View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Eastern Washington newbie c dory 22 training wanted Reply with quote

Maybe this is a long shot but i’m a Total Rookie looking for someone to walk me through their boat. Absolute basic operating and quirks, general maintenance discussion, short hop out on water somewhere. Willing to pay for time and expenses. Past boat experience limited to work skiffs in Elliot Bay, Livingston’s and small aluminum outboards on Puget Sound, and paddling lakes and rivers. I’ve never had the keys to a boat as capable as a c Dory and don’t know anyone nearby interested in anything other than high speed Columbia river salmon boats or suicidal kayak runs over boulders. A mentor would be great but an hour or two of an experienced skippers time would point me in the right direction. I am in the Methow Valley, close to Pateros, Chelan, And the upper Columbia. Looking to buy a boat soon but wanting a little time on one first. I am a steady hands on learner who has previously operated drill rigs, had a CDL, can run and work with most any power tool. Not a mechanical dufus, just new to these particular machines and wanting to climb aboard one before making a final decision. If you are a kind hearted teacher or a crusty old salt who likes to yell at FNGs, doesn’t matter i’ve Worked with and for em all. Let’s come to terms on compensation and Help me get out on the water!

Nigel Dunn
Carlton, WA
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I still had my 22. My 27 is not a direct comparison. i have done several day classes for other in the past.
SnowTexan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
Wish I still had my 22. My 27 is not a direct comparison. i have done several day classes for other in the past.

Wish I could swing a 27 Very Happy

Thank you anyway!
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know any good cutthroat water on Methow?

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
SnowTexan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromer wrote:
Know any good cutthroat water on Methow?

It’s pretty low right now and fishing looks good where people are tossing a fly around evening hatches with this warm weather, but honestly it’s walking distance to the river and I don’t even fish it! I’m pretty much a food only hunter/fisher and stick to the places I can bring home a bit of meat. Now if steelhead ever opens again that’s another story... I know some pockets of nearby west slope cuts but it’s not in the river! You heading this way?
SVal

City/Region: Elma
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Pacemaker
Photos: Pacemaker
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Newby training Reply with quote

I live on the west side and fish east often. In Nov. early I'll be in N. Idaho fishing. The kokanee on Chelan are too small this year for my attention but possibly the Sockeye your way might still being caught. I'm open to ideas, have many years of experience on the water, delivering boats to the artic ocean used to be my gig etc. 22' C-Dory hard to beat.
SnowTexan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Newby training Reply with quote

SVal wrote:
I live on the west side and fish east often. In Nov. early I'll be in N. Idaho fishing. The kokanee on Chelan are too small this year for my attention but possibly the Sockeye your way might still being caught. I'm open to ideas, have many years of experience on the water, delivering boats to the artic ocean used to be my gig etc. 22' C-Dory hard to beat.

Thank you! I am heading into the backcountry for a hunt this week, but when I get back maybe we can work something out for Fall. We may head out towards the coast before November and maybe I could hire a bit of your time closer to your neck of the woods. Are you fishing c’da or pend oreille areas?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have shown my boat to several folk over the years and would be glad to show it again if you are in the area. At this point I have no plans to get over to Chelan yet this fall, but it could happen although not likely anything can happen. Should that happen, I would be glad to take you aboard. You should know that that could be a life changing event, and tends to be habit forming. If you are heading this way, (West of Seattle), please PM me.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

SnowTexan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I have shown my boat to several folk over the years and would be glad to show it again if you are in the area. At this point I have no plans to get over to Chelan yet this fall, but it could happen although not likely anything can happen. Should that happen, I would be glad to take you aboard. You should know that that could be a life changing event, and tends to be habit forming. If you are heading this way, (West of Seattle), please PM me.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Thank you! Are you running out Sequim? We looked for a place out there a couple years back. Beautiful place, just too crowded for us and wife couldn’t (read: wouldn’t) hack the rain once you round the PA corner of the peninsula. I could see making a trip out there in Fall if you have a free morning and the weather cooperates.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain, What rain? Yup Skwim. I had to take the freeway home today cause there was too much traffic to get through town Crook Twisted Evil And it rained tonight too. Generally a nice place

I just got back from 40 days on the boat. The house is still rocking, and I almost didn't get a shower because I couldn't find where to put the Loonies in (DCN1$ coin) to get the water to run.

Not all bad though. The boat is in the shed and goes to the mechanics for service again next week. (That's twice this year -- about 225 hours for this season.) Oh, and it is a great boat. Yup, I may be here, and I might be out on the water.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey is a most excellent teacher, cool, calm, and collected. Graciously gave me a check out ride and docking lessons in my own new-to-me 22 cruiser. I had boat experience but over 35 years ago and was a bit rusty and corroded... I still hear his sound advice in my head every time I come in to dock; "Don't go faster than the speed you what you want to hit things". Very good advice among many other nuggets of wisdom.
SnowTexan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:

I just got back from 40 days on the boat. The house is still rocking, and I almost didn't get a shower because I couldn't find where to put the Loonies in (DCN1$ coin) to get the water to run

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

I came back from a week in the subalpine basins and was looking for a safe tree to relieve myself behind in the yard. 40 days on a boat and I just might keep a 5 gallon bucket behind the shed for such confusing transitions. Happy to hear you figured out the shower though! Love the high country but My knees are only in their 40’s and are whining more each trip. Salt water adventures maybe a little better on them. Got your PM, and will reply this afternoon thanks
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, Now you're gonna go and get him all expectin stuff. Sometimes I do get lucky. Shocked

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

SnowTexan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Sharp wrote:
Harvey is a most excellent teacher, cool, calm, and collected. Graciously gave me a check out ride and docking lessons in my own new-to-me 22 cruiser. I had boat experience but over 35 years ago and was a bit rusty and corroded... I still hear his sound advice in my head every time I come in to dock; "Don't go faster than the speed you what you want to hit things". Very good advice among many other nuggets of wisdom.

That sounds like the kind of advice I need! Understated and accurate. Thanks for the interest and recommendation
SnowTexan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was extremely fortunate this past week to have not one but TWO cruises on SleepyC with Harvey. If Harvey’s hospitality and easy going attitude on the water are representative of the C brats in general then the boating world is lucky to have you! Can’t thank you enough Harvey!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: