View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Maestro Fan/Light Placement Reply with quote

Hi,
I can't decide where to mount the maestro fan/light combo. I've been thinking of putting it in the starboard aft corner over the stove but I've also considered forward up under that wooden shelf that's mounted up on the cabin top. I'm hesitant with mounting if forward as that'll put the red light shining towards my face if we use it while running. Ideally I'd like to have it behind me. If we like it I had planned on getting another for the cabin.

I had planned to get one or two for the v-berth also, do you put them down by the anchor locker?

Thoughts?

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Maestro Fan/Light Placement Reply with quote

Snider wrote:
Hi,
I can't decide where to mount the maestro fan/light combo. I've been thinking of putting it in the starboard aft corner over the stove but I've also considered forward up under that wooden shelf that's mounted up on the cabin top. I'm hesitant with mounting if forward as that'll put the red light shining towards my face if we use it while running. Ideally I'd like to have it behind me. If we like it I had planned on getting another for the cabin.

I had planned to get one or two for the v-berth also, do you put them down by the anchor locker?

Thoughts?

If you put it behind you you may see the light as a reflection in the helm window. Might be just as annoying.

Putting the fan by the anchor locker would be ok for airflow, but not much use of the light (unless you sleep head to the bow). We find that we usually want air blowing into the berth from the main cabin, not air blowing out. We mount a fan in the berth entry for ventilation.

You'll probably have to run a 12VDC wire up to the front along the ceiling of the v-berth from the main panel behind the helm. A couple of wires with some screw in nylon clamps will do the job. Just look at how most of the other wiring the boat is installed. If you want you could go through the compartments under the berth to get a wire to the front. I'd just run it along the ceiling though.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We love the Maestro fan light combo. Of course you don't have to use the light!
We have two: one for each side of the bunk in the wider end---installed in the ceiling, and the controls are so that we can reach them from outside the bunk as well as inside. We almost have the fans running on low when sleeping. If hot, or cold, we have on high. We use the lights for reading or finding things among our clothes on the side shelves of the 25, or the hammocks on the 22. "The LED" blue light on the control is very bright--and we put a layer of black electrical tape over it--and it is still fairly bright.

I would think the light is bright for the cabin. We have two 3 speed "Bora" fans in the front of the cabin--they can blow back on the helm seat and navigator, or down on the windshield to help with condensation--no lights on these.

For our red lights, we use small LED, Garden lights, and are pointed down at 45* in both front and back of cabins. we also have several of the cabin overhead lights which have red as well as white LED's--and there is a "bright" and "dim" setting for those lights.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Fans Reply with quote

I finally got my fans and chart light mounted. I put both fans on the Port side, one in the cabin under the shelf up near the cabin top, the other in the v-berth at the widest end. Found that the one in the v-berth's white light won't work, only the fan and red light come on, may need to send it back but theres already a white light up there anyway so I'll sleep on it.

Also got my chart light mounted on the forward side of the cabinet where the sink is located. Mounted the controller on the forward edge of the board the throttle is mounted to. Great idea Bob, thank you. Should be able to use it to view the instrument panel or the galley area on red on white. I'll probably add another fan/light in the v-berth and maybe a portable fan for the versatility. In the past I've slept on the floor on a sleeping pad with my wife on the settee and the kids in the V, it's worked well. I'm thinking we should switch though, adults in the V and kids separate lol.

I'll get a pic of the V this weekend.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: