View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishstix2

City/Region: Cape Coral
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: PiraC
Photos: PiraC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Air conditioner ? Reply with quote

We are in the process of purchasing a 2006 Tomkat 255. The air conditioner has overheated recently due to an oil filled cooler or motor thingamajig. It was refilled but I fear due to age and lack of attention the thermostat among other things might be compromised. I can’t find a schematic on this to try and get a new thingamajig. Anyone have any experience with the care and repair of said item? And did or need I mention we are Tomkat Virgins?
Thanks for not laughing in public in regards to this post!
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the very least we will need to know the brand and model. is is a permanently installed, raw water cooled A/C or is is more like a room window unit or RV rooftop A/C?

David
Fishstix2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Air conditioner Reply with quote

It was a factory installed unit. Not raw water cooled. As explained to us this oil motor is the cooling agent. Kinda like antifreeze in the radiator? Not a window unit at all. Unit in cubby hole in port pontoon. I was hoping someone else with this year model might have run into issue.
We are three hours from boat but will try and get more info. I was hoping someone with this same year model might have run into this issue.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: ac Reply with quote

I would check the name, model, serial number .Then from there you can get better advice. I believe that the factory installed models where water cooled and maybe that's the problem running the AC without the boat being in the water?Check the Freon and clear the water lines out
The AC needs to cool down either through air Like an RV or window unit or water cooled like most marine AC units .

We just put on a Coleman 9200 BTU AC and it is wonderful This is what a lot of c-brats have on their boats takes up less space runs when boat is on lift or trailer and is less then $1000 installed
Good Luck

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only marine AC units I have seen were all raw water cooled. It is not cooling the motor--the refrigerant oil and air does that. The condenser coils need to be either air or water cooled. There usually is a raw water pump, under the step to the cabin door, which circulates that water--picked up, and discharged over the side. Even if oil were used, there would have to be a pump, and some method of discharging the heat.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have sort of gone round and round with this question. It seems not to be an RV or window A/C unit, so it is likely a below decks installed, raw water cooled, marine A/C unit. These have hermetically sealed motor/compressor modules and that may be what you are asking about. The "oil" you mention is probably freon, a gas/liquid that the compressor compresses, is liquified in the evaporator (the double tube heat exchanger that the raw water circulates around) and is vaporized in the evaporator (the finned unit that the blower blows air through) which cools the air.

With all due respect, your questions and your responses indicate to me a limited understanding of marine A/C systems. I would get the manufacturer's name- it should be easily visible on the unit, and find a local A/C service organization for this model and ask them to fix it.

I don't think you will have any luck trying to DIY.

David
Fishstix2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Air conditioner Reply with quote

Finally completed the sale and have books and such. Found out air is Mermaid Air 12000 BTu’s. It was actually installed just a few miles from our current home. Only problem is they are no longer in business. It looks like there might still be either main office or branch in Tampa Fl. Will call today as everything went down Friday afternoon. Now just trying to get boat transported over to other coast so she can be docked at her house! Er I mean our house!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me as if Mermaid is still in business, with plant located Ft Myers? Their products were well respected.
Fishstix2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Mermaid Air Reply with quote

Yes Mermaid does appear to be in business so that’s excellent news. Will keep all appraised of progress.
LaVitaEBella

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is required for an air conditioner to be check and clean atleast twice a year. Recently, we got a new inverter. I feel like air conditioning unit nowadays can only last for atleast 3 to 5years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: