View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: LPG heater Reply with quote

An alternative to a diesel heater. Uses propane or similar gases. Seems to be popular in Europe for van conversions. About US$600. I have no personal experience with them. Like everything else, there are various pros and cons and I'm not going to get into them. Just giving some info.

https://www.propexheatsource.com/
https://www.propexheatsource.com/marine-heating/
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look good, in some ways comparable to the Espar and other marine heaters
One element to consider is about the 2 amp draw when on, so battery amp hours are a consideration as added to the total load.
I don't see that it is ABYC certified or allowed in marine use or construction, this could affect your insurance if you have a claim. Have to check with your insurance company, European certification may not be enough here.

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
Yakmandu

City/Region: Lake Lanier
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Miss April
Photos: Pops GO!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Info relating to marine applications...

https://www.propexheatsource.com/marine-heating/

Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did look at that part of their website and that is where I noticed that it does not contain US certification.
I went through this process looking for a new stove and the one we wanted did not pass our insurance because it was not US certified and any claims resulting from it would have been denied, so you would need to check with your insurance company.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these that I made into a portable and use it in my off-road trailer and my cargo trailer. They are a very efficient and quite heater. The only downside would be the propane.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
I have one of these that I made into a portable and use it in my off-road trailer and my cargo trailer. They are a very efficient and quite heater. The only downside would be the propane.

Some people have propane stoves or grills, so I don't think propane is that much of an issue. You could set it up so that all the propane and heater are outside and you just have air inlets and outlets inside the cabin. Like how some people have the heater in the undercarriage of their RVs.

IME, the European regulations are more stringent than the US, particularly when it comes to health and safety. We in the US would consider their rules to be onerous and wouldn't stand for that sort of nanny state crap. But if the LPG heater meets EU regulations, it is way safer than what you'd find in the US.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with the propane really. I just think the diesel solutions are less complex. The Propex heater requires the intake and exhausts tube be a certain length or you will have flameout issues.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the spoiler about propane. (My back up to the induction burner is the small 1# common bottles, which I keep inside PVC pipe on the side of the splash well. I have had well designed systems on my larger cruising boat for cooking only)

Even with the ;propane heater in the cockpit there are risks. The propane is heavier than air, and a leak can accumulate in the cockpit. The same standards apply for in the cockpit as the cabin. A solenoid or manual shut off at the tank, with a "sniffer" in the lowest part of the bilge (cockpit floor). Also storage of the propane tanks where any fumes/gas drains overboard. (A totally sealed Lazarette with drains overboard to the side will meet this requirement).

My personal issue with propane for a heater, is the in-connivance of getting tanks filled. Diesel seems like a better option--less risk, and easier to obtain.

Are these "marine" units designed for outside installation? The installation in an RV is entirely different than in the cockpit of a boat. Yes, I have LP for cooking (use the induction any way), refrigeration and heating in the RV--but the 30 gallon tank is under the unit, all except the stove are vented to the outside--and I have 2 shut off valves--one at the tank, and one (with a sniffer) as the propane enters from below the floor. I also have electric options, and use those 90 % of the time.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you have to be rigorous about safety with propane, so many carelessly and unprofessionally installed systems have obliterated boats and their owners, ABYC installation standards are no joke. The list of tiny details is long and leaving any one out can spell disaster. And even in a well designed system solenoids seem to fail around salt water, lines rot and leak and sniffers have to be checked out often, a lot of maintenance. That said I always have liked the convenience of cooking on propane. Our alcohol stove sucks so most is on the rail mount barbi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: