journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We often anchor in places where it's muddy or there is a lot of kelp. I needed some way to hose down the rode as it came up.

I installed a washdown water pump and installed it in the back closet, under the bottom shelf. The output is run through a hose up to the cockpit coaming, with the input connected to the throughhull valve in the back of the cabin with a PVC garden hose coupling in the end. Wired it up with a switch.

When we're going to raise the anchor, I just attach 25' of garden hose with a sprayer nozzle to the hose in the cockpit, run it up along the cockpit and one of us can hose down the anchor and remove the seaweed as the windless pulls up the rode and anchor. When the anchor is up, Judy closes the nozzle and I turn off the pump, remove the hose and put everything out of sight.

The washdown pump Could be mounted on a board and wired to a connector, the input can be via a hose thrown overboard. This would give a portable rig that could be stored and brought out when needed.

The factory used to offer a washdown pump as an option on the 25s. We didn't get that option because I didn't know the amount of mud in which we'd anchor. Only my hindsight is 20-20.

Boris
sebastien

City/Region: philadelphia
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: kittiwake
Photos: Kittiwake
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Harvey from Sleepy-C.

I missed you comments about anchor and chain etc. by about a day.
(I stopped by Defender Marine for a big shop on my way back from Maine)

"Your choice to go with a 30 pound anchor is a bit overkill, IMHO. I applaud your choice to go up in size, however, you are adding considerable extra bow weight, requiring a stronger back or a bigger windlass, and extra backing on the ground tackle handling devices."

Just to clarify:
I purchased a 20lbs rocna vulcan not a 30lbs one.
I did only get 30ft of 1/4 g4 chain (24lbs) which is more than most people advised.

The question of putting out any rode at all or just chain most of the time (have way more chain) came up in my mind remembering anchoring our 18 ton steel ketch and seeing strictly chain when I was a kid. I was going to ask the crowd about that and ran out of time.

Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebastien, I believe the anchoring system you have set up will work perfectly, the nylon line you put out will act the same as the nylon snubbers that we used to use on our all chain rodes for its stretchy property's that reduce the chance of the chain catanary snatching out straight enough to impact the anchors set which can easily happen in strong wind gusts. 30 feet of chain should be enough to keep your rode from being abraded by any rocks on the bottom near the anchor.
Good luck and fair winds!

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG

Last edited by Micahbigsur@msn.com on Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebastien, I thought I saw 30 pound somewhere, but it might have been a typo or "eye"po, not sure. Either way, your 20# and 30 feet of chain should work well. The weight of the anchor will make up for the less weight of the chain, but should still hold well.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebastien, I love Defender, I'm glad I don't live anywhere near Defender, even on the other side of the country where I live it can be a financial train wreck!
sebastien

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reassurance everyone!

Yes going to defender in person was great!
-The smell and chandleries reminds me of my youth.
-The copious staff was engaged and wise.
-The prices are hard to beat.

Of course they don't quite have everything out that's on the website but it's not far from it.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’re coming along in good planning!

You might consider whether or not you REALLY need a dinghy and motor and the gas storage/handling complications they require on a 22.

You can anchor out without needing a dinghy. Many restaurants on the loops have docks they allow you to tie to if you eat a meal, and to stay overnight after dinner if you don’t seem to present a threat of some sort.

Or perhaps you have a dog like Daydream’s Baxter and must have a dinghy for your Baxter.

You might also consider trying out the first 1,000 miles and then pick up a used or new dinghy then if you find you guys want one. It’s not Eluethera, it’s the US or (at worst) Canada, which is not third-world even though boat gas is $6.80/gal and box wine is $30/gal.

Your anchor tackle is more than adequate; just pick a cheap protected marina for miserable weather and your ‘trip of a lifetime’ will have better memories for the $50 that the bad night costs.

Don’t over-complicate this. As others have already pointed out, you can have Amazon Prime deliver a boat part to your next marina in 1-2 days.

You will be in cell coverage 90% of the time (poor on the St L river between Montreal and Sorel if you do the Canada Triangle mini loop).

Many loopers don’t spend a week at anchor around a small town. 2 nights at most is average, then your engine will recharge your house battery (always switch to Both on the house switch when underway so the engine charges the house battery and the fridge stays happy).

I think your choice of cell phone service is very important on this adventure. We like Verizon because it seems to have more bars in remote boating areas than anyone else. Also, a $5/day per device per 24/h use option that is WAY cheaper than ‘international roaming’ when in Canada or Mexico or the Bahamas, and is easy to select when cruising.

Agree Defender is a great company, but they can scalp you on shipping. We find
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/
with free shipping often cheaper than West Marine (out of Rock Hill, SC, vs from Seattle).

Best on your planning and prep, and thanks for your mellow and appreciative responses to all those Brats who don’t know your needs and wants well enough to help you as much as we would like to!

Best,
John

captainRCC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
We and a few others have actually done the Great Loop in a C-Dory. Jonathan Arthur on his CD22 Salty is the all-time champ, I think he is currently on his fourth Loop, or perhaps he has recently finished it. We cruised the Loop over 8 months in our CD25 Cruiser. We started on April 1 and finished on November 13, 2017. I blogged every day, and you may find some useful information in our blog. The URL for the blog is below in our signature.

Looking at your questions, the only thing I would stress is that if you intend to anchor much at all, you really should get a windlass. You should have chain at a minumum equal to the length of your boat, I would suggest 25 feet, and more rode than you think you will need, 8 plait, spliced to your chain with a taper splice. The chandlery where you buy the rode and chain can do or sub out the splice. Make sure the rode is a size compatible with your windless. Most of the Great Loop is not very deep but some places are, and if you want a reasonable scope, you should have at least 100 feet of rode and 150 feet would be better. Trying to anchor for hundreds of nights with chain and rode on the bow pulled by hand would soon become VERY tiresome. Our choice of anchor for the Loop was a Rocna because it sets and holds well in nearly any kind of bottom, and it worked extremely well for us.

One other suggestion, the best plan for navigation is to use an iPad running Aqua Map. Mount it in a RAM mount, they are really the best. Play with Aqua Map a little in your home waters to see how it works before starting the Loop. Be sure to turn on Active Captain in the Aqua Map settings and download the AC data. We also had Skipper Bob guides, which are inexpensive and contain some useful information. We actually consulted both Active Captain and Skipper Bob every day as we planned for the following day to decide how far to go and where to stop.

You can PM us with any specific questions if you like, we will respond!

Aqua Map with USACE overlay is invaluable.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to cleaning mud off the chain. We ran into that yesterday. We normally just back Down and get the mud off anchor and chain near the anchor--with these just near the surface. But there was mud about 40 feet up the 50 foot chain...We carry a stiff brush which will attach on one of our Shurhold extendable boat hook shaft. Took the boat hook end off, put the brush on, extended to 6 feet and Marie stood on the bow and brushed off the mud as we brought up the chain a foot at a time.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: loop planning Reply with quote

Sebastien,

A C-Dory 23 crew recently completed the Loop and posted about it on the AGLCA site.

"Subject: L.T. goes Gold
Posted by: Dave Newkirk on 9/22/2019 at 11:48 PM
View/reply online Reply via email to: forum@greatloop.info Reply via email to: Dave Newkirk (daveinbreck@gmail.com)
Hey guys and girls! Remember me, L.T. Looper, the ‘cute’ little C-Dory with my yellow kayak buddy on my roof and my Captain’s bike on my transom? I crossed my wake today at Redd Hallow campground in Land Between the Lakes, Kentucky.

I really enjoyed sharing the waterways with you over the past nine months. I know you big boys were only teasing me about my size and you smaller ones were just swell as we gossiped about Captains and Admirals! I even got to know a cute little canoe a few days ago who’s paddling the length of the Mississippi. Although she got to sleep on the beach, I’m still saying that for once, I wasn’t the smallest on the dock, at least at Hoppies.
I tried my best to stay out of the way of those big freighter guys at Mobile, Jacksonville, Savannah, Charleston, Norfolk, Baltimore, New York, and of all places, Albany. I know there’re just doing their job but I’m sure glad they couldn’t follow me on the ICW. Same thing for those low slung tugs with their pants down near their props. I loved how they flexed their big muscles pushing all those barges up the Mississippi, but their turbulence sometimes made me want to throw up.
Don’t ask me about those power showoffs in Florida who tried to ruffle my skirts with too much ego and too few brains. They were more bully than boat, and certainly not Loopers, who take care of each other so well. I flipped them a bird sometimes, but I doubt they could see it, or me, through their smoked glass windows.

My Captain says that I’ve been even better than he expected, whatever that means. He’s going to reward me by taking me with him to Lake Powell in the spring and maybe to explore the Inside Passage in a year or two. Sometimes at night I hear him dreaming about going back to some of the places on the Loop we didn’t have enough time to explore. It’d sure be nice to see more of those pretty anchorages in Georgian Bay and the North Channel. Maybe I can talk him into the Rideau so I can flirt with those lock boys like I did on the Trent Severn. Should be easy, he can flirt with the lock girls.
It’s been a good voyage. We’ve overcome my plumbing issues and gas belching when Captain fills me up and his learning curve, as well as some others too embarrassing to admit. So much has gone so well that I can’t help thinking Someone is watching out for Captain and me. But I think Captain still blames me for that snake in his bed.
I kid Captain about how old fashioned he is and not doing any social media. I had to threaten him with stalling out to get to post this. But he has written a bunch of stories about our trip and posted them on LTLooper.org. They make me smile, maybe because I know him so well. But they might make you smile too.
L.T. Looper
An adventurous, proud, Gold Looping 23’ C-Dory Venture
And for the final time, named for my Captain’s kids, not ‘little’!
--- Attachment(s) ---
Yes_.jpg (262.5 KB)"

I still suggest that joining, and attending the spring Norfolk meeting, would be very informative and really cheap fun considering your total budget for your adventure. Drive down and stay at the Sheraton on site. It's a hoot!

At the least, consider contacting this crew (they are inviting it, after all). We have found that cruisers anywhere on the loop in similar boats are always willing to share best ideas and itineraries and suggestions, even with fellow boaters like us not 'doing the loop.' I'm not aware of this crew posting on C-Brats...but that just highlights me not being aware of much sometimes.

Best in your continued planning! Give them a call!
John
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about this "new?" book called "Looper's Companion Guide" By Captain John., on one of the news letters I get. I checked it out on Kindle, and if you have "unlimited" you can download and read the book for free.

I have skimmed parts of the book, and it is reasonably up to date, perhaps lacking in some details--but a good general planning guide. I would recommend it for one who is planning to do the loop. Also the author mentions C Dory's (25--forgetting that Salty had done the loop at least 3 times).
sebastien

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John I will definitely check out the blog you mention and will also plan on attending the Norfolk meeting in the spring.

We had a great maiden voyage on Pompano (soon to be Kittiwake) last weekend.
15 or so miles on the Delaware from the Philadelphia Boat Supply local boat ramp to a downtown Philadelphia marina (pier 3) and back. We spent the night on the boat and slept like angels. We practiced docking and trimming the boat over and over again… more of that in the spring.

now for preemptive engine maintenance / winterizing with the help of the great techs at Philadelphia boat supply (also a Honda outboard dealership and service center) and immediately after that it's time for more mods and creature comforts add-ons before it's too cold for epoxy work..
- deck pipe install (and chain locker drain)
- v-birth storage hatches / floor access hatch
- galley under-sink storage
-refrigerator / 100 watt solar system
- mosquito screen for small cabin and forward hatches
-mosquito screens for bimini (can’t rationalize spending $2,800 at King Marine for a full bimini enclosure right now…)
- dinghy
- kicker?
- BBQ
-DIY cockpit convertible bench.
…and so much more
sebastien

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob,
Yes the Captain John guide came highly recommended by Daydream too - I will certainly pick it up
in the dead of winter when things slow down a little..
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have been given some good advice, and perhaps a bit over the top advice.
I took a few minutes to read this thread front to back. The old saying one photo is worth 10,000 words:

This is a photo of Salty with Jonathon and Rosie on their fourth Great Loop.

Note they have a "Claw" anchor. Many of us would not say its the best anchor--but it works! There is no basket of hundreds of feet of 8 plait braid on the deck. There is no dinghy, no kicker; A 70 HP Yamaha (the first engine wore out).
They still navigate with an I pad, and have a older VHF radio. The boat is on its lines. Jonathon was talking with me about taking the boat to the Virgin Islands and noted that I had commented on their first voyage that the boat looked like it was out for a day cruise--it still looks that way! (They did buy an air conditioner because of the excessive heat this year)

We have had a moto for many years: "Just do it! Put it in gear and go."

It is easy to overthink this voyage. We see many of the Loopers who don't know to anchor, or even go thru. lock when they start out. Some have virtually no boating experience. I would challenge that 46 foot is average size of boat. AGLA gives the average size as 39.5 feet, and 51% are between 35 feet and 45 feet. suspect that over 60% are are less than 45 feet--but don't see that figure). Many boats smaller than the C Dory 22 have made the trip. I have met several people who started in a larger boat and down sized. We have had many loopers come aboard and comment on the lack of dealing with the issues which larger boats have.

As the "Loopers Companion Guide" states, this is one of the safest long voyages one can make. 99% of the time there is cell phone reception. 92% of the time you are in site of land. 99% of the time there will not be severe weather--and if there Is there are many places to ride it out safely.

We have met boats which never go to a marina--and there are probably a majority which always stop at a dock. There may be some stretches which are pretty much "uninteresting"--but then we speed up. I took over 200 photos of large "lake" houses on this last trip--fascinating how people live along the way!
sebastien

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello bob from Thataway.
I am very grateful for all the input and advice I’ve gotten on the wide range of topics I posted.
I am now gearing up to open up the V-birth for storage…
purchase a fridge and set up the accompanying solar…

I sure am trying to “keep it simple sailor” but those creature comforts seem important for long term livability!
specially mostly on the hook.

June 1st (weather permitting) I will put it in gear and shove off!

now for a much more precise new topic...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: