colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Bob. Sounds like a nice set up with the "board". Currently I have an aftermarket back up camera and the GPS. However, anything on the dash of the pickup does somewhat block a bit of vision. I have been very fortunate with my tires, and I think it helps to do frequent routine checks on them when traveling. None the less, there have been a few occasions in the past where I lost tire pressure while traveling, but always caught it before completely flat or overheated. That's the nice thing about dual axle as well. Still thinking about the systems, just not yet ready to buy. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stop every two hours--do a walk around, IR thermometer on the hubs, tires and disc brakes on all vehicles and trailers. None of that caught these two flats we had on the trip. Old tires vs some road hazard. I also had a set of "Bad" tires--all four developed side wall probelms--and either blew out or leaked. These were
Goodyear Wrangler. less than 4 years old. I went with heavy duty commercial truck tires on the Yukon--vs "SUV" tires.

I can tell you that getting the TPMS setup is far cheaper than trying to buy one tire in the middle of "nowhere"..Texas...If you have a steer tire go out--the cost of a tire may be the least of the expenses.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too worried about steer tires, lol. My pickup has an internal system that allows me to read the tire pressures with the push of a button. Cool But I do trailer a lot, and realize any additional safety equipment can be a benefit. Just have to weigh worth vs. cost. As of now, I also travel with two spare trailer tires. Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also travel with two spare trailer tires. Colby

Yeah, but you are young enough to change the tires...I am not--the last blow out on the 22, cost me a trip to the ER, and then bilateral hernia repairs...leaned my lesson!
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets harder every year... Sad But then there is always my AAA membership. Smile
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But then there is always my AAA membership
. We had two interactions with AAA on our last trip to California. The first one was at Benson AZ--We were towing Marie's Lincoln MKX, We called AAA, and they sent a good ole boy in a pickup, The battery had run down, and the FOB would not open the door, so we could unlatch the hood, and charge it. We had an emergency key, but it was very hard to turn; impossible by hand for me. He didn't want anything to do with opening the vehicle, and left. "Call a locksmith in Tuscon". (A second phone call to Lincoln Concierge service, got a young man who said, try using a vise grip to turn the key counter clock wise--it worked.)

The second AAA encounter was for the rapidly deflating steer tire on the RV. The gal came in a very small van--no compressor, a bottle jack, and lug wrench. When she put the spare on, she damaged the valve stem, and said "nothing more I can do, call a wrecker". (We got a trucker tire service thru FMCA who put us on the road in about an hour by putting a new valve stem on the tire on the spot). So twice AAA failed us...Probably the part of the country we were in. (Second was between Las Cruces and El Paso. Because we were still in New Mexico--they sent someone from Las Cruces, 25 miles away, instead of someone from Anthony Texas, 2 miles away--and where the truck tire change folks were from...I realize that it depends on who has the contract, and the costs involved. Also when we had the 22 single axle trailer fail, our boat insurance picked up the whole tab, including the cost of the upgraded, tandem axle trailer, minus deductible of $500. So your boat insurance may be a better provider if you have a trailer problem. (check your policy). Ours was thru progressive, (Via International Marine Insurance group)--and they called us every 30 minutes to be sure we were safe and kept us advised of progress--finding a boat trailer shop which was still open at 6 PM on a Friday afternoon--and paying overtime for the swap and setup of the new trailer...
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt it depends on the party contracted with.
corsaut

City/Region: NW Ohio
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: tpms recommendations Reply with quote

We want to purchase a tpms for our 22 ft C dory trailer (4 wheels). Must be salt water proof as we go to the Gulf in winter.

Additionally we tow a travel trailer in the summer (NOT at same time as we tow the C Dory). Would like to use the same screen and somehow link it to both the boat and the trailer.

Idiot proof set up is a plus for me.

Appreciate any insights and comments. Thanks

K Corsaut
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have dunked the sensors in fresh water, I will take them off, and put on the caps for salt water. The ones Have are user replaceable batteries, and they come with a bunch of extra O rings. Batteries last several years. (Probably depends on how much you use the units.)

I switch my extra set between my two boat trailers, and Marie's Lincoln MKX (which we tow behind the RV. Although the MKX ha its own internal sensors, we like to monitor the tire pressure and temps in the RV--since we once had an RV on a towed vehicle. It may not be obvious at first.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an add-on TPMS sensor kit. It is good idea to check the tightness on regular intervals
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, thanks all, you have me thinking!
1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: