The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lake Chelan: Updates for 2019-2020
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Lake Chelan: Updates for 2019-2020 Reply with quote

Lake Chelan updates for 2019-2020

Just wondering if anyone has been on the lake (Chelan) in the last 5 years? That was the most recent entry I could find regarding anything about the lake.

I'm considering going up yet this fall, or next summer for sure, and looking for updated info, charting options and recent experiences.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,
No first hand experience, but just last Friday I was talking to Derek the owner of San Juan Canvas Co. and he and his wife just got back from a trip to Lake Chelan and said they had a terrific time. They took their 20' something or other boat. Gave it such glowing reviews that I want to consider making the trip ourselves. Said the bakery at the top of the lake was still a great destination.
Are you thinking of a trip?
- Steve
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: some info Reply with quote

Dock Permit at https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5212293
CC type site at: https//www.lakechelan.com/play/boating-water/
[b]Boat Launch info at
https://www.chelanpud.org/parks-and-recreation/fishing-and-boating
Way nice marina at https://cityofchelan.us/departments/parks-recreation/marina/
Google Search results at https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&rlz=1C1JZAP_enUS823US825&sxsrf=ACYBGNR_Y4oHry-WkyHxyXgITbBYEtgbrA%3A1569184186709&ei=utmHXf_oKoHb-gT1wa7gBQ&q=Lake+Chelan+boat+launch&oq=Lake+Chelan+boat+launch&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0..8129...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.AK_PzNQdhIs&ved=0ahUKEwj_raTQouXkAhWBrZ4KHfWgC1wQ4dUDCAs
One of many Search hits on this site at http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=14223&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=a95351ea5adfba19180fee9421a884a2
Please take me, I'll be good and pick up after myself!!!
Bob Jarrard
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the interest and for the links. Some of them have really good info. A couple have old info and some disconnected phone numbers (Stehekin) and Lake Chelan Boat Company. But there was tons of good info there. I will be doing more research in the morning, but it is a great start.

It has been a bunch of years since I was on the lake, and a bunch more since I was on the lake on my own vessel, (canoe), and before that I did the length of the lake in an inflatable Zodiac. I have always wanted to go back and do it in my own "real" boat some where along the line.

Maybe now,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: do I get a postcard Reply with quote

Harvey,
Enjoy and be sure to post some pics!!! Bob
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: do I get a postcard Reply with quote

bobjarrard wrote:
Harvey,
Enjoy and be sure to post some pics!!! Bob

Bob, Lake Chelan is a beautiful spot. 55 miles long, deep -- 1700 ft max depth, and steep walls. I have heard it described as a bit crack in the rock, steep walls, high cliffs, and big mountains. It also can have fierce winds, superb sunrises and sunsets, and hot days and cold winters. Not much for anchorages, but if the lake winds are quiet, it is a gorgeous cruise into a whole different world -- life in a national park where there are no roads in, no state roads, and less than 100 people there year around, (Stehekin). It is like living on an Island, that isn't, and like living back when there were party lines (not political) and neighbors that were friends, and community who cared.

Make the trip.

I'm not so good at getting new photos into my albums but Look for Andy's post: Log of the Osprey to Alaska:
http://osprey-alaska.org/
The last entry page is a gallery of photos that I did when traveling with him in the Broughtons. More fog than Chelan, but some decent scenery.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

How to again ?I tried the search button to no avail for putting in pictures I went to my pictures and tried adding photos it didn't do anything ??
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cruised there 3 years ago so early in the spring that the lodge in Stehikin wasn't officially open. They put me up for the night anyway and even made me a sandwich. I used the Lake Chelan State Park boat launch. There were a couple of fishing boats and plenty of parking. Pictures:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2436&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, thanks for your link, and good pix. I remember you wrote about that trip and I looked back then too. I am trying to confirm if there is fuel up at the Stehekin dock yet, or if it is available year around and what it might be. I don't think it is a very common boating place, other than summer, hot days, blue skies and that is mostly "downlake" below the Narrows, due to the fairly consistent "downlake blow".

Still waiting on some call backs and some further calls.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thing is that the climate is different at each of the lake. At the south end it is desert and the north end is sub alpine forest.

When I was in Stehekin many years ago, there was no cell service and only one telephone which used a micro wave link to cross the Cascades.
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious what charting is av available for Lake Chelan. I have looked at OsmAnd+, Navionics, and the Navionics HotLakes Plus. The later is the only one that has charting available. AND that is only from the "Narrows" down to Chelan. From just at the top of the Narrows, it is just a blue space. AquaMaps does have some bathymetrics, but only 100 foot intervals. Not a lot of help when you only anchor in 25 feet or less, but then again, I know enough about the lake to not expect much in the way of anchoring.

Would really be interested in any charting that offers more.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the "Gold Package" nav system that came with my dinky little Lowrance HDS 5 "fish finder." I think it is Navionics. Sand bars on the Snake River, yes. Slot canyons at Lake Powell, yes. Shoals in the Bunsbys, yes. Mudflats in Willapa Bay, yes. The number and orientation of finger piers at Stehiken, yes. It is spooky good (so far). Years ago I worked at Captain's Nautical Supplies in Seattle and I know that if I had a full set of paper charts for everywhere that I have been on my CD 16 it wouldn't leave enough room on board for me.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Thanks for that, Glad you had good chart info. There are places where my Garmin is that good but I may need to be there for it to zero in on the location and get the detail. Sometimes I have to remind it where I am before it will focus in out of the world map mode.

I have gotten pretty spoiled using both the Garmin and the RayMarine, and if they don't agree, I get very nervous and really careful. Looks like the AquaMap will work with the RayMarine for the lower half.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Up lake Reply with quote

Harvey, what did you end up using when you went to Stehekin? I don’t remember what you run on your tablet, but For general campground navigation and shoreline/land data I found my onX hunting maps to be excellent. The charts on board “Miss Maria” have the same line I saw on Sleepy C where the earth ends past 25 mile creek campground. (Still didn’t see any dragons or sea monsters though)

Andrea and I snuck out for an overnight run. We were dinking around and exploring slowly and only made it up to corral creek campground, but OnX around Chelan, Stehekin, and all of sawtooth ridge are very accurate for land navigation. No depth charts or water hazards of course, but as an added bonus when you leave the boat you know who owns the land you are standing on and where every trail goes.

Just a heads up for anyone going that way in the future: safety harbor campground is closed and the dock has also been completely removed. anchoring there would be very tight and potentially hazardous (an awkward scope with rock cliffs and deep water). Corral creek has some shelter but even a light breeze from the south and morning thermals from the mountains made for a bit of breakfast chop until the sun stabilized temps. (Near freezing lows, highs in 50’s) Here, like much of the Rockies or the sierras, cold air sweeps down the mountains at night and warm air rises up in the day. The sunrise and sunset transitions can do peculiar things when the Slopes spill into a wide open space! Once the sun was up over sawtooth ridge the waters calmed again. Now if I can just figure out where to host pictures, i’ll Post a few
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After spending one rough night at Safety Harbor there I laugh at the name.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: