The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

CD19 Angler suitable for day cruising with 4 people
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug n

City/Region: Fort St John
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Sharon L II
Photos: Sharon L II
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject: CD19 Angler suitable for day cruising with 4 people Reply with quote

Hello there. I'm looking at the 19 angler to be used mainly for day cruising with two couples. Sight seeing and occasional fishing on inland lakes in northern British Columbia. Very doubtful it would ever be used for coastal cruising. I like the angler in that there is no bulkhead at the back of the cabin and we can all talk and see each other while under way and at rest. Looking at Ari and the cooler/seats in the cockpit, this looks do-able. A camper-back would be used to make this all one big room. One concern is whether it would be a good idea to be underway with approximately 300 lb passenger weight at the back of the cockpit. Does this boat seem like a reasonable option? I like the mid-teens cruising speed, economy, and build quality. We don't really need the cruising amenities of the 22 cruiser. I'm finding it quite hard to find a boat that doesn't need to be doing 18 - 20 knots or so to get on plane. I was on Peter and Judy's 22 (thanks again for letting me ask a bunch of questions) in Grace Harbour this summer and quite impressed with the quality of the boat. I am definitely looking at used boats and quite open to suggestions. My boating experience is mainly small trawlers and a couple of lake type runabouts. Currently own a 19 foot displacement hull cabin cruiser I built for local lakes and I'm partners with my brother on a trawler in Campbell River.
Doug
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 19 should work fine--but one should try and keep weight out of the stern on all of the boats....put in seating further forward, and it would be a good solution.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
island andy

City/Region: rochester hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,
Of course I agree with everything Bob has said.
We have a 22 cruiser and use it for day trips in southern Georgian Bay with, often, 5 or 6 people aboard. People tend to move about and assigned seating is inconsistent with happy passengers....... I have found trim tabs and a Permatrim on the motor to be especially helpful with large and mobile loads.
Like you, I value planing at modest speeds and the 22 does very well with that.
Andy

Doug n

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you for your replies. My brother is going to look at one for me in a few hours and I wanted to confirm that it looks like it will work for what I want to do. I'll let you know how it goes. Might take a few days. This seems to be happening quickly but the decision making process has been going on for quite some time with the main difficulty being 'what is it I really want in a boat'. The angler looks like it will work. One thing that really helps is I feel that if I do purchase a c-dory and then find in a year or two my needs change, I can sell it and not lose my shirt. Being retired I have a limited amount of resources and this seems like a prudent way to go. I have seen a few people go through several c-dory models until they get the right one...
Thanks, Doug
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Doug. Just to avoid confusion, if you are looking at a C-Dory 19, it is only a 19, yes a 19. There is only one model, it is a 19. The Angler and also the Cruiser models are in the 22 foot version. You are correct in that there is no aft bulkhead on the 19, but in the Angler (and also the Cruiser), on the 22 there is a solid aft cabin bulkhead.

In both of the 16 foot C-Dorys, (there is an Angler and Cruiser version), but both of them are open cabin styles.

Then there is the C-Dory Classic, an early 80's version, that does not have the extra cabin space of the Cruiser, so it is missing the Galley and second seat on port side and the table. The cockpit is larger on the Angler, and more the same size as on the Classic. The transom is set up for only a single outboard and the bottom of the hull is flat.

Currently there is a nice Classic for sale in the Seattle area for a very good price.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Unable to transport a photo in Windows 10.

Doug n

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harvey. I'm really interested in the lack of cabin bulkhead at this point. Appreciate your input.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug: I had a 19 (check out my photo album). You mentioned Ari (Aurelia?). His boat was amazing and the mods Greg did were second to none. What a boat!! BUT imho, I'd steer you towards the 22. The 22 is the bread and butter of C Dory and the Brats love them.

You also mentioned that the boat's goal was for 2 couples. I'd rather have the 22 for 2 couples. More space to spread out in, a galley and a little dinette.

Another thing: It's hard to find a 19 (unless you're putting in a new factory order. And if that's the case then I'd definitely order a 22 because of the resale value).

Cheers.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug n wrote:
Thanks Harvey. I'm really interested in the lack of cabin bulkhead at this point. Appreciate your input.

I guess you could get an older "Classic" and take out that aft cabin bulkhead. Then a canvas camperback would give you a big aft room there. Probably find a Classic for less $$$ than a 19.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know your budget but if you can find one that fits it the 22 would be more comfortable for two couples.
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the 22 Angler would be better without the rear bulkhead, just have a drop canvas, and agree that would be a better option than the 19 for a four person dayboat. But I'm a warm water boater!
Doug n

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate everyone's input on this. Yes, I have definitely thought of a 22. I had been on the look-out for 22 cruiser for several years actually until I realistically looked at what I want a boat for. I had built a 19' displacement hulled cabin cruiser and launched it a few years ago. It has sink/stove/portapotty/berth etc but in a small scale. The idea was to use it for cruising wherever possible. Since I launched it, none of the above amenities have even been used once. Wasn't planned that way but it is what it is. Wasn't due to the size of the boat or it's arrangements but more due to the time we would make available to go boating. The boat has been used for day cruises on local lakes with my wife and/or a few friends. Occasionally take friends fishing. Most of the time it is just with my wife. It is ok for day cruises but would definitely prefer the cabin to be open to the cockpit for better conversation when we have friends aboard and have the feeling of an open boat but still be able to enclose everything with canvas . Current boat has a bulkhead/door. Looking for more speed as well on occasion. I don't think that our boating will change much, being used more as a lake run-about but having some good weather protection which is important as we live in northern british Columbia and want to extend the season as much as possible. The size of my current boat seems to be ok and that is pushing me towards the 19. At this point I would like to try the 19 but could always go larger in the future. I have come across a 09 19 angler with everything I would want in it (new camper back especially) in very good condition for a quite reasonable price. It is at a price that I think it could be easily sold in the future to go bigger if necessary.
I should mention that we're not missing out when it comes to cruising as we go for 2-3 weeks every summer in the desolation sound/broughtons on a boat that my brother and I own. I also have no intention of parting with the boat I built so we can still go for extended cruises locally, if the opportunities do develop. Can't have too many boats.
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a similar thing a couple years ago. I was soliciting feedback on a 12 foot Hyde drift boat from a fly fishing forum. I spelled out my use case which was 99% of time fishing a lake near my house with 1 extra passenger. These guys jumped all over me how I would hate the 12 foot form factor and regret my decision. They all just thought of themselves - who mostly run big western rivers.

So I ignored them and bought the used boat in Idaho - love it.
https://youtu.be/UheuPIxIdPc

I have 13 years with my 19' C-Dory. I do think it can handle 4 people, but you will shuffle around a lot. I like 3 onboard

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW here is my CD-19 with 4 adults on board. I have a 90hp Etec. A little overlooked seat is in V-berth in the cut out looking aft.

Doug n

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I expect to have 2 normally but on occasion may have company. The friends that we boat with, we've known for at least 30 years and we tend to talk a lot, hence the open layout. I'll know by the middle of next week if I have a new boat or not but expecting it to go through ok. Biggest problem will be waiting 6 months to get it out on the local lakes. Water will be quite hard around here very soon. Doug
curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug

Did you pick up the 19? I, too, am thinking a 19 may be the best option for us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: