The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

I might need to buy a trailer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven Dore

City/Region: Ocean Marine - Portsmouth, VA
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Orca
Photos: Orca
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: I might need to buy a trailer Reply with quote

My 22 C Dory has been kept in dry storage since I bought it in 2004. The dry storage facility has been sold to a new owner, and they are converting it into a repair facility for small government vessels. I will need to move my boat by 3/31/20.

I am looking at other dry storage facilities, but they are further away from my home, so I am also considering buying a trailer and keeping the boat at the house.

Any recommendations on a trailer for a 22?
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok not a solution to your problem but . You are named Dore and own a Dore. Ok thats cool. I have a friend named Dore who owns a dory also. But your both named steve.....and you live on different coast. Just interesting.
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a CD22 out in Virginia and had to buy a new trailer to transport her back to IL where I live. the trailer that came with the boat was "OK" but had only hydraulic brakes for stoppinng. I did not want to go over the appalacias towing a 5,000 lb boat with a trailer that was unchecked.

I decided to buy a trailer in VA and it was good decision. ihave thr following thoughts about my experience with a trailer for a CD22 Cruiser that may help you:

1. Regardless of your expected journeys trailering your craft, get the best trailer possible. You'll never have to worry about your trailer again (as long as you keep her maintained)
2. Get electronic over hydraulic brakes (EOH). This will stop the trailer and boat on their own. This will save your truck brakes and give you piece of mind that is priceless.
3. Make sure you install the proper sensing unit on your truck so that the truck brakes and trailer brakes "talk" to each other during the braking process. A great source for the sensors is etrailer.com. The sensors are in two parts: one in the cab that allows you to control the brake settings on the trailer and a second electronic unit that mounts on the trailer that allows your trailer and truck to talk to each other. You will need to go to your tow vehicle dealer to have the braking unit in the cab activated (they know what to do). It's about a one hour shop time charge for this service..
4. Get a top notch trailer and make sure that the company you buy it from will install the boat on the trailer properly while it is on land (so adjustments can be made to both boat and trailer). I bought a Load Rite #24T6100TSA1 and she fits the CD22 Cruiser perfectly. Here's a link:http://www.loadrite.com/trailers/load-rite-galvanized-tandem-axle-sa-bunk/

good luck

D

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
Blue Rose

City/Region: Montgomery
State or Province: MN
Vessel Name: Blue Rose
Photos: Blue Rose
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of choices: roller vs. bunks, single vs tandem, aluminum vs. steel etc, etc.... but I think that choosing a trailer that works for you depends on how you plan to use it.

If the boat ramp is not far from your house and you just need the trailer to hold the boat between uses or until you find another dry-storage place, then Craigslist for $500-$1000 could get you a trailer that may be repairable or in"good enough" shape to get you by.

If you are going to use the trailer for long distance travel, then I would be considering new as the better way to go. Depending on the options, could be in $4000-$6000 range.
Jim

Steven Dore

City/Region: Ocean Marine - Portsmouth, VA
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Orca
Photos: Orca
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. It will help me make a decision on purchasing a trailer.

Steve
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I trailer my 22 up to 16,000 miles a year, so I do depend on my trailer. Even if you are just moving your boat a short distance a few times a year, you probably want something decent. After all, a bad trailer can break down over a few miles just as easy as over many miles. And, you want something that is going to help protect that $40,000 boat. I'd recommend a twin axle bunk trailer. Electric brakes, either Electric over Hydraulic or straight electric. You have a lot more control over trailer braking then than the basic surge hydraulic. If you are doing a lot of salt water launching, then you probably want Stainless Disc brakes, which will need hydraulic actuation, so Electric over Hydraulic would be best.
That being said, if you are just looking to use the trailer for short distance a few times a year, you can probably save some money by going to single axle with surge brakes. I'd still stay with bunk. Either way, if you get some old worn out cheap trailer, you may have an outing ruined by it breaking down half way to the lake. Just my two cents. Colby
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that in the flat lands of the mid Atlantic region surge brakes work fine. Even when going through the "mountains" of western PA, western MD, western VA, and W. VA.

In VA, trailers with brakes are required to get an annual inspection.

BTW, mine are stainless too.
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Daves Trailer Sales in Glen Bernie, Maryland. I have bought 2 Load Rite tandem axle bunk trailers from them. Both were the same weight rating, like about 8100 pounds. Pricing was about $ 4200 dollars.
They have been great to work with, being I was here on the west coast and they are on the east coast. They are nice aluminum frame trailers.

Commander 30 Sportfish (sold)
Olympic 26 XL (sold)
Glassply 19 (sold)
Olympic 23 (sold)
Bayliner 38 Motoryacht (sold)
Olympic 20 (sold)
Fiberform 16 (sold)
Olympic 18 (sold)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good information so far.

If you are thinking you will be storing your boat on the trailer full time, I would highly recommend having a bunk trailer, with 4 bunks. You want the most support you can get, and the bunks will spread that out over the greatest area of your hull. Rollers can, over time, make wavy indentations, especially if there are not frequent and closely placed rollers.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

san juanderer wrote:
Google Daves Trailer Sales in Glen Bernie, Maryland. I have bought 2 Load Rite tandem axle bunk trailers from them. Both were the same weight rating, like about 8100 pounds. Pricing was about $ 4200 dollars.
They have been great to work with, being I was here on the west coast and they are on the east coast. They are nice aluminum frame trailers.

I got a trailer for a RIB I used to have at Daves. Was simple and easy to get.
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVES trailer sales is the exact shop where I bought my trailer that I discussed above.

Small world.

Paid $5500 and a was treated to a level of customer service that was unbelievable.[/u][/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: