The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Flat Fender (punctured) Repair Possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Flat Fender (punctured) Repair Possible? Reply with quote

Flat Fender (punctured) Repair Possible?

I am wondering if this is even feasible, to repair a punctured TaylorMade fender. It is a Taylor Made, True Color, Storm Gard white fender that managed to get itself punctured by a dock nail. It is on a bit of an angle, and was a 16p nail, pointy end sticking out and down on the dock.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try putting one of those gummy worms (from a motorcycle tire repair kit) in the hole, then put a dab of 5200 over that. But, I have some doubts that it will hold... and you sure don't want to find out it didn't when the wind is pushing your boat against the dock.

On the bright side, that fender may have saved you some scratches in your gelcoat!

May be time for a new fender.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a simple nail hole, a tire repair plug may work. There "plastic welding kits". Harbor Freight has them from $17 to $75. The more expensive ones which use hot air would be most likely to work--but you can buy a new fender for a lot less!

There is also the option to fill with expanding foam in a can--such as "great stuff".

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty here. Taylor fenders are guaranteed for life. Take it to any store that sells them and you can get a replacement.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Patty here. Taylor fenders are guaranteed for life. Take it to any store that sells them and you can get a replacement.

That is better advice than mine! Wink
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are guaranteed against factory defects--You will be lucky if you get a new one after a puncture.
Quote:
Taylor Made Vinyl Fender & Vinyl Buoy Limited Warranty
“Lifetime” Limited Warranty applies to: Super GardTM, Hull Gard®, Big BTM and Survivor® fenders only.
One Year Limited Warranty applies to: Tuff EndTM Fenders and Buoys, Fender CushionsTM, Low Freeboard Fenders, PWC Fenders, and Transom Fenders.
All warranted replacements must meet this simple criteria: The fender has split or burst from normal use and damage is not the result of a knife cut or puncture from a sharp object.
Taylor Made Products warrants its vinyl fenders to be free of defects in workmanship and materials under normal use and service for which the product is intended. Vinyl fenders are intended to be attached to a boat or a dock by means of a rope or multiple ropes tied through the eyelets. The use of any type of metal fasteners to secure a fender is not recommended as it increases the possibility of tearing the vinyl and potential damage to the boat hull. The use of any metal fasteners voids the fender warranty. This warranty is limited to product failure as a result of air loss from SPLITTING or BURSTING. Excluded from this warranty are fenders that have become useless from cuts or punctures, or disfigured from continued wear or use, or products that have been exposed to solvents that degrade vinyl. Over-inflation of any fender voids any warranty claim. Obligation under this warranty is limited to repair, replacement or credit of the defective fender at our discretion. Taylor Made Products reserves the right to request return of the product for inspection. No return merchandise will be accepted without prior authorization. Taylor Made Products shall not be liable for indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damage or penalties and does not assume liability of purchaser or others for injury to persons or property. This warranty is in lieu of all other warranties, express or implied.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty and Jim, That was my first thought too. BUT, it is a puncture. So...
Looks like I will be looking for a tire plug, and maybe apply it with some 5200.
Bob, Thanks for the tip. I will be checking with Harbor Freight, or my MC shop.

I have used the plastic welders, hot air and plastic rods. That works great IF you have a rod that is the same as the material you are welding. (Polypro, co-polymer, Poly ethyl etc.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a glue called E6000 on a small puncture one one of my large fenders with very good results. clean and rough out the area prior to applying a glob of that stuff, let it cure at least 48 hrs, more is better, before re inflating. I used masking tape to make the patch circular, that glue is clear so the repair is not very noticable.
https://www.amazon.com/E6000-230010-Craft-Adhesive-Ounces/dp/B007TSYNG8/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1TN4YD17MQYLT&keywords=e6000+glue&qid=1571414944&sprefix=E6000%2Caps%2C1023&sr=8-4
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way that glue is great for all kinds of stuff, very strong, good to have aboard.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alainP wrote:
By the way that glue is great for all kinds of stuff, very strong, good to have aboard.

AlainP, Thanks for that. I will try to find it. It might also work on my inflatable floor. I tried the glue for it an it peeled right off. I think it was too old. had never opened the tube, but when I did it was not liquid - ee.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: