Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebastian, wow, it sound like your plan is progessing really well, you seem to be able to take all our scattered advice and come up with a clear plan that really makes sense for your trip, it is a great start and you will learn as you go as we all did and refine what works best for you.
Boating for me is having a dream about where I want to be and solving every problem and obstacle to get there with the limited resources I have. It took me years to rebuild my old steel cruiser. But we did get down to the sea of Cortez that I had traveled and loved by land years before. We ended up having some magical times. One memory; we were anchored in beautiful little bay, some fellow cruisers anchored across the bay invited us over for drinks and snacks to watch the sunset and as often happens with new friends we talked about life and family far into the night. As we climbed into the dinghy to return to our boat it was a dark night full of stars from horizon to horizon, the sea was calm, so smooth and quiet. Then the magic happened, the bay was full of fosforecence the propeller left a blue-green jet trail extending far astern, we looked down and the multitude of fish we were passing over were zooming across below us creating a streaking light show, jet trails of bright blue and green, a large streak passed below, a seal that then popped up for a breath, we had a small outboard, we were going slowly home across the mile wide bay drinking in the amazing beauty of the night, a forever memory. This is why we go, create memories, absorb all our great would has to offer. I can imagine your loop and all you will experience, it will be great!

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very interesting, but...

“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes,
but in having new eyes.” ---Marcel Proust

Aye.

Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, good old Marcel, I got so bored in class reading that stuff, so I left, built a boat at 24 and sailed through storms, helped Polynesian villagers rethatch their houses, gave a group of firewalkers a lift back to their home island, met their chief who invited us to anchor in his cove and where some of the little children in a dugout canoe cried in fear at their first look at white people until they saw we were as they. Spending 52 days watching the sun, the moon, rise and set, each different, as our latitude changed with never a sight of land in till landfall was made 6,000 miles of voyage having slipped beneath my keel.

But my voyage, that is how I discovered lands and life's truths I had never learned in class. No one will ever quote what I have learned, as like all great truths it is mine alone.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being reactive and boasting on one's individual accomplishments and
travels is missing the depth of the post.

We all have our own paths. We do what we do and see what we see
all, perhaps, differently than others not realizing, for most, living
our lives is merely an illusion.

I find looking at things below the surface level gives a more intense
satisfying perspective than being concerned with all the surface stuff.
It's taken time to do. Not religious, per se, just a point of view.

Good luck on all that and be all you can be.

Aye.

* Doing nothing is still doing.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting that in telling the tale of finding my truths in life and opening my eyes to the world outside a classroom that I had never seen or imagined existed and encouraging Sebastian on his possibly life changing loop voyage, that you would see me as boasting about what I did and missing the point that I worked for years night and day to build a vessel so I could have new adventures, see the world, spending 52 days at sea, being part of the sun and moons endless voyages across the sky is a way that I entered an almost dreamlike world of inner discovery that I could never have discovered reading a textbook philosopher. Some of my friends back then took acid to see the world differently, some of my friends joined the army went to Vietnam killed people and were shot and nearly killed themselves, ever after they looked at the world through different eyes. Reading the posts that have been written here over the years I would never presume to boast about any of my accomplishments, so many here have done amazing things many of them things I don't have the talent to accomplish. Bob being the first and formost.

R.I. P. my lifelong friend Ranger Capitan Reed Farington awarded the Silver Star, 2 bronze stars and 3 purple hearts you helped me see the world through your eyes.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Sebastien, I see that I have been misspelling your name.
sebastien

City/Region: philadelphia
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: kittiwake
Photos: Kittiwake
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah from Sierra you don’t need to apologize for a small typo.
Foggy from W B Nod I really like that sun / rain cover you made (in your album)

We are certainly digressing from the nitty gritty of my inquiries but there certainly are more interesting things to ponder than anchor rode and Rocna vs. Manson for sure.

I never did read proust but the idea that “the real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes” seems like a beautiful way of saying that the real destination of any journey (in books, travel, adventure, friendships, relationships, periods of growth and difficulty (life)) ought to be a transformation of ourselves, and expansion of our perspective and an appreciation of our own point of view.
And that seems like the stuff of a life lived.

Oh boy we’re not talking about C-dorys anymore…

So, how about that Deck pipe placement - anyone?

Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cut a hole through your foredeck where there is a balsa core, the core must be cut back and filled with epoxy filler to prevent wet core rot. There are a lot of earlier posts on the subject if you need help with how. To prevent the line and chain from stacking up and blocking your deck pipe it is best if it is as far back as practical in your anchor locker space, and as you mentioned enough to the side that you have the option of adding a windless later (on the starboard side if you are right handed). I think using a good hole saw for as much as possible on fiberglass is easier than a jig saw. Always measure above and below twice or more and cut once!
This is all pretty basic, I hope I'm not telling you things you already know.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: deck pipe Reply with quote

We put in a deck pipe when our Windlass started to act up It was a 400 Horizon from Simpson- Lewers .I then installed a 700 series which plugged almost right in .(needed to drill an extra hole) but otherwise works nice .
But now we have a deck pipe if windlass goes south so we still can access anchor BTW I went with solid chain instead of chain /line . Since we hardly ever anchor out it works for us Jim

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple thoughts about having a windless.

1) I consider them a safety item. Do you really want to go out on the bow in a storm to raise the anchor. I watched one night as a friend had to crawl out on the bow in the middle of a storm to reset the anchor with an all chain rode. Scared me to death.

2)A Lumar 700 Horizontal would work great on your boat. I’ve never seen a vertical windless on a 22

3) I usually use about 7 times more line than the distance measured from the bow to the bottom at night.

4)I do not have a deck pipe on my boat. If the windless broke I can still let the line down through the windless.

Have a great trip👍

Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
sebastien

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate all the feedback I’ve been getting from everyone.
I’ve been trying to reply to each new post but I am loosing track a little bit..
I am spending a couple of weeks on Swans Island in Maine and this is my nightly home work once my hosts retire.

Yes I am familiar with the technique of over drilling, under-cutting and epoxying screw holes with balsa cored construction and
will use the same process fo the actual large hole of the deck pipe.

I’ve been reading the posts about replacing those stupidly installed lazaret covers on the later model boats (mine has the built in kind thankfully)

What I did not know is the nitty gritty of the materials to do this with and
so far I have learned to use west system 105 with 206 or 209 hardeners deeding on season.
I have learned to thicken it with medium density filler for the larger holes like for my deck pipe so it stays in place.
and I have derived the idea that whenever possible it is best to just use a nut and bolt rather than a “wood” screw into the epoxy to prevent cracks etc.

It seems “Dr. bob” from Thataway doesn’t like to seat things with 3M 5200 and likes Boatlife “Lifeseal” better (Both urethanes though).
Maybe Dr. Bob ought to put a "Complete guide to C-dory maintenance and upgrades" book - I would buy it for sure!

SO MUCH TO LEARN! but the C-Brats website makes it feel like a joyful community shared experience rather than feel like a lonely web-research rabbit hole obsession.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I look forward to getting back to Philly and Pompano (soon to be renamed Kittiwake) and start work.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us see 5200 as a glue, the bond so strong some boat decks are glued to the hull with it. 4200 is better if the part may at some time be removed. Practical Sailor has some great testing articles on many different caulks. I like having a deck pipe big enough to reach through in case the chain stacks up high enough to block the windlass.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 5200 bond can be separated with a heat gun, a razor blade, and a little muscle. The thing about 5200 is that it does not get hard like epoxy does, so it is fairly susceptible to cutting apart.

There are also solvents that cut it.
sebastien

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Micah I am planning on getting a larger oval deck pipe for ease of feeding in and out but didn't think of literally reaching in there sometimes - good point.

I've only ever heard good things about 5200 when used for the right applications.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right applications is the key, I used to use 5200 on almost everything and had a strong distrust of silicone. There are a whole range of different caulks to learn. Polyurethanes are great below the waterline but can degrade a lot of the clear plastics, polysufides are good for bedding and are fuel and oil resistant, silicones are good on the clear plastics, the butyls can be found in a tape form. They all have there place except as I have said before, the cheap latex based caulks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: