The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Seller & Buyer in different states - how to trailer lega

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dream

City/Region: St. Michaels
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mermaid's Dream
Photos: ~Mermaid's Dream~
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Seller & Buyer in different states - how to trailer lega Reply with quote

My buyer lives in another state - what is the best way for him to get the boat and trailer home?

The dmv offices in each of our states do not give out temporary tags for trailers.

For those of you that purchased out of state - how did you handle transportating?

TIA,
Dottie

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally you have 30 days to get the tag for a trailer. Many states do not "title" smaller trailers like boat trailers. Generally LEO will accept bills of sale--and you have a certain time to buy the tag--a little different than a car or truck, If--and that is a big IF, you are stopped, the bill of sale is sufficient. In over 60 years of trailering boats, I have never had anyone ask to see trailer registration papers. (I do carry them always. still).

It is extremely important to have insurance on the boat before it is transported. That boat insurance coverage includes the trailer.

I have handled it different ways--one was to have the seller allow the buyer to use his tag. If tags were kept--then it was mailed back to him. I did this when I sold "Thisaway", the last 22. When I picked up my 25, (before I had sold the 22) I used the tag off the 22 trailer--since it was going to be transferred to the 25's trailer.

When I bought the boat in New Mexico, and trailered it to Las Vegas, I used a similar method-the tag which was going to be assigned to that trailer. In Florida you keep the tags, and transfer to another vehicle. Some states the tag remains with the vehicle.

In your case, I would allow the buyer to use your tag to get the boat home--and have him mail back the tag to you--and provide evidence that he had registered the boat in his home or destination state. Provide a written bill of sale, and "permission" for him to use the tag to get the boat home. Also some states separate the sale of the boat, motor, accessories and trailer. Florida is one of those states--if a private sale, you only pay tax on the boat. The trailer tag and tax is separate--nothing paid on motor and accessories.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Dream

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the information.

I’ve told my buyer to take a look at your response and then check with his DMV for their recommendation.

I let the registration on the trailer lapse since I wasn’t using the boat so using my plate isn’t an option.

Thank you again,
Dottie
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send him the registration/title/BOS/whatever his state needs so he can get his own trailer plates before he comes to pick it up.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Send him the registration/title/BOS/whatever his state needs so he can get his own trailer plates before he comes to pick it up.

That will work, unlesss the state requires the trailer (only means the boat has to be off the trailer) weight. Florida requires a certified scale weight of the trailer before it will issue registration or plates. I have also had to had a LEO or DMV verify that the VIN of the trailer matches the one on registration or title on a couple of occasions.

Another issue, is if the trailer is at a distance, and you drive 1500 miles to sea trial and survey the boat, you don't want to go home, get a trailer license, then drive another 1500 miles back to trailer home the boat.

Last edited by thataway on Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
jkswor

City/Region: tok
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Missy marie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my boat and trailer in New Mexico I sent the paperwork along with a power of attorney to my daughter in Alaska
She got the tags and sent to me
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In California the DMV must inspect the trailer before it can be licensed, check the buyers state. Can you reregister the trailer for the buyer so he can use your tags? That might be the easiest.
1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:

In my state at least, you can always turn the plates back in and get a refund if the deal falls through.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can provide proof of insurance for the boat and trailer, the tow vehicle, and a bill of sale and title transfer paperwork with a very recent date on it to the police when pulled over, they'll likely let it go. Its completely reasonable to transport and get the tag in your home state as long as you have all your paperwork in order.
Alan

City/Region: Endicott
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Katyusha
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all situations, the buyer is responsible after the sale is completed. Therefore, it is up to the buyer to follow all registration and insurance requirements.

Worst case scenario: there is an accident on the way home. A trailer tire blows. There is a multiple vehicle pileup with loss of life and property. Then the question of ownership is important. Don't try the case here. The fact finding body (court) will decide.

So, as a seller, document the sale with a signed bill of sale, and leave it up to the buyer to manage his, or her, property.

All the best in the future.

Dream

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!

Thank you all for your responses!

As it turns out - my buyer has a trailer for his 22' sailboat and is going to take the plate off of it and bring it with him and will put it on my/his trailer when we complete the transaction.

Thank you again for all your help - I'm really going to miss being a part of this group.

Dottie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: