The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Boiling crab in the cockpit - what do you use?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boiled in seawater (or sea-salted water if I cook them away from saltwater). When it's done cooking, pour in enough seawater to double what's in the pot. That cools the crab enough to pull some of the saltwater back in to the shell. If you just pull them out of the boiling saltwater, the meat can sort of stick to the shell and is dry. Cooling them in saltwater gives them just the right juicy flavor.

I always think it's funny when people say that they don't want the "fishy" smell in the boat (or the house). My wife's friend always makes her husband use the outside grill to keep the "stink" of cooking salmon outside. Having grown up in a family with native heritage, I'm reminded of my uncle. He was a gillnetter and drove a Lincoln Continental because the trunk was big enough to hold an night's catch and deliver it to the processor. Needless to say that his car smelled "fishy." We would get in and every time he would say "Ahhhh, smells like money."

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lew 25

City/Region: Billings
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAT CLAW
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clean, steam, and eat. Use a double boiler with 1 inch of sea H2O and bring pot to a good boil. Add 3 7" crabs and cook for 12 minutes ,chill in ice water and eat with hot butter.Repeat as many times as necessary.This year we didn't run out of crab. Tried to freeze some with very poor results. Need to eat them fresh. That is why Mikes crabs look so appetizing . Lew
Lew 25

City/Region: Billings
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: CAT CLAW
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I'll try cooling then in salt water next year. Lew
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I my experience, if crab are under-cooked, the meat sticks inside the shell, and the crab are hard to eat. If over-cooked, the meat becomes stringy and dry. (I personally would rather eat under-cooked than over-cooked.)

I cook both whole and cleaned crab under water with sea water (or salted water). I try to cool and rinse with sea water too, but I do find that when cooking cleaned crab, if I rinse with sea water, the meat can taste a bit salty; that's one reason I always try, if possible, to cook them whole. (easier to clean that way too).
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew 25 wrote:
Tried to freeze some with very poor results. Need to eat them fresh.

The only Dungeness that I couldn't eat was the neighbor's frozen crab. She froze it in milk, claiming that it kept better. In that case, frozen without milk must be really bad. Maybe it could be used for crab bait, but what's the point?

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We freeze picked crab all the time and use it all winter. Is it as good as fresh? Of course not, but pretty damned good. We use it "in something".....that is, as crab cakes, or crab pasta, or crab green salad, and it is just fine.

What I do is pack about 1 pound picked crab into a 1 pt Mason jar. I pack it tightly using a blunt stick. As I pack it I add a very small bit of salt water from time to time as I go to eliminate any air pockets. I leave about 1/2" at the top. Then freeze it solid. Once frozen, take it out of the freezer and add enough salt water to fill that half inch. Then back in the freezer and you're done. The 1/2 of water and tight packing sort of seals it against freezer burn.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I always think it's funny when people say that they don't want the "fishy" smell in the boat (or the house). My wife's friend always makes her husband use the outside grill to keep the "stink" of cooking salmon outside. Having grown up in a family with native heritage, I'm reminded of my uncle. He was a gillnetter and drove a Lincoln Continental because the trunk was big enough to hold an night's catch and deliver it to the processor. Needless to say that his car smelled "fishy." We would get in and every time he would say "Ahhhh, smells like money."

Mark

Mark, That is funny. I grew up working on a dairy. The smell (source was cow pooh) was always referred to as fertilizer and the the smell, was "dairy dollars".

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In snohomish, Harvey, we just called it the derriere.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnowTexan wrote:
In snohomish, Harvey, we just called it the derriere.

Laughing Thumbs Up Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat here, don't know if Patty saw this post.

We started cooking them whole then cleaning them last year after we were at Chris and Janet Erickson's dock on Center Island and I watched how Chris was doing it.

Old way - whack then with a crab whacker, take the back off, break them in half, removed gills and guts, then cook the cleaned halves.

New way - cook them whole, let them cool. Take the backs off, removed gills and guts, swish them in salt water to clean, and ice them down.

New way is much faster and easier for me, and the meat is in better shape. Do they taste better? Maybe, maybe not, I love crab either way!

TyBoo wrote:
All my crabbing is close to home so I have never considered cooking them on board.

Patty - when did you guys decide to start cooking them whole? Pat was always adamant about cleaning them first. To tell you the truth I think he enjoyed pithing the little buggers.

The reason I'm asking is because the other day I got one of those Crack'n Crab Cleaners to try when crabbing starts back up down here and was wondering if you notice the difference in flavor cooked whole vs. cleaned. I don't eat the guts like the Finns do but the old timers say they make the crab meat taste better when cooked whole. I guess we will find out.

The local marine store has a video of the crab cleaner gizmo playing all the time and they finally hooked me. It sure looks like it makes the cleaning easy and less messy, even though it only takes about six seconds to clean a whole cooked one the regular way.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: