The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Stuck Windows on 25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milderd1910

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: delfin
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Stuck Windows on 25 Reply with quote

My windows are stuck. Very hard to open or close. I have cleaned the tracks and still no luck. The fuzzy window stuff is causing the windows to stick. I have tried every thing, pressure washing and vasaline and still no luck. I was thinking about removing the fuzzy stuff and using Teflon strips for my windows. It might not be water tight, but I will be able to open my windows without a screw driver to pry them open.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not use "Vasaline". it will attract dirt, and may degrade the "fuzzy" stuff. The material to use is the "liquid Rollers" by Mary Kate. There are any number of other dry silicone sprays.

At this point, I would soak the strips with dawn and perhaps a ZEP degreaser to get the Vasaline out and free up any dirt. Pressure washing can be used, but it must be used judiciously to avoid damage to the track etc. I just use the hose with a fine nozzle on it. Also be sure that all of the drains are working--they have a small metal piece riveted over the outside. You may need to work a piece of trimmer "string" thru them.

I carry a very small pry bar to get "stuck" windows started. Pry between the frame and the metal of the handle, very gently. I would dry and push it forward first--you might even use some light taps with a rubber mallet, transmitting the light blow with round punch. Just very gently in any of these. You don't want to damage the glass, frame or the handle. One of the folks on our recent Tennessee river cruise had this problem. The small pry bar solved it in about 30 seconds.

After the window is back, then get in there with a toothbrush, and soap (Dawn) and warm water. Get the fuzzy stuff clean. It can be replaced--but in most boats it can be rehabbed.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bob sums it up quite nicely. It is very frustrating to both my wife and I with this same issue. This same problem occurs after we wash our boat and let it air dry with the side windows in the fully closed and locked position. We then cannot open the side windows in the cabin without having to fully pull on the latch with our fingers and with all our might. Very frustrating indeed! When the window finally gives in and opens, we nearly fall to the ground with the release of the opposing force. We have found that if we open the window from the tab lock on the window frame just a bit from the fully locked position after washing the boat and then let it air dry, (slightly ajar open) we can open the windows easily afterward once the boat is dry, without having to pull the latch with this extreme effort.
Thanks Dr. Bob for the advise of the Silicone spray. Good advice. Gary.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get these window grippers at Harbor Freight and other places. Easy to yank open a window without the possibility of chipping an edge. One of my sliding windows broke, but my window tracks were full of grit that I took both windows out. It requires fiddling around with a brown snap-in track top and bottom. I then used carpet cleaner of the fuzzy strips and a shop vac on the track. When dry, I poured Dupont Dry Lubricant (Teflon) on the fuzzy strip.

The tedious part was putting the plastic strips back in. I kept trying until each piece popped back into place, but every time it did I didn't know what I had done right and then had to fiddle around for 5 minutes with the next piece.

The suction handle can also be helpful if you need to grab onto the side of the boat when in the dinghy.

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-cup-suction-lifter-46134.html

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The suction handle can also be helpful if you need to grab onto the side of the boat when in the dinghy.

I wonder how the harbor freight for $8 compare with the "SeaSucker" handles for $99? For $8 I'll have to try one of those. Another place where the suction handles are very handy is on top of the motor as a grip when coming aboard via the swim step.

To clarify, never pry against the glass, only the metal handle, and it does not take much force to move the widow with a pry bar. Be sure and push the "latch" in before you attempt to move the window--with either by hand, with a handle or pry bar.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed at the end of this season, as I as preparing to cover the boat that the windows were getting a bit harder to move, so with Bob’s reminder today, I got out the liquid roller & now smooth as can be. One more thing I won’t have to attend to in the spring .

Jay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: