The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Systems Drawings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alasgun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Systems Drawings Reply with quote

Being a Machinist for over 30 years makes you kind of Geeky I guess. I don't know if anyone else cares for, or needs diagrams of the various systems in your C-Dory. I sure would like to get some. I talked to the Factory and got an Electrical schematic for our new 25 Cruiser. Apparently no diagram exist for the fresh water and waste systems. Any one out there got the remedy?
Mike on Huda Thunkit
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Systems Drawings Reply with quote

Yeah, it would really be nice to have SOME information on all the systems. Maybe you could scan the electrial schematic to a PDF and put it in the Documents forum...I would also like a schematic on the fresh water system.

Alasgun wrote:
Being a Machinist for over 30 years makes you kind of Geeky I guess. I don't know if anyone else cares for, or needs diagrams of the various systems in your C-Dory. I sure would like to get some. I talked to the Factory and got an Electrical schematic for our new 25 Cruiser. Apparently no diagram exist for the fresh water and waste systems. Any one out there got the remedy?
Mike on Huda Thunkit

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike! Not geeky at all...but something that would help all of us to sit-n-study in our recliners when we have something that might not be just right and want to track it down and repair it. You may check with Les at E.Q. I am not sure, if he has them, but I know for sure he likes a great amount of detail... who knows.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there is no substitute for making one's own schematics. It can be a great learning tool and can pay big dividends when something goes wrong.

When we got the MOOSE I was even a bigger electrical idiot than I am now. The wiring was pretty basic, but nothing would panic me more than looking at the jumble of wires at the electrical panel and not knowing where they all went. So one fairly warm December day I crawled in and drew out a schematic. Then I came in the house and drew it up on an Excel spreadsheet using the drawing toolbar. As I added equipment, I revised the drawing. In fact, I'd revise the drawing first and then used it to guide the installation. It was a big investment in time, but it helped me learn how to use Excel for drawing, it helped me understand direct current better, and has been used several times when something has gone wrong out on the water. Periodically, I'd even send the drawing to Les Lampman for his esteemed advice; he helped me a lot, for which I'm forever greatful.

Now, if someone can tell me how to post an Excel spreadsheet, either in this forum or my album, I'd be glad to do it. I think most of you would find it interesting. In fact, I have three: the original diagram, the way it is now, and a separate electronics wiring diagram.

Al

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose, just go to the forum index (Forums), go down to The Library and then to Documents. Click on New Topic, and post a description to tell us all what the document is. Then down at the bottom of the message window, it says "Add an Attachment," which lets you navigate to your spreadsheet or other document on your hard drive. Attach the document and send the message and you are done! Pretty straightforward really. I'll be watching for your upload!
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll be! You learn something new everyday! Thanks for the instructions.

Now, if only the real wiring were as neat and orderly as the drawing; it's a holy mess!

Al
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't agree more with Moose (Al) more about needing to understand the principles of boat wiring.

The paradox is that if you really do, the diagram is unnecessary. However, it would nontheless be a useful tool in the learning process.

Another problem is that there will be variations within boat models. Not all Cd-22's, for instnace, will be the same over the years. And even within a year, there may well be variations and changes. Optional equipment installed at the factory will add another dimension to trying to keep track of everything.

Add to this the many changes made by the installer/dealer or previous owner(s), and the diagram becomes only a general guide to what SHOULD have been done.

I once asked for a diagram of the Fleetwood Limited motorhome we have (the underside of the dash looks like a B-52) , and was told by Fleetwood that they didn't have one, that the components they used varied from day to day based on supplies, and the resulting wiring couldn't possibly be standardized.

Our C-Dorys may well not as bad as RV's, but you get the idea. Mass produced automobiles, on the other hand, have to have so much planning to allow assembly line production that a diagram preceeds everything and must pretty much be followed. Good for them.

It is also interesting that many journalists who write for boating magazines partially judge the overall quality of the boat by the "cleanliness" and organizaton of the dash and other wiring. Sloppy does not impress!

No wonder several members of this site have pulled out much of the wiring behind the helm station and totally reorganized the Great Spaghetti Casserole of Copper Wires that lies therein. Dave (oldgrowth) is the latest example. 3rdByte (Mark) did this on his previous boat (2nd Byte), and it well have been the salvation to sanity that allowed him to survive one of the Alaskan winters.

The best outcome of this thrust, however, would be to get the manufacturer to put in larger fused buss bars with both already dedicated / labeled circuits and many open ones that could be convenientlhy penciled in as the boat was subsequently modified. Not a bad idea at all, actually!!!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem that exists for me with Al's diagrams is that you have to have Excell and therefore Word to successfully download them. Maybe Bill (DaNerd) can convert them into an alternate format for us with Mac's (?) Joe.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
One problem that exists for me with Al's diagrams is that you have to have Excell...

Just converted them to PDF.

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bill!

Excellent job, Al!

This forum / site never ceases to amaze!

What a talented bunch of dudes!

No wonder we can find solutions to just about anything.

Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: