Sunstream Floatlift

View previous topic :: View next topic  
colvosview

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-heeto
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Sunstream Floatlift Reply with quote

I have an opportunity to acquire a used Sunstream hydraulic lift. I like the idea of it, but the way the boat support system is currently configured doesn't look like it will do a very good job supporting my 1987 22 Angler. Does anyone in the C-Brat community have any experience with these lifts? They are manufactured in Kent, so I thought the factory might be knowledgeable about how to set them up for a C-Dory, but the person I've been emailing with is not.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used that specific lift. But I do have a 4 post lift, which has a 10' x 14' Aluminum cradle with two bunks on it. (actually 2 true dimensional 2x10's, salt water treaded, set on edge on each side of the lift. -- I have configured the bunks to hold a 30' deep V express cruiser, a Grady White Adventurer, a C Dory 22, C Dory 25, C Dory Tom Cat 255, and the Caracal Cat. Currently the bunks are set up to give good support to both the Cat and the C Dory 25 with out change.

Bunks should be able to be altered fairly easily. The early 22's had a flat bottom, (perhaps a little rocker), and the bunks should be set to give support from the Mid area to just before the transom. You may need to change the actual boards, and the attachment points--but that is relatively easy on any lift cradle.

Do you have any photos of the cradle and how the bunks are set currently?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colvosview

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently the two bunks are ~4 feet apart, but set at an angle to cradle a V hull. It doesn't look like the current mounting system will allow them to go flat to support Cheeto, but I think they are probably about the right length to support from the cabin area to just before the transom. I'll try to get by for some photos tomorrow. I think part of my problem is that I am just not well versed in trailer hardware.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that you may need to change the bunk board mounts angle--that is not unusual. Boats dead rise (angle of the bottom at the transom, and changes thru the hull length) varies from flat (your boat) to 26* (deep v offshore boat.)

The builder of the lift should be able to tell you what they have to accommodate your boat. For example they do pontoon boats, which are basically flat bottomed under the tubes. They probably do flats or Jon boats.
colvosview

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have some drawings showing the hull design. Couldn't find those anymore, but I scoured the C-Brats albums for photos which showed it well, and sent those to the support people at the manufacturer this morning. I'm off now to make some measurements and sketches of the current lift setup, and see what ideas I can come up with.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sure see wanting to get your boat up out of the water. Up at Lake Chelan I saw a C-Dory up on a lift there. (No idea of the owner or boat name.) It was up on a 4 poster type lift, but as they let the water out of the lake it was really evident that that boat could go no where until next spring when the "tide" comes back in. (Lake Chelan has an annual rise and fall of somewhere between 6 to 12 feet. An annual "tide" as it were.)

The lifts I have seen around on tidal waters are generally built on some sort of a float system to allow for the tidal rise and fall, which can range up to 12 or 15 feet. You want to be sure that your lift will be functional around the clock and over the year.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey. We have tides in Florida--just not as much range as in the PNW. The 4 post lifts are limited in tidal range, probably to about 6 feet. When I leave the are and a storm surge is predicted I am safe with the boat 10 feet out of the water. The floating lifts are not limited.
colvosview

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1abrLx7TVJNxvWijoBz4fFpx7tazxI4_t/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u55nykG8yYLUdE5NZCygjeN9cceiLz2V/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qHQ30eKzkMXFgtKzwQRUu4BJQv5pOZNU/view?usp=sharing

I'm encouraged. It looks like the holes (circled in blue) through the diagonal member are provided to pivot the bunk to vertical. There also appears to be provision (circled in red on a the second photo) to mount a centering roller, thus making this more or less equivalent to the support system on my trailer. The rubber extrusion on the bunks is rounded, but it looks like it will compress enough to spread the load. Opinions?

Last edited by colvosview on Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
colvosview

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the closest I can come to deleting a superfluous follow up message!
colvosview

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now the owner of a slightly used Sunstream Floatlift. Here is a photo of my classic sitting on the bunks, which are set up for a V-bottom boat. The bunks fit nicely between the splines or ribs on the bottom of the boat, but there is not a whole lot of contact area between the bottom and the bunks. Should I take the time in the spring to try to get the bunks into a more vertical position so that the load is spread over a slightly larger area, or is the current setup OK?
[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P94m0V0nHxLM4VV-EzT-zwBbgi1odxwz/view[/img]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P94m0V0nHxLM4VV-EzT-zwBbgi1odxwz/view
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly look OK for now--but I would make the bunks as close to straight up and down as possible. You might have to drill 4 new holes..but worth it.
colvosview

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob. That was my inclination, but glad to have the confirmation. The boat moving to the house next week, so I'll have opportunity soon.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be tempted to put true 2 x 6 "Planks" covered with a bunk material, on top of the aluminum extrusion. the half round shape is made to "mold" to any deep v hull. The flat will give better support to the Classic C Dory (flat bottom).

I would put the support just inside of the bottom strakes, as you have the current bunks.

I think you have a great solution to the issue of keeping the boat out of the water in a slip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: