years ago about building a new LORAN type land based system?

Roger

Roger Rockwell
Pensacola, Fl
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flrockytop wrote:
Wasn't there talk a couple of years ago about building a new LORAN type land based system?

Roger

That was e-Loran, and was shelved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: