State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Hey Andy,
Leaving Sitka tomorrow to head up towards Elfin Cove. No plans to go into Glacier Bay, but with your and my timing, we may cross paths. I'll look for you. Take care, and continue to enjoy your travels. We are enjoying ours! Colby

Are you going up the outside?

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Jay. I think Tohatsu still makes the most powerheads in the world for outboard engines of which Honda and Mercury have used a lot of for their outboards. That being said, no one ever plans to have engine trouble on a vacation while in Canada or Alaska and so you may want to consider Suzuki over Tohatsu. I love Tohatsu as I have a 6 hp on a small fishing boat that runs like a champ and is mainly used in saltwater. Service when and where you need it in remote areas is also a consideration though as Andy points out.

I know you are looking at weight and fuel economy which are important and should be considered carefully because you will have these engines for a long time.

Have fun doing all the research. Take your time because you want to get it right the first time and have no regrets. As to Sportcraft, I have never heard anything negative about them. We go to them and are well pleased.

Gary.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
Andy, don't get me wrong, Honda and Yamaha are great motors, but I got scared for a moment and checked for authorized Suzuki motor repair and service as well up in the Inside Passage to lower Alaska. I found 6 authorized Suzuki service centers starting from Breakers Marine Ltd. in Port Alberni up to Juneau, Ak. There are also many more Suzuki service centers if you continue on further north. We love our Suzuki motors and want others to know that they also have the option to go with Suzuki if they are considering other brands beside Honda and Yamaha.

Thank you for the information though. Gary.

Gary, FYI, Port Alberni may be, (IS), on Vancouver Island, BUT it is on the West side, water wise, although looking at the map it looks to be near the center (East to west).

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a 2014 Tohatsu 50 on my old 16, great motor. But Jay, with a Tohatsu 60 you should be able to get it serviced at any Honda dealer. The Tohatsu 50 and smaller are Tohatsu-built, but the Tohatsu 60 and up (4-stroke models) are actually Hondas. There are several threads on C-Brats about this change that occurred around 2013 or so. Here's an article from the interwebs:
https://www.boatingmag.com/boats/honda-to-private-label-large-outboards-tohatsu/.

Personally, I'd go with the High Thrust version of the Tohatsu 60 for twins. That should definitely get you on plane if running just one (and I love having the high thrust version of the Merc 90 - they call it Command Thrust).

-Mike

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you going up the outside?

Hi Jay, No, going the inside this time. I did run into Richard Cook on Dream Cacher, in Petersburg, and we've shared the same coves and docks a few times. He's also in Sitka for a few days, although out on the hook tonight in one of the passes north of here. Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
I also had a 2014 Tohatsu 50 on my old 16, great motor. But Jay, with a Tohatsu 60 you should be able to get it serviced at any Honda dealer. The Tohatsu 50 and smaller are Tohatsu-built, but the Tohatsu 60 and up (4-stroke models) are actually Hondas. There are several threads on C-Brats about this change that occurred around 2013 or so. Here's an article from the interwebs:
https://www.boatingmag.com/boats/honda-to-private-label-large-outboards-tohatsu/.

Personally, I'd go with the High Thrust version of the Tohatsu 60 for twins. That should definitely get you on plane if running just one (and I love having the high thrust version of the Merc 90 - they call it Command Thrust).

-Mike

Mike, I wonder how that would work in Canada? Since I don't do my mechanical work, I would need to take it in to a repair/mechanic and I know if it was a USA Honda going into a Canada facility it would be met with a bunch of static. (Honda USA and Honda Canada being like Chevy and Ford sown here.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, good to see you moving again. had an issue with the map loading this morning, (Probably operator error, but kept me wondering for a while.)

Great to hear about the whales. That is a huge pod all in the same place.

Take care and stay safe.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy is now anchored in Fords Terror & loving the scenery & dealing with no see ums. It’s amazing being able to communicate directly with him & answer questions, while he’s there.

Jay
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pix and write up in the blog. Follow the links from the OP. I cannot seem to get the tablet to transfer them.

Thanks Andy and stay safe.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have been back a week and Andy has been working on the photo summary that I submitted to him for the last page of his blog. I know some have been following along as he traveled, and for some it has net been a regular thing. Here is the blog address:

http://osprey-alaska.org/

We spent a couple of weeks together in the Broughtons, and I got to do what I love to do, shoot photos of great scenery with great boats. Ahh, and they are on his last blog entry as a photo summary, so if you are interested in some of what we got to see, experience and enjoy take a peek at the photos here:

http://osprey-alaska.org/2019/09/19/a-small-gallery-of-harveys-photos/

Enjoy. Andy did a great job of organizing his trip and documenting. He is a great reporter, and an excellent buddy boat skipper.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photos Harvey!

Steve
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaSpray wrote:
Very nice photos Harvey!

Steve

Hey Steve, Thanks, It is fun for me so I love traveling with other boats, since they look better on the water than with mine at a dock. It's good to see you here on the site. Enjoy the fall season.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,
I just finished reading your blog and have to say, that was quite the trip. Really loved all the photos you and Harvey took too.

One of these days, post retirement, I hope to do the same.

Quick question, my boat has no radar. That's pretty much a "must have" for that trip, right? I suppose you could go without but you'd end up sitting, waiting out the fog, without it.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quick question, my boat has no radar. That's pretty much a "must have" for that trip, right? I suppose you could go without but you'd end up sitting, waiting out the fog, without it.

I also just did the Inside Passage this summer, some of the same area Andy did, and some different. I was on the water from May 24th until around the second week of July. I used my radar twice. Both times, I was already on the water when I hit the fog. Both times I probably could have gotten anchored safely in a cove before entering the fog. I have also used my radar on the Great Lakes and on the Columbia River. Is it necessary? I don't believe so. However, having radar, and knowing how and having the confidence to use it, does open up some more travel time that might not otherwise be available. Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $.02. (And I have not done the Alaska part so....) In the straits on the east side of Vancouver Island you get Fog in the mornings unless the wind is blowing. If it is then there is no fog, there are waves. If you have to wait until the fog is gone, then you have to accept that you are going to be dealing with waves. (You might have an hour between for and waves.) If you are OK to travel in the fog, you can have 5-6 hours of daylight before the waves start, so using the radar increases your travel time availability.

(Non of that excepts you from the fact that if you have radar and are not using it and something bad happens your liability will be increased by multiple factors.)

I would agree with Colby. I really only used the radar a few times, maybe 6 or 10, but it makes longer travel days possible, without dealing with the waves.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: