View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Northern Michigan Inland Waterway Reply with quote

Any Brats familiar with this 45-mile route from Pickerel Lake to Huron? Even has several locks. Looks interesting.

We might want to cruise there before heading to Georgian Bay.

SouthLake

City/Region: Celina
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2008
Photos: Get~Aweigh
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the summer of 2001 we had a 22 ft Starcraft cuddy cabin and stayed on Mullet Lake. We went through Indian River across Burt Lake and started toward Crooked Lake but had to stop because the swing bridge was stuck. We went from Mullet to the Cheboygan River, through the lock and out into Lake Huron. We really enjoyed our time there. Very pretty, clean lakes and the food in some of the restaurants (e.g. almond crusted walleye) still makes me hungry. I would think Indian River would be a good place to launch and keep your truck and trailer. There used to be a couple of marinas there.

We liked this area so much we plan on making it our first trip next year when I retire.

www.GetAweigh.com
email: TheMarcums@GetAweigh.COM
sharonbolton

City/Region: Shepherd
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Katie-J
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last September we based ourselves in Indian River for a few days, to cruise the Michigan Inland Waterway. We explored from Cheboygan to Alanson. It’s a nice, easy-going adventure.

Impressions, from the east …

Cheboygan River to Lake Huron. Heavily developed river waterway (vacation and year-round homes, and commercial development).

Mullet Lake. It’s a lake, long and relatively narrow.

Indian River. Winds its way through marsh land. Modest development along the river – some marina services. Sometimes wild feel.

Burt Lake. Well, another lake. But it has a couple of arms or bays that add interest.

Crooked River. We liked this best. Nice, wild and remote feel at times, with some stretches of shoreside development. Very relaxing. Ended our trip in Alanson, before returning to Burt Lake and some perch fishing (actually, worm drowning), so we can’t claim to be end-to-enders.

Dick Bolton

El and Bill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks. Looks like we'll be heading that way next week.

Anyone else have thoughts or suggestions?
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill,

Have done this lots of times. I much prefer the fall, beautiful color and far less traffic. I go to the straits and/or St. Marys at least once every year in Sept and Oct. A couple of times the Straits area was just too rough so I drop down to the waterway. One fall I trailered to Aloha State Park and launched there. Pulled out and spent a night in an RV spot at the park (I was the only one there in 256 sites) and relaunched the nest day. That was before I put the wallas heater in and it was a cold night. During the summer the route (particularly near Indian River) is overwhelmed with the speedboat, bikini and squirt gun crowd. Not my style but you two should fit right in. There is a NOAA flip chart for the route and it is also on some electronic chips. The lock at Cheboygan to Lake Huron is 9 feet, then thru Cheboygan Harbor, past the new cutter Mackinac to Lake Huron. Then just keep going to Mackinac Bridge, Mackinac Island, Les Cheneaux, DeTour, Sault Ste. Marie, then drop back down for the North Channel. Do it all by boat! By the time you get back to Rainy all the bugs will have miraculously disappeared.
Alanson has a hand operated swing bridge and some public docks that angle out into the river. Can launch at Burt or Aloha State Park (there is a fee, not sure what it is as I get the annual) also at Indian River also at the far west end too. Mullet is nine miles long and oriented to get some wind. Hackamatac (sp?) restaurant just downstream from Mullet is good stop. I have seen huge yachts anchored in the Cheboygan River. All through the waterway it is strange to see big boats on the small rivers, but they all have access to the Great Lakes and then the world. Just upstream from the Cheboygan Lock are restaurants and motels with dock. Two marinas at Cheboygan harbor. Public launch on south side of Cheboygan river as well. Parts of Crooked River are no speed limit, keep your ears open.

If you are still in the vicinity come mid Sept, our paths may cross.

Mark

Not For Hire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS,
As you trailer back across the UP you should visit Fayette by boat, even if you just use the launch a mile away, spend a couple of nights there.

Mark
helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We started our trip down Lake Michigan to Chicago from Indian River Marina last year. I think the trip down the Inland waterway from Indian River to Cheboygan was interesting, and Cheboygan itself is a nice stop.
Eric

Finished the Great Loop July 7, 2011
El and Bill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More details on Fayette, please. Looks like an interesting old town. Is there a ramp at the state park
Larry K

City/Region: Port Huron, MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Odyssey
Photos: The Odyssey
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El & Bill

Check out our trip on the inland waterway - http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=MI-Inland-Watereay&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

We put in at Crooked Lake and spent the day traveling to Cheboygan. Stoped in Indian River for lunch at a restaurant right on the river (don't remember the name) then on to Cheboygan for the night. Reversed the trip the next day.

Google Inland "Waterways michigan" for all the information you need

If you get a chance check out the Hack-Ma-Tack Inn on the Cheboygan.

Start at either end or the middle, you will not regret the trip

Larry K

Larry K C-Brat #150
The Odyssey
C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El & Bill

I can't add much to what already has been posted but you may find this site helpful. There is great interactive link to the Inland Waterway and other boating interests in Michigan

http://www.fishweb.com/recreation/boating/boating.html

Best regards,

Not For Hire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill,

Fayette is a lot of boater's favorite spot, but it is enough out of the way that it doesn't get a lot of traffic. There is a tie up dock, very well protected, nice walking, beautiful natural scenery, interesting ghost town. No water, no electricity, nice outhouses short walk from dock. There are also restrooms up the hill at the park station and the park station sells ice cream. There is a park lot for walk around visitors and a campground but again not real busy. I suggest you launch at Escanaba harbor and boat the 20 - 25 miles to Fayette so you feel so swell to come into the little protected harbor. The launch at the park could do a C-Dory but it is made for smaller boats. There is also a launch at Garden village but I don't know anything about it. Escanaba has a nice Michigan Municipal marina for $24 per night. Good walking and history too. In 1903 there were 105 saloons in Escanaba.

At Fayette walk the beach/ campground trail, past the launch to just outside the park and get whitefish at Sherry's Lighthouse Bar and Restaurant. Okay place if it rains also, to tour the buildings.

Tip - At fayette if the small dock is open tie up there.

Mark
little wing

City/Region: Oakland
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Toots
Photos: Toots
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting and fun trip. We just finished 3 days on the waterway. It would have been probably 2 more but the weather turned unfavorable, so home we headed.

From Cheboygan, you have the Cheboygan River, Mullett Lake, Indian River, Burt Lake, Crooked River and Crooked Lake. We spent the first night on the "shallows", a large sand bar on the southwest side of Mullett Lake. The second night we anchored in the southeast end of Pickerel Lake, which connects to Crooked Lake by another small shallow creek.

The rivers are long, curvy, and quite fascinating, but I imagine during the height of the season, they are annoyingly busy with boat traffic. Mullett and Burt Lakes are big. Crooked and Pickerel and smaller and shallower.

To start this trip, we launched at Cheboygan County Marina and spent the first night in Duncan Bay, just east of the harbor on Lake Huron. Winds were favorable, so the next morning we traveled the 19 miles, primarily in the fog, to the Mackinac Bridge. We loitered around the bridge waiting for the fog to burn off. As it did, after quite a bit of oggling around, we continued about 5 miles past the bridge in Lake Michigan and anchored off shore of the Headlands dark sky observatory. The next day we had no fog and the wind was still light. We poked about the bridge and Mackinaw City then returned for the second night on Duncan Bay. Next morning was onto the waterway.

Pics http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Inland-Waterway-and-the-straights&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little wing, thanks for reviving this thread. I've boated 3 of the great lakes(Ontario, Erie and Huron) but Michigan has always intrigued me and is on my bucket list.

We usually spend a few days in Mackinaw on our way west. Love the city and island. Also spent a night in Manistique last trip. Beautiful place on the north shore. Thanks for posting the pics of your trip. One of the bridge in the fog was amazing!

I have toured the USCGC Mackinaw twice 2017 and again Aug. 2019. Looking good with its new paint! They started work on it shortly after I was there in June 2017. Glad they were able to come up with the funding. My first tour was with a serviceman named Chuck who had served aboard the cutter. He lamented funding was a big problem. Personally he wanted it repainted white which it had been for most of its years in service.

Again thanks for posting,

Regards,

Rob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: