View previous topic :: View next topic  
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Mayday, yesterday, Sucia Island Reply with quote

We were on our way home yesterday from Shallow Bay, Sucia after a week and a half in the Gulf Islands. As we were southeast of Matia we hear a "MAYDAY, MAYDAY...40 foot wooden trawler hit a submerged rock, mouth of Ewing Cove! Listing 40*. Wife and dog in the dinghy!!"

Coast Guard chimes up as do several boaters much closer than us. Captain of the aground vessel says he hit an "uncharted rock". Since the lat/long numbers he provided were close to us, my wife looks up Ewing Cove, while I drive.

From the Waggoner's: "We have reports of a rock in Ewing Cove's southern entrance, from Echo Bay. The rock is east of a white can that marks a fish haven, shown on large scale chart 18431. We are told the rock is black and hard to see, and feeds on propellers at low tide. Be extra cautious..."

Low tide yesterday for Echo Bay: 0840 hours, -0.61'. This happened around 0915. As we rounded the northern tip of Lummi Island the CG fast-boat was smoking in that direction. Sounds like no one was injured, but I have no other info on the outcome. Boat named Halcion. Captain said at the time he did not know if the boat was taking on water or not.

westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact boats of various types and sizes hit rocks or run aground in the SJI every year. Others end up on the rocks due to engine failures. I’ve seen a few doozies. Some rocks are visible only on low tide. Most are charted. We were in Active Cove at Patos last weekend and some suggested leaving through the small Southern channel. Not this kid. In some areas ( Lopez sound comes to mind) you’re running well offshore, only to realize you’re in 5-6’ of water. Very scary at 30 mph!! Have fun but proceed with caution.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westward wrote:
In fact boats of various types and sizes hit rocks or run aground in the SJI every year. Others end up on the rocks due to engine failures. I’ve seen a few doozies. Some rocks are visible only on low tide. Most are charted. We were in Active Cove at Patos last weekend and some suggested leaving through the small Southern channel. Not this kid. In some areas ( Lopez sound comes to mind) you’re running well offshore, only to realize you’re in 5-6’ of water. Very scary at 30 mph!! Have fun but proceed with caution.

Where I live running in 5-6 feet of water is pretty common. You can be a mile out and still be in water that deep. A lot of the marked channels are only 6' deep. I only start to get nervous when the water gets to be 3' or less.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have from 12" at an extreme winter low to about 4 feet going in and out of the channel to our house, and 12 miles of water no more than 6 feet deep to the ICW. But the bottom is at a uniform depth--the only hazard might be a log which washed down the river system.

The PNW has lots of rocks--and 5 feet may mean 1 foot in a few seconds...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
. . .The PNW has lots of rocks--and 5 feet may mean 1 foot in a few seconds...

Exactly. You can have your boat within a couple of feet of the shore and have more than 100 feet of water beneath you. Or . . .

Looking at the shorelines is often the best indicator of what the sea bed is going to be like nearby. Bumpy, rocky, islands often mean bumpy, rocky, underwater topography. Fjord-like inlets may have the same steep, jagged, random peaks just below the surface as you see on the adjacent land. Add in 15 to 20 foot tide swings, and you realize just how important charts, sounders, and local knowledge are. When in doubt, go slow!

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fascinated & surprised that what the unfortunate mariner said via the VHF may, in fact, be true. That that rock is un-charted. Yet, there the info was in the Waggoner Guide. We have never been in that cove, but you can bet we will enter from the other side (east) as recommended.

I know the SJI have numerous rocks that are infamous for being hit. My brother will not venture into the Yellow/Wasp Islands. He has a sailboat with a 6' draw (keel) and fears hitting something. Yet we have been all through there with no problems, whatsoever.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NORO LIM wrote:
thataway wrote:
. . .The PNW has lots of rocks--and 5 feet may mean 1 foot in a few seconds...

Exactly. You can have your boat within a couple of feet of the shore and have more than 100 feet of water beneath you. Or . . .

Looking at the shorelines is often the best indicator of what the sea bed is going to be like nearby. Bumpy, rocky, islands often mean bumpy, rocky, underwater topography. Fjord-like inlets may have the same steep, jagged, random peaks just below the surface as you see on the adjacent land. Add in 15 to 20 foot tide swings, and you realize just how important charts, sounders, and local knowledge are. When in doubt, go slow!

Charts are good but they are not invincible. Much of our PNW waters are way deep -- 100, 300, that shallow. 500 plus is not uncommon. If I am anywhere with less than 50 feet, I have the bottom scan on and if it is coming up, I am slowing down, checking positions and both plotters for obstructions.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: