City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
Congrats! Wow, you're a VERY patient and methodical man.
When you go out for ice cream does it take you an hour to decide on a flavor?? Lol

Ben And Jerry's Cherry Garcia please, or a suitable sub.
Desert Dory

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moxieabs wrote:
in addition to San Carlos, there is Bahia Kino & Roosevelt Lake. I was a Sierra Vista zonie for 10 years.

Micahbigsur@msn.com wrote:
We really enjoy the"lost coast" north of San Carlos, beautiful remote coves and incredible desert hikes.

We'll have to get down there sometime, hopefully this winter. There's another Brat here in Tucson I was PM'ing with who goes down there once in awhile. Hopefully they'll let us tag along next time they go.
Desert Dory

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
Pworm14 wrote:
C-Sharp wrote:
Hello Allen, and welcome to the site by a newbie and part time 'Zoner. Lot's of good guidance and advice from some pretty terrific people here on this site. Oh, and make sure you attend one of the CBGTs! We did just recently and were so warmly welcomed into the fold that my wife has become so enthusiastic about cruising and meeting like-minded people.
Cheers!

- Steve

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed there's no Powell gathering this year.

Where in AZ do you spend time Steve?

There should be a group gather at Oak Canyon, about mile 50. The organization is a bit loose, and doesn't usually come together until later in the season. Normally the third Saturday in September.

Thanks Brent. I haven't seen anything in the "gatherings" forum but I'll keep an eye out.

I've been planning a 5 night, North Rim "overland" trip with a friend for late Sept and already put in for the required permits. I may have to wait until next year to do a Powell Brat gathering, However, since they're right next door to each other I might have to try and do both. We'll see how it works out.
Desert Dory

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after 10 days, 3,978 miles, to Ohio and back, we arrived home in Tucson this afternoon.

Wow, that was quite the long haul. We had absolutely zero issues over the entire trip, for which we are very thankful.

2 nights spent in the back of the truck and 4 nights on the Dory. Last night, shamefully, was spent in a cool vintage hotel in Van Horn Texas. Laughing

Now to start planning the next adventure.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear it was an "uneventful" trip home. Yep, now the real fun begins.

A "cool vintage hotel" in Van Horn... yeah, some a/c would probably be good this time of year there, even at that elevation. That is a long ol' haul across west Texas.

Congrats on your new boat! Thumbs Up
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your story is like a lot of other Brats. Saw the boat years or decades ago, life interrupted, never lost your fondness, then blamo!, one comes along unexpectedly that you can't refuse. That's really exciting, and I'm happy for you two. If your plan is to eventually go everywhere, we'll no doubt see you one day up here in the corner.
Have fun with your new family member.
Cview

City/Region: Phoenix
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-VIEW II
Photos: C-VIEW
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another AZ C-Dory owner checking in. Congratulations on your purchase. See our photos for modifications made to our 22' boat before we sold it and purchased our 2006 C-Dory 25 - C-View II

We're in Phoenix. We've cruised Lake Powell, Catalina Island, Sacramento Delta, Salt River chain of lakes, etc.. Our closest lake is Lake Pleasant where we enjoy raft-ups with Lake Pleasant Sailing Club boats.

Tony
Desert Dory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
Good to hear it was an "uneventful" trip home. Yep, now the real fun begins.

A "cool vintage hotel" in Van Horn... yeah, some a/c would probably be good this time of year there, even at that elevation. That is a long ol' haul across west Texas.

Congrats on your new boat! Thumbs Up

Thanks Jim.
Yeah, uneventful is good and, yes, let the mods begin!!!

We had a portable a/c unit in the boat for the trip. It actually did better than I thought it would but still not ideal. If you happen to get stuck out in the Van Horn area check out the El Capitan, it's pretty cool.

Catman wrote:
Your story is like a lot of other Brats. Saw the boat years or decades ago, life interrupted, never lost your fondness, then blamo!, one comes along unexpectedly that you can't refuse. That's really exciting, and I'm happy for you two. If your plan is to eventually go everywhere, we'll no doubt see you one day up here in the corner.
Have fun with your new family member.

Thank you, and you're right Catman, it does seem to be a common story for a lot of us C-Brat wannabe's.

San Juans hopefully in a couple of years.

Cview wrote:
Another AZ C-Dory owner checking in. Congratulations on your purchase. See our photos for modifications made to our 22' boat before we sold it and purchased our 2006 C-Dory 25 - C-View II

We're in Phoenix. We've cruised Lake Powell, Catalina Island, Sacramento Delta, Salt River chain of lakes, etc.. Our closest lake is Lake Pleasant where we enjoy raft-ups with Lake Pleasant Sailing Club boats.

Tony

Thank you Tony!

Hey, I'm pretty sure we checked out your 22 when you had it up for sale several years ago. If I remember correctly, you had recently picked up the 25 and, even though I ID'd myself as just a looky loo, you said no problem, come check it out. Myself, the Mrs, and my daughter showed up at your door and you showed us the 22 AND the 25. You had a Montgomery sail boat in the shed with the 25 too, if I recall??

That's what makes this community so great! It's folks like yourself that will take a bit of time out of their busy lives to let dreamers, like myself, poke around, ask questions, and keep that fire burning.

Allen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: