New Boat!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSturm

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: JSturm
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: New Boat! Reply with quote

We recently welcomed the newest addition to our family…

Last year, we (my wife, 6-year old son, and I) resettled in the Pacific Northwest after a couple of years of undirected wandering about. And, as a retired Sailor living on an island, we needed a boat. We've owned a few sailboats over the years, but agreed that a power boat makes more sense to us at this point in our lives. The search was on—I’ve always loved the C-Dory and didn't really look at anything else. After a month or so of searching, we finally found a 2000 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sitting in the South Sound and looking for a new home. So…here we are!

A little background: In 2016, after retiring from the Navy, we sold our home in Everett, WA and spent the next 2-½ years traveling around the country in our Airstream Travel Trailer. In the late-summer of 2018—after 42,000-miles, 32 states, and 102 National Park Sites—we came to the conclusion that we were ready to settle down and couldn't think of anywhere we liked better than Puget Sound. We now own a small farmlet in Coupeville on Whidbey Island.

I crabbed from my kayak when we lived in Everett, so I’m looking forward to dropping some crab pots in the next week or so. As far as fishing, although I’m an avid fly fisherman, I’m a complete newbie to Puget Sound gear fishing beyond simple mooching from a kayak. In fact, I never caught a Salmon until last year while fly fishing from a beach on the Island. However, I’m planning on getting some down riggers and getting out on the water this year in time for the Silvers.

Anyhow, I wanted to say, “Hi!” and introduce myself. Also, as a new C-Dory owner (and a fairly new power boater, beyond driving Navy ships!), I’m open to any C-Dory advice, as well as any Puget Sound fishing advice or assistance…all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Jeff

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, and congratulations on the C Dory 22. You will find that many of the c Dory owners are "ex sailors". Lots of fantastic cruising--some of the best in the entire World--in your area.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Jeff!

That's a great 22 you purchased, my wife and I owned her for 5 years before selling her to the folks you purchased from.

That boat is very "fishy" as we caught many salmon in Puget Sound, Sekiu, Neah Bay, out on the coast at Westport and the west coast of Vancouver Island up at Nootka Sound. Also lots of crab and shrimp, too.

I installed the rocket launcher on top, built the pvc storage rack and also the cooler rack over the splash well.

We also cruised a lot in the Sound and the San Juans.

I'm getting a little misty eyed just thinking about all the fun times.
I look forward to seeing you out and about on your fine C Dory.

Patrick

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
Jeffvann001

City/Region: Gastonia
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Carolina Breeze
Photos: Carolina Breeze
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: New Boat Reply with quote

Jeff, welcome from the east coast area and congratulations!
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the group. If you are into fly fishing check out Pass lake near Anacortes. Also look up Dwight here on the sight. Nice guy and very in to fly fishing. I go with him when I feel like swinging a fly. He is a cdory owner in anacortes. You are in the right place .
JSturm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salmon Fisher wrote:
Congratulations Jeff!

That's a great 22 you purchased, my wife and I owned her for 5 years before selling her to the folks you purchased from.

That boat is very "fishy" as we caught many salmon in Puget Sound, Sekiu, Neah Bay, out on the coast at Westport and the west coast of Vancouver Island up at Nootka Sound. Also lots of crab and shrimp, too.

I installed the rocket launcher on top, built the pvc storage rack and also the cooler rack over the splash well.

We also cruised a lot in the Sound and the San Juans.

I'm getting a little misty eyed just thinking about all the fun times.
I look forward to seeing you out and about on your fine C Dory.

Patrick

Patrick,

Thanks! I was going to contact you because I discovered the ghost image of "Kim Christine" as I was buffing and waxing her today...I figured there couldn't have been someone else using that name...

PVC Rack and Cooler Rack are both long gone. If you don't mind, I would like to hit you up for info as I get used to her? I've played the nautical archeologist game with previous sailboats, so having a connection with two of the previous owners is a big win!

Thanks again!
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the madness ( managed)! Enjoy it.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Jeff, and welcome. By the way, which Airstream were you two able to full-time in? I would also be interested in any observations you may have about that, too.
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Jeff, thanks for jumping in and sharing your happy news. You made a smart choice. That's pretty cool that you can talk to former owners and get a barge load of helpful information on our site. Have fun, and we'll see you out there!
Brock
JSturm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillE wrote:
Congrats, Jeff, and welcome. By the way, which Airstream were you two able to full-time in? I would also be interested in any observations you may have about that, too.

The three of us (plus dog) full timed in our 2013 Airstream Flying Cloud 30FB Bunk (known colloquially as the 30 Bunk - you can find them on social media (Instagram, for example) by searching for the hastag #30bunkclub ). An entering argument for us was separate sleeping quarters (one for our son and one for my wife & me) that didn't have to be set-up/broken down each night/day. The 30 Bunk has a queen bedroom up front and a bunk arrangement in the rear (full bed on bottom, small twin bunk up top) and met that criteria.

Prior to launching on our full time trip, we looked at a lot of different options. We've always loved Airstreams but didn't think they had a model that would work for us. With everything else I was doing, I didn't have the bandwidth to refurbish an older one to make it exactly what we wanted, so we thought because of our sleeping arrangement requirement we were stuck with a 5th wheel or class A. However, we discovered the 30 Bunk on a trip to the local Airstream dealership. We were sold immediately and my wife said that it was that model or nothing...

We LOVED our Airstream and it was awesome for full timing--I can't imagine doing it any other way. Quality materials and manufacture, resale value, simplicity of systems, quintessential American style, and *relatively* small footprint are all part of the appeal. Frankly, I could go on and on about the qualities of an Airstream that made it the right choice for us, but it might be best to answer any specific questions if you're really interested. Suffice it to say that many of the reasons one chooses a C-Dory are similar to the reasons one would choose an Airstream.

Hope this helps!
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great answer, thanks!.
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
You bet. Sent you a PM.
Patrick
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Jeff and family. Great to have more new owners close, almost like neighbors -- Sequim is not that far away and it's only water in between. You will find the C-BRATS is a great place and lots of great info here, good folk, as you have already discovered, enjoy our boats. (Just returned from 40 days on mine , up to the North end of Vancouver island.)

Enjoy, and stay safe.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: New Boat! Reply with quote

JSturm wrote:

Anyhow, I wanted to say, “Hi!” and introduce myself. Also, as a new C-Dory owner (and a fairly new power boater, beyond driving Navy ships!), I’m open to any C-Dory advice, as well as any Puget Sound fishing advice or assistance…all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Welcome to a great new addiction!! Laughing Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: