The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Does anyone carry a sea anchor aboard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Major Tom

City/Region: Saratoga Springs
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Major Tom
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Does anyone carry a sea anchor aboard? Reply with quote

I've been reading up on sea anchors, and was thinking it might be a good thing to have on board, just in case. If both engines are dead and seas are rising, we can't really heave-to like a sailboat, so I can see the benefit of the sea anchor. And it may allow me to focus on getting the engine going, or calling for assistance. However, I'm concerned about the force on the forward cleats, or whether it's a good idea at all for a small boat like the CD22. Does anyone have any experience with them? And if so, did you replace the cleat backing plates, and what size did you replace them with?

Thanks!

1987 Checkmate Enticer (sold)
1986 Sea Nymph (sold)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if you are going far offshore or crossing an ocean, a "sea anchor" might be of help. I have never used one. I have carried a Jordon Series drogue, and never used it either; even in 40'+ seas and hurricane force winds when crossing the N. Atlantic in a 62 foot Ketch. I don't see the use for most C Dory type of excisions.

Look at the Para Tech 9' product if you feel a need for a "Sea Anchor".

There are many factors involved with use of a "Sea Anchor". John Voss did a voyage around the World in Tilikum a repurposed dugout canoe.

Here is a comprehensive e article on Sea Anchors and drogues.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carried one when solo off the west coast of Vancouver Island. I didn't have a kicker and the anchor would keep me off of the rocks longer. The "large" was probably larger than necessary for a CD 16 (and for some reason it is cheaper).

I rigged it with a trip line so that it pulled from the bow but could be tripped and retrieved from the cockpit. It is not my standard onboard equipment.

Mark

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FVQHAU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do carry a sea anchor on Midnight Flyer, but have never used it. I purchased it earlier when I had a Searay 268 Sundancer. I may have used it once to slow down my drift while fishing one time. Not sure why I keep it with such limited stowage space. I do boat occasionally on Lake Michigan, and that's probably the only time I could use it in an emergency. I guess I don't see any real use for it on local lakes and rivers. Maybe time to take it off the boat and just take it when I'm on the Great Lakes or an Ocean trip like the San Juans. Colby
Major Tom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I don't go very far offshore, I have a kicker (which I test before leaving the dock) and I pick my days, so as Bob suggests, it might be overkill for me. Hmmmm...I'll have to cogitate on this... space is limited, for sure! If I do get one, I think it would be wise to replace the backing plates with more substantial ones... I've read that the forces exerted are astronomical.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I don't go very far offshore, I have a kicker (which I test before leaving the dock) and I pick my days, so as Bob suggests, it might be overkill for me. Hmmmm...I'll have to cogitate on this... space is limited, for sure! If I do get one, I think it would be wise to replace the backing plates with more substantial ones... I've read that the forces exerted are astronomical.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cross the Strait of Juan de Fuca several times a year. 25 miles, with 20 of that is non protected, beam sea water with prevailing wind and waves from the west. I have been out there when I would not want to have lost an engine, and be wallowing in those seas. (Not uncommon to get into 3-4 foot waves.) However, I am pretty particular about when I do my crossing, and rarely get out there in anything over 2 foot.

I have thought about carrying some sort of a sea anchor, or drogue, just in case, to keep the bow into the wind and waves if needed. Space is an issue, and since most of the time I am single handing, deployment and retrieval would also need to be considered.

I carry 75 feet of chain with a 13# Rocna "spade" anchor. My thought is that if it ever came to needing something, I would consider dropping about 20-25 feet of chain and the Rocna to provide some drag in the water. I know (from dropping the anchor and backing to "wash" the anchor and chain that there is a fair amount of drag accomplished. in a 20 plus knot wind I am pretty sure that drag would hold the bow into the wind. In a wind against current there would even be an increased affect. Sorry, can't say I have tried this out there yet.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, your anchor idea off the bow might work. Twice in a big sailboat we were caught out in storms that we had no choice but to ride out as we were surfing off the top of the breakers under bare poles. This was before the Jordan drogue was invented. Off the stern to slow us down and give us stearage we put out an anchor with some chain and several fenders on a long line and the effect was dramatic, we slowed down and regained control, it was a mess to pull in days later because we had used several lines. I think something bulky attached to the anchor and chain might work perfect.

Thanks for the idea it was on my mind about a sea anchor for our boat as we spend time in open water but I don't have any extra storage for something I may never need.

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that with a CD-22 a drogue of 4-6' diameter would be plenty big enough to be sufficient. You could hook it to the anchor rode, so you'd only need to find storage space for the drogue itself. A 1/4" line would work for a trip line.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking at the info for this it seems like a 4 foot was the right size for a 22 CD given the predictable weather circumstances for the PNW. IIRR I was looking at winds 30 - 50+ knots, with waves from 5 to 10 feet, and the drogue size range was 3 - 5 feet. Your 4 - 6 would be very close.

My primary use (at least thinking of it) would be Juan de Fuca. It's 25 miles across where I cross, and it takes me a little over 2 hours. If I was really lucky and unlucky, it would take the CG about 30 - 45 min to get to me. That would be a long time, for me, short time for them.

I have just become very picky about my crossing weather.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: