The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Want to replace microwave with electric convection oven

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genianell

City/Region: Eugene
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Want to replace microwave with electric convection oven Reply with quote

My 1992 Carver 33 aft cabin came with electric burners and a microwave oven underneath. I rarely (if ever) use a microwave, and would much rather have a convection oven in its place. Any suggestions?
Easyvictor.14

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Easy Victor
Photos: Easy Victor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an Oster toaster oven with a broiler. It’s 1/3 the weight of a small microwave and gives you lots of cooking options.
I dropped the regulator for my Magma grill in the water at lake Powell on our first night there...out comes the Oster and generator and I broiled up a couple filets. Dinner saved. Also, you can bake, toast, broil or just reheat. And, they’re like $40 at Walmart.

1981 T Craft 26 center console
1981 Silverton 34
1979 Chapparal 187
Many, many other small aluminum, wood and fiberglass toys!!!
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to replace microwave with electric convection oven Reply with quote

Genianell wrote:
My 1992 Carver 33 aft cabin came with electric burners and a microwave oven underneath. I rarely (if ever) use a microwave, and would much rather have a convection oven in its place. Any suggestions?

Have you considered the power requirements of a convection oven and how you will meet them?

Might not be too much of a problem on Shore Power, but are you planning on using one at anchor?

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1993 Carver 33 aft cabin is a lot different than a C Dory. I had an earlier version of the Carver 32 aft cabin which was one of 4 diesel powered which were built. Mine had a single 150 hp Volvo and a 7 KW Westerbeke generator. I suspect that your boat has 350 or 454 blocks, with gas generator from 5 to 7 KW, so that you can support a convection oven.

My RV has a High Pointe combination convection/microwave, which draws either 1200 or 1500 watts (not positive about the power requirement)--this probably would fit the dimensions of your microwave.

We also have a combination micro convection at our home (GE Profile over the range) and A Sharpe combo on the Holiday Rambler we recently sold). We also have a stacked convection/regular at home--and the convection is far better in this unit--which is 220 volts, and a lot higher amperage draw than the over the stove. It is great Oven. But my. wife rarely used the smaller convections. In both the RVs, we use a toaster over over the convection 80% of the time. The smaller convections just don't use a lot of power, and thus don't seem as good as the higher amperage draw.

You can get one of the counter top convection toaster ovens (basically a toaster over with a fan), for less than a built in. Also it probably will work better.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: